VZW Galaxy S3: Bootloader Question, Unlockable?

alquimista

Reaction score
I can't seem to find a definitive answer on weather or not the VZW version of the Galaxy S3 will have an unlockable bootloader? Granted it hasn't shipped yet, but usually someone has a little bit o leaked info on the bootloader by now.

There's plenty of info for the GT-I9300 model, with video guides on unlocking the bootloader, rooting etc etc.

But there are 4 different model numbers for the SGS3's coming to US carriers with the S4 proc:

• SCH-I535 (vzw)
  • SGH-I747 (att)
  • SPH-L710 (sprint)
  • SGH-T999 (t-mobile)
I can't find anything that even hints that the vzw version will be unlocked or locked.

I see alot of speculation that the bootloader will be unloackable for these models but no one seems to know for sure.

Can anyone provide reliable intel on this issue? Will the vzw version of the Galaxy S3 have an unlockable bootloader? Will we be able to boot into odin mode? Will CF-Root work on the SCH-I535?

Thanks and net-hugs to anyone who can get us the info before I have to pre-order from vzw to keep "unlimeted" data.
-ALQI

armedmonkey

Reaction score
Good question. I assumed it would be unlockable, but that's only because that's what I read in a general context. I'd be curious to know about vzw specifically as well.

Tbh I don't see vzw getting a "custom" bootloader.

wierdo124

Reaction score
This is the only thing keeping me from preordering. I do'nt want to get burned if it's locked.

OP
alquimista

alquimista

Reaction score
If you preorder you can keep unlimited data. Consider this too.
Yeah, that's kind of the problem. Frankly, I'd rather lose unlimited data and or pay full price for a device or even move to a different carrier if I can get an unlocked bootloader. I know, I know, I can get the Nexus and have a guaranteed unlockable bootloader, but I want more up to date specs than the Nexus offers and the freedom of custom ROM's, Kernels, and all that good stuff that comes with an unlocked or unlockable bootloader.

Basically, I want me some SGS3 cake and I want to eat it too.

ALQI

trter10

Developer
Developer
Reaction score
I'd assume its unlocked. Not sure why it wouldnt be.

Sent from my Liquid ICS Thuderbolt

justdhutch

Reaction score
Arent bootloaders usually locked by the cell phone company? Thats why all new motorolas and htc's are now locked right?

Samsungs never seem to be locked though.

trter10

Developer
Developer
Reaction score
Arent bootloaders usually locked by the cell phone company? Thats why all new motorolas and htc's are now locked right?

Samsungs never seem to be locked though.

No motos are locked because moto sucks and htcs are unlockable.

justdhutch

Reaction score
trter10 said:
No motos are locked because moto sucks and htcs are unlockable.

Moto's do suck i'll give you that. Just thought that I read somewhere they have a constantly changing encryption that they added to stop the bootloader from being unlocked.

trter10

Developer
Developer
Reaction score
Moto's do suck i'll give you that. Just thought that I read somewhere they have a constantly changing encryption that they added to stop the bootloader from being unlocked.

Who?

Sent from my ADR6400L using Tapatalk 2

justdhutch

Reaction score
trter10 said:
Who?

Sent from my ADR6400L using Tapatalk 2

You mean where?

Don't remember. That's why I said "I thought.." meaning I may or may not have remembered.

armedmonkey

Reaction score
I think you are referring to their encryription keys which and change when they release a new kernel

Sent from my DROIDX using Tapatalk 2

skennelly

Reaction score
Even the nexus shipped with a locked bootloader. I don't know of any phone that ships unlocked. I would imagine that the S III will ship locked, but be able to be unlocked. Motorolas are the phones you have to worry about. The only one with the option to unlock was the OG Droid. DX, DX2, RAZR, DROID 2-4, Etc. are all locked. If I were a betting man, I'd put everything I owned on the RAZR HD being locked down as well. Imo.

Sent from my GT-P3113 using Tapatalk 2

johnd09

Reaction score
I believe Samsung phones are fairly open, so I would assume it would at least be unlockable.

Sent from my Transformer Prime TF201 using Tapatalk 2

armedmonkey

Reaction score
N1 shipped with an unlockable bootloader but it had an eFuse that showed that it had been unlocked.