The Complete Jellybean Thread

jsnweitzel

Developer
Developer
Reaction score
Yesterday's chrome update seemed to help some of the keyboard issues.

Sent from my DROID4 using Tapatalk 2

RJT185

Reaction score
Yesterday's chrome update seemed to help some of the keyboard issues.
Sent from my DROID4 using Tapatalk 2

Within Chrome? Or in general? Because I've noticed both the physical keyboard and SWYPE both flake out big time regardless of the app.

SnglGrma

Reaction score
Yes, this is how I am accessing now. However, the "People" shortcut/app defaults to my entire contact list. I want it to default to my favorites.

I can't/don't want to use the widget. For one, I'm using ADW and that widget doesn't seem to work. I can't even find it on the widget list. Also, I wanted a shortcut that I can put in the dockbar.

Try this, on google gmail website: organize your favorite contacts in their own special group. Then open your people app on your phone, press the menu key, choose contacts to display, choose customise (bottom link) in here you can choose a group that you have set up in gmail. Then put your people app on the bar on your main screen :)

ltlldy20

Reaction score
I am having all of the same issues as the people above me especially the person that posted all of those issues in outline form. My biggest issues and they are huge to me is the lag time just in the phone now since JB. My phone is so slow and that's an understatement. Whenever i go to open things it takes forever. And i use the SwiftKey keyboard and just trying to text someone has turned into a nightmare. When i hit the text button it takes forever just to bring up my list of contacts I have been texting with but the most frustrating is the keyboard. I have to wait way too long for it even to appear and when it does its jumpy and unresponsive. I get black screens all the time on the phone when it's not responding. I had none of these issues with ICS on my Maxx. My phone moved so fast and if you want to use the word buttery that's how I would explain ICS opposed to JB. I'm a novice but i have been reading and educating myself as much as possible. I was ignorant enough not to know that the JB being installed on the phones wasn't the same JB edition that is on my Nexus 7. The loss of the ICS gallery is the most upsetting though. My husband has the same phone and I told him not to update to JB. When i go on his phone back to my beloved ICS gallery there is no comparison. The gallery installed with JB is the most unfriendly, unorganized gallery I've ever used. Whomever developed it doesn't use their picture gallery on their phone. It's like a preschooler developed it actually a preschooler would have done a better job. So between the gallery, my phones lag time, so slow with JB and the keyboard issues which are all major things I use on my phone everyday I want to go back to ICS. I'm a novice so I'm scared i would screw something up if i tried to root my phone. And even if I did figure out how to root then what? I wish there was a way to go back to ICS without rooting but i really dislike this update its the worst I've ever seen. There are so many other issues I won't even go into that I'm upset about with this update. Any ideas on ways or if it's even safe for a novice to root a phone? I have trouble even understanding some of the tech savvy words used on these sites, but I'm stuck with this phone for another 1 1/2 yr and i don't think l can handle JB that much longer esp the lag time, keyboard issues and the gallery just to name a few. . Just want ICS back on my phone. I think it's ridiculous people can't run the OS they want on any phone. We are the customers we pay for the service so why can't we go back to ICS if we prefer it? What is the thought process behind that? Why do the phone companies not allow you to convert back if you are unhappy? What do they lose? They are still getting paid every month I don't understand this at all?? Any advice is appreciated for a very frustrated user who is trying very hard to educate myself but I need help... Plus to top it off i have late advanced stage Lyme disease so I'm bedridden wondering if this is the time i am going to pass away and my phone is one of the things that keeps me in contact with love ones when I'm so sick and homebound. This is a very isolating disease so i need my phone to work the way it used to.. Should I root even though I'm a novice? Thanks everyone sorry this is so long... Just so frustrated being this ill is bad enough. Having them screw up something that gave me a small amount of entertainment and pleasure without frustration is huge for me. Now I'm just frustrated and still very sick... Any help or advice is appreciated thank you..

silverfang77

Reaction score
Not being able to roll back to the previous OS is more a matter of the phone's hardware than the carrier's wishes. Have you tried doing a factory data reset since the upgrade?

