The Samsung screen glass is horrible.

ShinyTop

Reaction score
I have replaced the glass. It is $163 and takes about two weeks.

dezymond

Tech Support Mod
Staff member
Premium Member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Google Pixel
nadav, Samsung won't replace your screen due to a scratch, for free at least. I'm sure they will if you pay them the price of the part and the price of labor, it's not as simple as laying new glass on top of it.

They made the product, you bought it, and whatever you do with it afterwards is not their concern unless the hardware is faulty. A scratch does not warrant a warranty replacement because a scratch means the user is at fault. These screens don't scratch easily as there are numerous examples of people deliberately trying to scratch them with their nails, keys, knives, etc.

Kenny Bats

Reaction score
Yes it does have something to do with Samsung because my phone was made by them so I'd expect to have replacement parts.

Sent from my Galaxy Nexus using DroidForums

While it is a Samsung device they have nothing to do with you scratching the screen. You did it. If you crack the windshield on your car the manufacturer doesn't replace it for free. Use a screen protector. Why would you not want to protect an investment? Especially when they are so cheap.

JeffDenver

Reaction score
Use a screen protector. Why would you not want to protect an investment? Especially when they are so cheap.
Because screen protectors reduce sensitivity and (IMO) reduce image clarity, sometimes by a lot. And glass is hard to scratch anyway, so scratches are unlikely if you're careful.

They are unappealing for the same reason condoms are unappealing. I'd rather just take the risk and enjoy the phone...thats why I got insurance.

Kenny Bats

Reaction score
Because screen protectors reduce sensitivity and (IMO) reduce image clarity, sometimes by a lot. And glass is hard to scratch anyway, so scratches are unlikely if you're careful.

They are unappealing for the same reason condoms are unappealing. I'd rather just take the risk and enjoy the phone...thats why I got insurance.

That's fine, to each his own. Take the risk but don't ***** when your screen gets scratched or you get AIDS like the OP. I got insurance too and still use a protector. I was on and off with protectors on my OG and didn't notice any difference in sensitivity. My opinion though.

JeffDenver

Reaction score
That's fine, to each his own. Take the risk but don't ***** when your screen gets scratched or you get AIDS like the OP. I got insurance too and still use a protector. I was on and off with protectors on my OG and didn't notice any difference in sensitivity. My opinion though.
Went 2 years with heavy use on my Droid 1...Not a single mark on the screen. It (the glass screen) still looks brand new. (No AIDS either so far)

And I have never seen a screen protector that didnt deaden sensitivity. On any phone I can tell immediately. On my co-worker's Incredible 1 it is bad...using his phone irritates the hell out of me. I really do hate them with a burning venomous passion.

Last edited:

aktrazer

Reaction score
I have owned 3 Droids and not once have I ever not put a screen protector on it. They're 3 for 5 bucks on eBay. As for the OP, its your fault it got scratched. I don't understand this " sense of entitlement" you think you have. Lesson learned, spend the measly 5 bucks and get a screen protector. Better to have it and not need it then to need it and not have it!

Sent from my DROID RAZR

daudi81

Reaction score
I don't really understand why people get all these protectors for their phones - my wife is obsessed with them. I've had cases and screen protectors on my phone(s) before and I hate how it makes them feel bigger, the screen protectors don't make the experience as smooth or clear as without one. Even those slim adhesive screen protectors are really annoying to me. It almost ruins the whole touchscreen experience for me.

And by the time my phone gets a ding or a scratch on it (which is rare) - I'm up for an upgrade and the phone gets tossed or traded in anyway. If it gets dinged up enough that it doesn't function correctly - insurance covers it and I get a new phone anyway. It's a win-win.

Obviously people are going to hugely disagree with me on this, but I will never get protectors again. The only way I would is if I thought I'd have the phone for 5+ years and I wanted to get some life out of it - and I never have a phone for 5 years.

And those of you that insist on having protectors on your phone at all times, even by the time you trade it in, you never get to fully experience how slim or clear the phone really is. Just my 2 cents.

orion2001

Reaction score
I don't really understand why people get all these protectors for their phones - my wife is obsessed with them. I've had cases and screen protectors on my phone(s) before and I hate how it makes them feel bigger, the screen protectors don't make the experience as smooth or clear as without one. Even those slim adhesive screen protectors are really annoying to me. It almost ruins the whole touchscreen experience for me.

And by the time my phone gets a ding or a scratch on it (which is rare) - I'm up for an upgrade and the phone gets tossed or traded in anyway. If it gets dinged up enough that it doesn't function correctly - insurance covers it and I get a new phone anyway. It's a win-win.

Obviously people are going to hugely disagree with me on this, but I will never get protectors again. The only way I would is if I thought I'd have the phone for 5+ years and I wanted to get some life out of it - and I never have a phone for 5 years.

And those of you that insist on having protectors on your phone at all times, even by the time you trade it in, you never get to fully experience how slim or clear the phone really is. Just my 2 cents.
I refuse to use screen protectors as well. Not until something shows up that feels just as good as the naked glass. Especially on the Galaxy Nexus, the naked glass feels really really good and I love the oleophobic coating as well. I didn't use one on my OG either...ended up with a few scratches over 2 years of use, but ultimately it made no difference to me and I enjoyed not having a crappy screen protector taking away from the screen and tactile feel. If I sell my phone on eBay, it's not like I'm going to get $20+ just because the screen has less scratches.

I have my insurance in case the worst happens and the screen breaks. Then again, I'm not anal about the slightest scratch on the screen. If you are that kind of person (like the OP), then it is your fault that you did not buy a screen protector to protect your phone.

twright86

Reaction score
I've had my phone for a month and a half, I have no protectors on my phone, keep in my pocket with my keys,and even have dropped it a couple times.

I keep it in my pocket when I work, I'm rolling around on concrete floors alot.

NO SCRATCHES. It's a miracle.

To the OP, your threads are getting old, the GN isn't for you big guy.

SSHGuru

Silver Member
Reaction score
I hate screen protectors and tried one on the GN and hated it.

I do have a silicon case because the thing is so slippery and the second a thinner case comes out I'll buy that. Don't like cases but I've never had this slippery of a phone.

scdown

Reaction score
@nadav64 - this is expensive ($163 from another post), and non user-serviceable because on the Galaxy Nexus, the display glass is fused to the LCD, so you're either paying to replace both the glass and the LCD, or have Samsung go through a process to "unfuse" it and then fuse another glass to it.

wolstonc

Reaction score
A rooted phones warranty is void. So even if it was their fault, too bad. And if you have insurance, you will need to break it worse to the point that they can't tell its been rooted, or else they'll give you a hassle.

Sent from my Galaxy Nexus using DroidForums

JeffDenver

Reaction score
I have been told that the insurance carriers dont care if it is rooted, but that is probably good advice just in case...break it enough that they cant tell it was rooted.

Liderc

Silver Member
Reaction score
Went 2 years with heavy use on my Droid 1...Not a single mark on the screen. It (the glass screen) still looks brand new. (No AIDS either so far)

And I have never seen a screen protector that didnt deaden sensitivity. On any phone I can tell immediately. On my co-worker's Incredible 1 it is bad...using his phone irritates the hell out of me. I really do hate them with a burning venomous passion.

Quality protectors don't affect sensitivity at all, you've obviously never used any.