theming question

mreyn3693

Reaction score
hey everybody,

I have been working on creating a theme (slowly) over the last couple of weeks. I am getting close to being finished(I think) but I definitely have at least one question. Does anyone know how to change the color of the orange lines between the menu items shown in the screenshot? I thought it was menu_separator.9 in the drawable hdpi folder but I changed it and it didn't do the trick. Lately I have been editing xml files to change colors and figured maybe I will have to do that to change the line color. i'm just not sure of what file i have to edit. Any info would be greatly appreciated.

161928-albums941-picture3299.png

Droid DOES!!

What iDoesn't
Premium Member
Theme Developer
Reaction score
I'd probably start in styles.xml and go from there.

This thread has been Thunder struck!

chrisl20

Reaction score
Have you been making them opt_png's? From my understanding, it slims their size down and makes them load more efficiently...and if so, what route did you use to do such? I am wanting to make a red and black theme when a solid rom (with support) comes out, but I didn't have any luck searching...I did read there was an addon for gimp but couldn't find it...

OP
mreyn3693

mreyn3693

Reaction score
Have you been making them opt_png's? From my understanding, it slims their size down and makes them load more efficiently...and if so, what route did you use to do such? I am wanting to make a red and black theme when a solid rom (with support) comes out, but I didn't have any luck searching...I did read there was an addon for gimp but couldn't find it...

Well, I had not done any optimizing for the theme up to this point. (thanks for giving me something else to look into/do :icon_eek: heh)
I am not creating any icons or anything. I have just modified icons from previous themes. I tried to use optipng but for each png I used it on it only reduced it like 3%. Plus the way i was doing it you have to do each file separately. I think I did see some custom scripts that may speed up the process though. I use photoshop for editing, so i'm unaware of the addon for gimp. I am going to look into it more now. I did notice that when comparing my pngs to the pngs in another theme that mine were considerably larger in file size (although I don't really think I notice any negative effects while using the theme on my d2g).

I still haven't figured out what to edit to change the color of the lines I had asked about in the op. I checked into styles.xml, which is where I already edited a few things but I wasn't sure exactly what I was looking for.

I'm not sure what all you have read but I was able to find a good bit of info by googling things like 'optimize png android'

OP
mreyn3693

mreyn3693

Reaction score
I have been having internet issues all day. My connection would drop every minute or so and be out for another minute or so. finally got fed up and pulled out the laptop and enjoying the d2g hotspot. Never really used it before but it's great for times like these.

anyway, I came across smush it and it allows you to upload multiple files and it will perform a lossless compression and then show you the results and let youdownload a zip file of the compressed pngs. I uploaded 15 images at a time and it shaved off close to 50% of the total file size.

http://www.smu****.com/ysmush.it/

haha, it keeps editing smush it when it's all one word. just google it and you will get a good link

Last edited:

chrisl20

Reaction score
when you are looking for the orange line, how are you going about this?...whenever I am looking for stuff, i just have the file unzipped on my desktop and leave a zipped copy and drag the complete pngs into the zipped folder...sounds long...it is...but, when the folder im working with is unzipped, my folder options set to thumbnails will show me all of the pngs without opening them...helpful for finding the one sticking out like a soar thumb...and I looked just a tad more into the optpng deal, it doesnt seem like it will be too big of a deal, but, i have noticed just a couple weird tweaks or "misfires" on my phone when I flashed over regular pngs with metamorph...after opting them, they seemed to align better and drop the weird issues...but anyways man, if you want, send me a copy of your theme and I can help you look it over...I know a fresh set of eyes couldnt hurt anything...but what are you theming exactly? stock rom, fission, fenom, grd slimmed?

OP
mreyn3693

mreyn3693

Reaction score
Thanks. I also use thumbnail view when editing images so I can see everything. I have changed everything that looked like it was that color, and that seemed like it was associated by name. for example, Menu_seperator.png was an orange line that was a .9 image. I just knew that was it. I de-compiled the image and edited it to go with my theme and then recompiled (just like I had done every other .9 file) but still have the orange line. I also tried the method of removing the.9 and then editing it and then using the draw 9patch tool to mark the guides and save it back as a .9 file. Still doesn't change the orange line.

It is a theme for d2g fission 2.4.3 I have screenshots in my albums

I'm about to head out but I will send you the file tomorrow if ya want to take a look.

chrisl20

Reaction score
that is odd, yah, id love to take a look though, just send me a pm, i dont work tomorrow until 6 pm, so i have plenty of time on my hands to find that elusive line. Hopefully...that way some more themes can get put out to the community, since it looks like we d2g users will be getting a plethora of roms within the next couple, three weeks...bout time :)