1% Battery Icons on Liberty (possible?)

Discussion in 'Liberty ROM D2' started by mattXdezzi, Apr 12, 2011.

1. mattXdezzi

mattXdezzi Member

Ratings:
    +0
    I'm fairly new to theming but i was looking through my pulled framework-res and found "stat_sys_battery.xml" and "stat_sys_battery_charge.xml"

I opened them up and started trying to decipher the code:

Code:
    <?xml version="1.0" encoding="UTF-8"?>
    <level-list
      xmlns:android="http://schemas.android.com/apk/res/android">
        <item android:drawable="@drawable/stat_sys_battery_0" android:maxLevel="0" />
        <item android:drawable="@drawable/stat_sys_battery_10" android:maxLevel="10" />
        <item android:drawable="@drawable/stat_sys_battery_20" android:maxLevel="20" />
        <item android:drawable="@drawable/stat_sys_battery_30" android:maxLevel="30" />
        <item android:drawable="@drawable/stat_sys_battery_40" android:maxLevel="40" />
        <item android:drawable="@drawable/stat_sys_battery_50" android:maxLevel="50" />
        <item android:drawable="@drawable/stat_sys_battery_60" android:maxLevel="60" />
        <item android:drawable="@drawable/stat_sys_battery_70" android:maxLevel="70" />
        <item android:drawable="@drawable/stat_sys_battery_80" android:maxLevel="80" />
        <item android:drawable="@drawable/stat_sys_battery_90" android:maxLevel="90" />
        <item android:drawable="@drawable/stat_sys_battery_100" android:maxLevel="100" />
    </level-list>

I was wondering if you include lines for all 100 values and add the image files, will it show all 100%? So i edited the xml files and created 150 png files (i probably should have tested the concept first). I loaded everything on to my phone and now no battery icon shows up.

My question is should I keep trying to figure out where I did something wrong, or is it a known issue that the battery resolution is based on a deeper (ROM/Kernel) level?

thoughts?

2. hond2

hond2 Member

Ratings:
    +0
    It must be possible, because an app called battmonx can show 1% on my droid2!
    Now if only I could find someone to write a zip update that would safely remove the original batt indicator from statusbar...

Sent from my DROID2 using DroidForums

3. mattXdezzi

mattXdezzi Member

Ratings:
    +0
    is battmonx an app/widget or does it actually replace the icons in the status bar?

from what I've heard (i am totally unsure about this) the 1% battery widgets interpolate and estimate between 10% values rather than actually read 1% increments from the phone. again, i am totally unsure about this.

4. sonicfreak360

sonicfreak360 Member

Ratings:
    +0

Sent from my Droid using Tapatalk

5. txter

txter Member

Ratings:
    +0
  6. mattXdezzi

mattXdezzi Member

Ratings:
    +0
  7. pedwards3x

pedwards3x Developer Developer

Ratings:
    +0
    Your original concept should work just fine, but here's my question: What did you use to decompile the .xmls and how did you edit them and then recompile them?

8. thebird36

thebird36 Member

Ratings:
    +1
    Try battery moniter that has 1% increments for the notifcation bar works fine for me

9. mattXdezzi

mattXdezzi Member

Ratings:
    +0
    I used APKmanager to decompile and recompile. And I used Metamorph to inject everything into my existing framework-res. I have used the same process to edit my 10% battery icons, as well as my status bar xml files so I hesitate to peg those tools as the problem. flashing the theme went smoothly and im assuming if there was a problem there it would FC and/or not boot at all. Rather, i am beginning to think that there is more to the edit than just those 2 files and the different pngs.

Has anyone seen a 1% battery tutorial that they could share? ive been searching for a while but havent actually come across a how-to.

10. mattXdezzi

mattXdezzi Member

Ratings:
    +0
    link? i googled "battery monitor" (im assuming moniter is a typo) and all i can find is widgets.

EDIT: I found it, but that just puts a percentage in the NOTIFICATION area, not the actual battery part.

Last edited: Apr 12, 2011
  11. mattXdezzi

mattXdezzi Member

Ratings:
    +0
    i have come to the conclusion that i dont think it's possible to get down to 1% increments.

1. there are a decent amount of D2/DX themers out there (most of whom more talented than myself) and no one has done it. coincidence? (i think not, i havent even seen 5%)
    2. I was able to modify my framework w/ the UOT Kitchen tool and add a 1% battery mod, but it only shows the increments of 10.

This has lead me to believe that the issue of reading the battery level is a deeper (ROM/kernel/possibly hardware) issue and cannot be fixed through just xml editing.

If anyone has seen 5%/1% increments on a D2/DX and knows how to do it, I will GLADLY retract the above statement, but i cannot see a way to get there.

12. TheSwaggeR

TheSwaggeR Member

Ratings:
    +0
    You can't just change what is in the XML. You'll have to do smali work and add id's. What I mean by id's is that you'll have to go through the java code and redo the id's (R.id.****) and tell it to grab the image for each increment percentage. You will also have to look in the /sys/class/power_supply/battery/charge_counter and make changes to that.

So that is 3 different areas you've got to make changes in it for it to work.

13. mattXdezzi

mattXdezzi Member

Ratings:
    +0
    thanks. thats the answer i was looking for. it is definitely past my level of familiarity w/ android, so i will wait for a dev to put it in a rom, or until i have the time/patience to learn to do it myself.

14. randizzard

randizzard Member

Ratings:
    +0
    I don't know if it helps any but I can get 1% increments just using the battery widget from the minimalistic text app from the market...also allows the showing of voltage and temp all in a 1x1 icon.

View attachment 31383

Was trying to show screen shot but not sure if it worked

15. Xplorer4x4

Xplorer4x4 Active Member

Ratings:
    +4
    Per yer statement on page 1, I grabbed battmonx. It does indeed use 1% battery increments.

Battmonx leads me to believe it is possible! As you all are aware when the battery state on our phones, or any android, hits 15%, a warning message appears on the screen. I noticed that while the stock battery indicator was actually displaying 20%, battmonx was dead on the money at 15%.

Also, I have investigated the /sys/class/power_supply/battery/charge_counter as mentioned here. Anytime i go to view this file it reports exactly what battmonx reports, well it may be 1% off since battmonx only monitors the battery in certain intervals. I spoke with the dev of battmonx and asked him how he achieved 1% increments for devices like the D2G. Sure enough he says the app pulls the battery percentage from the monitorscharge_counter file.

Why this has not been implemented in roms, or even an update.zip I have no idea but needless to say I believe this can be done!

Search tags for this page

can we make 1% battery increment in android with text file

stat sys battery.xml for circle battery icon