Tappin' and talkin' with Tapatalk!

SnglGrma

Reaction score
I am having all of the same issues as the people above me especially the person that posted all of those issues in outline form. My biggest issues and they are huge to me is the lag time just in the phone now since JB. My phone is so slow and that's an understatement.
It Lady,
What this sounds like is you have NOT reset your phone to factory settings after the initial settling in of JB. Please do the following:

1. Save your photos and files you want to keep on your computer.
2. Do a factory reset of the phone and DO NOT SAVE ANYTHING.
3. Delete all memory cards etc....to get rid of old versions of apps that might not be compatible with JB.
4. When you come back up, the phone will ask you if you want to restore what they saved in your back up files...the answer is NO. Even if you are putting the same email addresses on your phone, please say NO!
5. Fill out the required information and bring the phone back up.

6. BEFORE adding anything to the phone...apps etc....you can put your photos and documents back on, but don't install an app for at least 24 hours. Let the phone settle in.

7. Read this forum and follow instructions of other members on how to get around the keyboard issues...example chrome problem with shift key. Because you will have that still.

This should fix your lagging issues....then after 24 hours you can start adding your apps back....JB is not too bad, once you get the first set of bugs out and let the phone settle in.

ltlldy20

Reaction score
No I haven't tried that. I'm about to lose my mind this morning. My phone is sooo slow. It's like I'm back in the dark ages when smartphones first came out. My phone was lighting fast before this jellybean update! I try to open apps it sets and spins. I hit the back button to go to something different i wait and i wait. It's so bad. I've uninstalled almost every app. I have installed on my own There are no games took them all off. They were my son's anyway. I don't know what's causing the slowness. Would a factory reset speed it up? Now I'm at the point of if I have to keep JB and deal with it I need the phone to at least move at the speed it used to. What can I do to try and fix speed problem? It just sits and spins or has a blank screen with just my wallpaper on it with nothing else while I wait.. I thought JB supposedly made things faster? Not this phone that's for sure.. Sorry I'm just about to throw the phone out the Window! This phone is only 6 months old for me.. My connection is super fast on my wifi network in my home. And i know it's not my Wifi cause it is this slow when I'm on 4G outside the house! Will i lose everything in a factory reset? Only have done that when selling my old DROID X..I know all my apps are saved through Gmail. But what about everything else. I have my sms backed up with an app. But what about my pictures? I have them all on a cloud but i like having them in my gallery.. Will I lose all of those? I don't remember everything a FDR does meaning what do I need to take precautions on backing up if i do it? I guess if a FDR is the only choice I have to help speed up phone its all i can do. It won't remove JB though correct? I'm stuck with this now? This suckz. I loved my phone so much before this. I did so much research before I bought a new phone.. There had to be someway to at least fix the speed issue.. Thanks to anyone that's willing to help me...

ltlldy20

Reaction score
Snglgrma,
Thank you for all the info. I didn't see your post until after I wrote what i just wrote. I will follow your instructions and do as you said. I wish I had known I was going to have to go through all of this in order to have JB I would have just kept ICS. I don't really know how to even save stuff to my computer. I'm sure my husband will know I hope. What's the easiest way to save pics and files to my computer? Can I just send them to Dropbox? I've never hooked my phone to my computer so I'm not sure how to even go about that. I'm sure it's very simple and i could do it I will just have to look up how to. What type of cord do you use? Usb or HDMI? I'm sorry I'm just a complete novice but im trying to learn. I'm a nurse or at least was before I got sick so electronics is not my strong suite but I'm a quick learner. HDMI is just for streaming shows to another device correct? It's not what I would use to hook phone to computer? Usb plug then? Sorry I feel really stupid. Or do I just take out my sd card and put it in a converter thingy I don't know what is called i just know my husband of his SD card in it once and put it into the computer to save stuff whatever it's called we have one and can I put that into the computer will that save what i need to save? Do I need to take my SIM card out? FDR makes me nervous feel like I'm losing everything.. But i know it's possible to do. Thanks for helping me. Anymore tricks you could share are greatly appreciated!

