Screen protector question.

AndroidNinja

Reaction score
If something is hard enough to scratch the hardened glass wouldn't it just cut right through the screen protector and scratch the glass?

Sent from my Galaxy Nexus using DroidForums

dezymond

Tech Support Mod
Staff member
Premium Member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Google Pixel
Depending on the brand these things are built to take a beating. Unless you plan on taking a knife to your phone laced with sand, your screen shouldn't get scratched.

If it isn't intentional, a screen protector does its job and protects the glass underneath.

OP
A

AndroidNinja

Reaction score
I keep thinking about giving a screen protector a try. I just don't want it to change the look and feel of the phone, and be sure it's actually going to protect the screen.

dezymond

Tech Support Mod
Staff member
Premium Member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Google Pixel
The screen itself is very scratch resistant
[video=youtube;uyLC61JxsJQ]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uyLC61JxsJQ[/video]

I personally got the screen protector more for fingerprints, but it's always reassuring I have that extra protection against possibly scratches. Even sand, which will scratch this glass including gorilla glass, can't get to it.

Liderc

Silver Member
Reaction score
Honestly the thing that scratches screens the most are grains of sand. The plastic will prevent the hair line scratch that could be caused from that. I understand your reasoning and you're right to suggest that if something were to cause a deep scratch, it would most likely go through the plastic as well, but then you're not talking about a scratch there you'd be talking about a cracked screen. Also, despite the thinness of screen protectors, you'd be surprised how effective they can be at reducing impact damage. The plastic used in screen protectors are often made of polymers also used in rubber, so you can imagine how it could be beneficial during a drop.