Thinking of buying the Galaxy S3

ctrlaltdefeat

Reaction score
Adding a second line to my account and thinking about the S3. I've never used a droid before and I'm curious about a few things so I turn to you guys. One of the biggest things for me is watching movies and tv shows. I was wondering if the Vlc media player was an available app on this phone.

And how about data packages? Who is the best carrier for data? AT&T? Sprint?

k1ngr4t

Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Z Force
Yeah the VLC app is available. Not sure about specifics, but I know everybody eventually coverts to Verizon. Not necessarily for the data, but for the coverage and the customer service.

music life

Reaction score
Sprint is prolly the cheapest... But you get what you pay for. Which is why everyone switches to vzw. coverage and speed over powers cost imo

OP
C

ctrlaltdefeat

Reaction score
Yeah the VLC app is available. Not sure about specifics, but I know everybody eventually coverts to Verizon. Not necessarily for the data, but for the coverage and the customer service.

Thanks for the response. I had Verizon in the past and won't touch them.

OP
C

ctrlaltdefeat

Reaction score

Thanks for the response. I had Verizon in the past and won't touch them.

OP
C

ctrlaltdefeat

Reaction score
Carriers

Sprint is prolly the cheapest... But you get what you pay for. Which is why everyone switches to vzw. coverage and speed over powers cost imo

I'm not concerned with cost. Sprint offers unlimited data so I was thinking about going with them.

You mentioned speed as one of the reasons to go with Verizon. Does speed over the Internet change with carriers? That confuses me somewhat. If one phone has 4g and the other has 4g aren't the speeds the same?

music life

Reaction score
I'm not concerned with cost. Sprint offers unlimited data so I was thinking about going with them.

You mentioned speed as one of the reasons to go with Verizon. Does speed over the Internet change with carriers? That confuses me somewhat. If one phone has 4g and the other has 4g aren't the speeds the same?

Umm I dont think so? Dunno how accurate it really is.
4G LTE Network | Verizon Wireless

k1ngr4t

Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Z Force
I wouldn't say the speed "changes" so much as the reliability varies. 4G will be 4G. However Verizon has more/stronger towers, meaning more reliable 4G coverage, meaning a likely connection with top speeds more often than not. Sprint, though unlimited, has spotty coverage, so technically it's 4g, but you're not guaranteed to reach those max speeds and you'll be more limited to where you even get it (pretty much only in major cities). So if unlimited is your vice, then you're pretty much stuck with Sprint. But just to share, every person I know with Sprint hates it because of connection issues and is waiting for their contract to end, even with unlimited data. I hear AT&T sucks all around. As music life said, you get what you pay for.

The thing with Verizon is the customer service reps are idiots. Their policies are solid, and when things are finally done they're reliable, but everyone who works for them is just clueless. Yeah it sucks not having unlimited data anymore, but that will become standard before it goes away. I use my phone pretty heavily, and I almost NEVER go above 1gb because of wifi.

Out of curiosity, what happened with Verizon that pushed you away forever?

OP
C

ctrlaltdefeat

Reaction score
I wouldn't say the speed "changes" so much as the reliability varies. 4G will be 4G. However Verizon has more/stronger towers, meaning more reliable 4G coverage, meaning a likely connection with top speeds more often than not. Sprint, though unlimited, has spotty coverage, so technically it's 4g, but you're not guaranteed to reach those max speeds and you'll be more limited to where you even get it (pretty much only in major cities). So if unlimited is your vice, then you're pretty much stuck with Sprint. But just to share, every person I know with Sprint hates it because of connection issues and is waiting for their contract to end, even with unlimited data. I hear AT&T sucks all around. As music life said, you get what you pay for.

The thing with Verizon is the customer service reps are idiots. Their policies are solid, and when things are finally done they're reliable, but everyone who works for them is just clueless. Yeah it sucks not having unlimited data anymore, but that will become standard before it goes away. I use my phone pretty heavily, and I almost NEVER go above 1gb because of wifi.

Out of curiosity, what happened with Verizon that pushed you away forever?

Well reliability of the signal is very important to me and at it's highest speeds of course so I'll take that into account when weighing my options.

Verizon, a few years back, forced me to stay with them for a 3rd year under contract or they would charge me $250. I stayed and after that 3rd year they wouldn't allow me to transfer my phone number to a different carrier so I had to give up the number after having it for many years. A bad experience all around.

k1ngr4t

Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Z Force
Well reliability of the signal is very important to me and at it's highest speeds of course so I'll take that into account when weighing my options.

Verizon, a few years back, forced me to stay with them for a 3rd year under contract or they would charge me $250. I stayed and after that 3rd year they wouldn't allow me to transfer my phone number to a different carrier so I had to give up the number after having it for many years. A bad experience all around.

Yeah sounds like it. That's too bad. Well I don't blame you for not wanting to go back, but it does limit you to Sprint or AT&T. Maybe someone else can chime in on AT&T, I just know everybody who had/has them, hates them and is willing to put up with VZ so they don't have to go back.

OP
C

ctrlaltdefeat

Reaction score
I've been reading about customer service in the Verizon galaxy s3 forums of another site and it doesn't sound good. After doing some research of sprint I'll probably stay away from them for network and speed reasons. It cOmes down to AT&T and Verizon and I'm not sure I can deal with bad customer service and that will make the difference for me in the end.