SnglGrma

Reaction score
Snglgrma,
Thank you for all the info. I didn't see your post until after I wrote what i just wrote. I will follow your instructions and do as you said. I wish I had known I was going to have to go through all of this in order to have JB I would have just kept ICS. I don't really know how to even save stuff to my computer. I'm sure my husband will know I hope. What's the easiest way to save pics and files to my computer? Can I just send them to Dropbox? I've never hooked my phone to my computer so I'm not sure how to even go about that. I'm sure it's very simple and i could do it I will just have to look up how to. What type of cord do you use? Usb or HDMI? I'm sorry I'm just a complete novice but im trying to learn.

It lady,
Use your usb cord to hook the phone to your computer, move anything that is in the dcim, downloads and documents folder to your computer.....IF YOU WANT TO SAVE THEM. If you do not want them then leave it on your phone, look on both drives.... you do not have to install the software when the window comes up and asks you to install motocast....you can cancel it out.

sikassdrummer

Reaction score
Does it suffice to do a factory data reset before upgrading to Jelly Bean?

please tell me how and throw in a link and better directions ive saved battery saver and hit enter and nothing if you know the way ill bow down ! thank you :hail:

themib

Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Droid 4 (XT894)
Snglgrma,
Thank you for all the info. I didn't see your post until after I wrote what i just wrote. I will follow your instructions and do as you said. I wish I had known I was going to have to go through all of this in order to have JB I would have just kept ICS. I don't really know how to even save stuff to my computer. I'm sure my husband will know I hope. What's the easiest way to save pics and files to my computer? Can I just send them to Dropbox? I've never hooked my phone to my computer so I'm not sure how to even go about that. I'm sure it's very simple and i could do it I will just have to look up how to. What type of cord do you use? Usb or HDMI? I'm sorry I'm just a complete novice but im trying to learn. I'm a nurse or at least was before I got sick so electronics is not my strong suite but I'm a quick learner. HDMI is just for streaming shows to another device correct? It's not what I would use to hook phone to computer? Usb plug then? Sorry I feel really stupid. Or do I just take out my sd card and put it in a converter thingy I don't know what is called i just know my husband of his SD card in it once and put it into the computer to save stuff whatever it's called we have one and can I put that into the computer will that save what i need to save? Do I need to take my SIM card out? FDR makes me nervous feel like I'm losing everything.. But i know it's possible to do. Thanks for helping me. Anymore tricks you could share are greatly appreciated!
all you photos may not be on you sd card, you may have some on the internal card, but if you wipe data from recovery neither should be touched, if you do a factory data reset from system settings>Privacy it will wipe internal with option to wipe sd card

ltlldy20

Reaction score
SnglGrma or anyone else that would like to help I would appreciate it,
I did the FDR I have two questions. I'm back to factory settings and under the privacy settings there is a place to check mark automatic restore. It says when reinstalling an app restore backed up settings and data? I REALLY NEED TO KNOW IF I SHOULD CHECK MARK THIS OR NOT? DO I WANT THE APPS TO REINSTALL THEIR BACKED UP SETTINGS? I'M MOST CONFUSED ABOUT THIS. PLEASE HELP AS I NEED TO START REINSTALLING MY APPS IN 24HR if that's ok..I know you said some of the apps are not compatible with JB so if I reinstalled them with their old settings I'm assuming this will be a problem? Of course I'm assuming if I didn't back things up properly I will lose info I have stored in some apps.. The most important being a symptom journal I was keeping, but other then that not a lot stored in any apps.

My second stupid question and I always have more trouble with things that are very simple you said I could put my pics back on the phone. What's the easiest way to do that? I have them all backed up on Dropbox and to my computer. What's the easiest way to put just the pics I want back on the phone? Just download them back on from Dropbox or something like that?

But Please let me know if I should check or not check that box about restoring apps to their backed up settings... Thanks so much for all of your help. I will let you know how it goes in the next few weeks hopefully this will speed up my phone.. It was bad Sooo slow. I still wish I could get ICS back simply for their gallery I miss it so much. It was more valuable to me then getting google now at this point in my life... I can't work because of my late stage Lyme disease and google now is for people that still have a life. I just enjoyed messing with my pics and the new JB gallery IMO is an unorganized mess. We lost several functions from the ICS gallery. I wish they would at least compromise a little and bring some of what it was like back.

Lastly if I decided to learn how to root my phone could I get ICS back that way?
Thanks take care and don't take a minute for granted if you have your health you have everything... you have choices. When you become very ill every choice you have is taken away. The only thing to hold into is hope and that gets very difficult at times... Take care!

SnglGrma

Reaction score
SnglGrma or anyone else that would like to help I would appreciate it,
I did the FDR I have two questions. I'm back to factory settings and under the privacy settings there is a place to check mark automatic restore. It says when reinstalling an app restore backed up settings and data? I REALLY NEED TO KNOW IF I SHOULD CHECK MARK THIS OR NOT? DO I WANT THE APPS TO REINSTALL THEIR BACKED UP SETTINGS? I'M MOST CONFUSED ABOUT THIS. PLEASE HELP AS I NEED TO START REINSTALLING MY APPS IN 24HR if that's ok..I know you said some of the apps are not compatible with JB so if I reinstalled them with their old settings I'm assuming this will be a problem? Of course I'm assuming if I didn't back things up properly I will lose info I have stored in some apps.. The most important being a symptom journal I was keeping, but other then that not a lot stored in any apps.

My second stupid question and I always have more trouble with things that are very simple you said I could put my pics back on the phone. What's the easiest way to do that? I have them all backed up on Dropbox and to my computer. What's the easiest way to put just the pics I want back on the phone? Just download them back on from Dropbox or something like that?

But Please let me know if I should check or not check that box about restoring apps to their backed up settings... Thanks so much for all of your help. I will let you know how it goes in the next few weeks hopefully this will speed up my phone.. It was bad Sooo slow. I still wish I could get ICS back simply for their gallery I miss it so much. It was more valuable to me then getting google now at this point in my life... I can't work because of my late stage Lyme disease and google now is for people that still have a life. I just enjoyed messing with my pics and the new JB gallery IMO is an unorganized mess. We lost several functions from the ICS gallery. I wish they would at least compromise a little and bring some of what it was like back.

Lastly if I decided to learn how to root my phone could I get ICS back that way?
Thanks take care and don't take a minute for granted if you have your health you have everything... you have choices. When you become very ill every choice you have is taken away. The only thing to hold into is hope and that gets very difficult at times... Take care!

It lady,
Leaving those items checked coming back from the factory rest is a matter of your personal choice. I personally do not back anything up except to Google when I input my gmail account back on my phone. I also use motocast and google drive. But those two I use only to get my files to my computer on a nightly basis, then I delete them off my phone with the exception of a few photos that I keep updated.

The reason I told you to move everything you want saved off your phone manually, was because I wanted to give you a clean slate just in case something happened to your phone and the factory reset did not work or you had a virus on your phone or the old apps were causing some of your issues and you could not get your photos and documents afterwards.

Whether you want verizon, drop box, google or motocast to backup you stuff now you are back up is a matter of your choice. It does not matter.

Right now, you should not have any backed up files from before the reset on your phone from old apps. So when you install apps again it will be backing up new files not files from before the reset.

The second part of your question about rooting...I can't answer for you sorry.

SnglGrma

Reaction score
What's the easiest way to put just the pics I want back on the phone?

The new JB gallery
It lady,
I do all my moving to and from the phone by usb cable when I reset my phone, because I keep my photos in a certain folder.
But once you reinstall drop box, your photos etc should show up on the phone in that app. But remember once you start taking more photos with your phone they will be put into a default folder. I don't use drop box so I don't know if you can move them off the app onto the phone, but leaving them in drop box won't hurt anything and it will give you access to them in two places.

Now with the JB Gallery: I have found that as long as I keep all my photos in one folder, whether on my phone or sd card (which is what I prefer) the gallery is a little less messy.