The Samsung screen glass is horrible.

nadav64

Reaction score
I can't believe it my nexus has a very but very small scratch on the screen.
I don't have a screen protector but I never leave it face down,I never put it in my pocket with keys...
anyways this is bs.

Do you guys know for how much samsung will replace my screen ? + Will they even look at it if it's rooted+unlocked ?

Last edited by a moderator:

smokiedabong

Reaction score
You scratched it, it's not their fault and not a defect for them to replace it. If you have insurance you can replace it thru them. It happens on all the screens. They are scratch resistant, not scratch proof. I had mine since day one with no protector and it's flawless, I haven't been really careful with it either. I had a RAZR before for couple of weeks and I was carrying it like a baby cause I was planing to take it back, yet I got it scratched even if it's Gorilla glass , it's enough to have a small grain of sand on the tip of your finger from the car door handle or whatever, or in your pocket, sand will scratch any screen .

OP
N

nadav64

Reaction score
You scratched it, it's not their fault and not a defect for them to replace it. If you have insurance you can replace it thru them. It happens on all the screens. They are scratch resistant, not scratch proof. I had mine since day one with no protector and it's flawless, I haven't been really careful with it either. I had a RAZR before for couple of weeks and I was carrying it like a baby cause I was planing to take it back, yet I got it scratched even if it's Gorilla glass , it's enough to have a small grain of sand on the tip of your finger from the car door handle or whatever, or in your pocket, sand will scratch any screen .

Well in this case I took care of the phone like my baby.
Can I go to Samsung and ask them to replace my display?

Sent from my Galaxy Nexus using DroidForums

Liderc

Silver Member
Reaction score
All glass scratches, grains of sand are the most common cause.

Doesn't have anything to do with Samsung.

droidxd00d

Reaction score
That's why you always use a screen protector. Its probably going to be like 200$ or more for them to fix it. Do you have the insurance on your phone?

Sent from my DROID BIONIC using DroidForums

OP
N

nadav64

Reaction score
Yes it does have something to do with Samsung because my phone was made by them so I'd expect to have replacement parts.

OP
N

nadav64

Reaction score
That's why you always use a screen protector. Its probably going to be like 200$ or more for them to fix it. Do you have the insurance on your phone?

I was talking to ledrc.
No I don't have insurance and why should a 10$ part cost 200$ to replace?

Liderc

Silver Member
Reaction score
I was talking to ledrc.

I was saying it isnt Samsungs fault it was scratched, not that they shouldnt have replacement parts.

It cost a lot because the glass is expensive and if they do the repair its the fees for doing the work.

tekjunkie28

Reaction score
Ur threads are getting old my friend. Use a screen protector. I never did on my og Droid and it has no scratch. I even took a knife to it... nothing.

droidxd00d

Reaction score
I was talking to ledrc.

Well you have four options then. Buy a screen online yourself, void the warranty and replace it yourself. Send it in to be fixed by Samsung and pony up the cash. Or Buy a new phone. Or....you could just deal with the tiny scratch. My Droid had a shattered screen and I used it for more than a year. You don't see it after a while.

yakitori

Premium Member
Premium Member
Theme Developer
Reaction score
I think the nexus screen is great. I used to carry naked, never had any scratches...in and out of my pocket all the time. The screen is very oleophobic too. Always clean looking and repels smudges great.

Recently though I decided to put on a screen protector and case. Otterbox commuter and XO skin. I recommend xo....a little tacky feeling, but easy to clean, very good clarity. Can hardly tell there is a SP on it.

prowler85

Reaction score
Well you have four options then. Buy a screen online yourself, void the warranty and replace it yourself. Send it in to be fixed by Samsung and pony up the cash. Or Buy a new phone. Or....you could just deal with the tiny scratch. My Droid had a shattered screen and I used it for more than a year. You don't see it after a while.

Sounds right to me. Seems a little childish to buy a small computer, not buy a screen protector, not buy insurance, and then complain about the manufacturer because YOU got a scratch. I don't care if you carry it around on a pillow all day, Samsung NEVER guaranteed the glass couldn't be scratched. So take some responsibility already and either live with the scratch or pay to get it fixed.

And for the record, I don't think insurance would cover this anyway. If it was cracked, sure, but a scratch I don't think they'd do anything about.

orion2001

Reaction score
I'm amazed at the OP's sense of entitlement.

FWIW, my GN glass has held up better than my OG Droid which had Gorilla Glass. I used both without any screen protector and the OG ended up with a scratch after a week of use. My GN is still in pristine shape and the oleophobic coating is the bees knees. Not that this means that the GN glass is better than the OG's glass...just that your results will always vary and that a single scratch can be caused by anything (sand is the usual culprit), even if you baby the phone at all times. Glass is glass, and even if they play with the material composition to reinforce it, a harder (in the scientific sense) material with sharp edges will ALWAYS scratch glass.

JeffDenver

Reaction score
I can't believe it my nexus has a very but very small scratch on the screen.
I don't have a screen protector but I never leave it face down,I never put it in my pocket with keys...
anyways this is bs. Do you guys know for how much samsung will replace my screen ? + Will they even look at it if it's rooted+unlocked ?
I guess that is one downside of having a curved screen.

Warranty wont cover it (warranty covers manufacturer defects, not design flaws or user damage), but insurance will. It will cost you $100 though (and thats assuming you got the insurance). Insurance will not care if you are rooted.

JeffDenver

Reaction score
I'm amazed at the OP's sense of entitlement. FWIW, my GN glass has held up better than my OG Droid which had Gorilla Glass. I used both without any screen protector and the OG ended up with a scratch after a week of use.
My droid 1 still has a like-new screen. Not a single scratch to be found despite heavy use over 2 years. Gorilla glass rules.

My GN is still in pristine shape and the oleophobic coating is the bees knees.
Thats actually a good point...the glass might not be scratched at all. Might just be the coating. It is actually really hard to scratch even normal glass.