VZW Galaxy S3: Bootloader Question, Unlockable?

sbenson

Silver Member
Reaction score
Looks like they got an custom kernel installed through recovery. All hope isn't lost...

Sent from my Galaxy Nexus using Tapatalk 2

guidot

Developer Relations
Staff member
Premium Member
Reaction score
Looks like they got an custom kernel installed through recovery. All hope isn't lost...

Sent from my Galaxy Nexus using Tapatalk 2

Hence my previous statement ;)

Sent from my DROID3 using Tapatalk 2

inm8num2

Reaction score
Very good news indeed. I'm blown away by the tenacity, intelligence, and generosity of the dev community.

Erron

Developer
Developer
Reaction score
There has been significant progress made the past couple days. And most of us don't have our phones yet. When we do development should increase quite a bit. :)

parapluie

Reaction score
Very frustrating that Verizon is the only carrier that feels the need to do this... but it's amazing that so much work has already been done to rectify it. dancedroid

add119

Reaction score
Current Phone Model
To many look at my signature.
Verizon, doing this to avoid users from hacking. And, getting features like tethering,mobile hotspots and other features for free without paying their fees.

Plus you can put new os without getting a new phone. That could be another factor of them not allowing the boot loader open.

Sent from my DROID RAZR using Tapatalk 2

add119

Reaction score
Current Phone Model
To many look at my signature.
Idk i have DROID razr and going to get galaxy s2 to cancel Verizon.

Sent from my DROID RAZR using Tapatalk 2

DroidBoardr

Reaction score
Im a bit confused. What is the difference between rooting, and unlocking the bootloader? I know you need an unlocked bootloader to install custom ROM's, but what can be done with root without having an unlocked bootlader. What does rooting alone get you?

johnd09

Reaction score
Rooting let's you modify system files including uninstalling bloatware and backing up apps and data. You can also tether without paying verizon for it.

Sent from my Transformer Prime TF201 using Tapatalk 2

DroidBoardr

Reaction score
Rooting let's you modify system files including uninstalling bloatware and backing up apps and data. You can also tether without paying verizon for it.

Sent from my Transformer Prime TF201 using Tapatalk 2

Hell, that's all i wanted to do to the phone anyways. Uninstall Bloatware, and find a method to wifi tether outside Verizon. Sounds like a locked bootloader doesn't affect me that much. I still signed the petition however. Freedom for All.

skennelly

Reaction score
Hell, that's all i wanted to do to the phone anyways. Uninstall Bloatware, and find a method to wifi tether outside Verizon. Sounds like a locked bootloader doesn't affect me that much. I still signed the petition however. Freedom for All.

Stock ICS and foxfi let you do both of these things without root. :)

*Sent from my Galaxy to yours through tapatalk

npro1464

Reaction score
I still don't get why VZ cares so much about boot loaders. With all the phones with locked boot loaders, we've still been able to use Wifi tether, haven't we? We've still been able, as far as my knowledge, to gain root. So what's the big deal about? Is it all about people bricking their phones and abusing warranties? I'd buy this, even sympathize with VZ, but I can't imagine this is the case. If it was all about "illegal" tethering, then why go after boot loaders if it never stops it? Why start pin-pointing abusive data users and suspending service?

I just don't get what difference a locked boot loader makes.

DroidBoardr

Reaction score
Stock ICS and foxfi let you do both of these things without root. :)

*Sent from my Galaxy to yours through tapatalk

I wasn't sure about FoxFi and the S3. I have the HTC rezound, and FoxFi doesn't work with it without rooting. Has anyone with the S3 in hand tried Foxfi to be sure that it is working to Wifi tether?

And Stock ICS doesn't allow you to remove the bloatware, only disable it from running.The bloat is still there taking up space.