The Complete Jellybean Thread

m_a_b

Reaction score
Thanks for compiling all this info... it made it a fairly painless process to get my old ICS compliant again, updated, and rooted again.

One question though. Is safestrap necessary if I am planning to stick with the stock rom?

m_a_b

Reaction score
the way I understand it though, is that it works similar to a dual boot system, where the stock rom resides on one partition and there is another partition that you can choose to boot to that you can install another rom. Unless you actually, install another rom to the second partition, it offers no additional protection at all. Correct?

Is there any reason that I should mirror the stock rom to the second partition? I do not plan to use a custom rom on this phone.

themib

Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Droid 4 (XT894)
Thanks for compiling all this info... it made it a fairly painless process to get my old ICS compliant again, updated, and rooted again.

One question though. Is safestrap necessary if I am planning to stick with the stock rom?

If you are rooted, safestrap makes things easy. Make nandroid, if stock start to behave badly, or just won't boot, restore a nandroid without having to flash the. xml

droidbound

Reaction score
If you are rooted, safestrap makes things easy. Make nandroid, if stock start to behave badly, or just won't boot, restore a nandroid without having to flash the. xml

+1 for that.
If you're rooted already the question is: Why not Safestrap? You do have to be more careful when updating the stock rom with Safestrap installed, but since 4.1 probably was the last official update for the D4 anyway, IMO that is more than balanced by the possibility to load custom roms and/or to make nandroid backups whenever you want. "There's safety in numbers" - also true for backups :)

On ICS I acquired root only because I didn't want to risk not being able to get the JB update (no sbf files for a long time..). But I have learned since that this community will find a way around almost any obstacle - or a more than adequate replacement for official roms. So for me it's the season for flashing now ;)

Sent from my ASUS Transformer Pad TF700T using Tapatalk HD

Last edited:

AceDROID

Reaction score
Anyone else have an issue with the physical keyboard doesn't give you a colon or semicolon, instead it gives you a > and a <? My girlfriends D4 doesn't, and I can't figure out why mine is messed up. There's nothing in the settings as far as I can tell.

Sent from my DROID4 using Tapatalk 2

silverfang77

Reaction score
What I've read is that if you uninstall the updates to Chrome, that solves the keyboard problem.

Tappin' and talkin' with Tapatalk!

AceDROID

Reaction score
What I've read is that if you uninstall the updates to Chrome, that solves the keyboard problem.

I tried that, and even restarted my phone, and yet I still get the >< instead.. I'm so confused lol

silverfang77

Reaction score
Did you do a factory data reset after the upgrade?

AceDROID

Reaction score
I had to sbf back to ics stock to flash the ota.. I believe I did factory reset when it went through.

Mr_Wolf

Reaction score
I had to sbf back to ics stock to flash the ota.. I believe I did factory reset when it went through.

Ok, try this:
in Settings -> Language & input, go down to Physical Keyboard, select omap4-keypad and uncheck all the languages. Now, it should be set to Default and it should work well. :happy3:

By the way: anyone knows what the hell IS omap4-keypad?

AceDROID

Reaction score
Ok, try this:
in Settings -> Language & input, go down to Physical Keyboard, select omap4-keypad and uncheck all the languages. Now, it should be set to Default and it should work well. :happy3:

By the way: anyone knows what the hell IS omap4-keypad?

That did it! Thank you, as that was driving me crazy! I had English (US) checked. Go figure, haha!

Mr_Wolf

Reaction score
Omap4 refers to the TI chip that the D4 uses.

Thanks for your answer!
Ok, maybe I'm a bit asleep because I slept one hour less because of Daylight Saving Time :angry: (and I'm a bit disappointed because the surprise I found in my chocolate Easter egg sucked :frown:), but why there are two layout options about hardware keyboard? Mapphone-switch and omap4-keypad. If I want to switch between layouts, the first one should be enough.

Last edited: