The Complete Jellybean Thread

Syko

Reaction score
My DROID 4 was rooted ICS but no ROM & no safestrap installed. However, I still opted to do the entire process as listed in the 1st post. (SBF, Data wipe, etc) Everything seemed to go without any problems. I re-rooted via the razr blade utility (which didn't take the first time so I had to re-wipe data & do it again) and then re-installed all my apps from the market. Afterwards, I restored data via Titanium to those apps that needed it with no issues that I could tell. I got most everything done & used the phone here & there before calling it a night. Everything was working fine. Thru-out the process, I had rebooted the phone several times.

This morning, I turned on my phone & everything was still as it was. I reboot every morning and this morning was no exception. This is where my problem starts. This is how my screen has looked ever since that reboot and several other reboots this morning: http://dl.dropbox.com/u/17061639/2013-04-01 05.55.36.png

I can access the notification bar and go into settings from there. I can receive phone calls & text messages. I just don't have a screen that I can interact with. My hard buttons register with a haptic buzz but nothing happens while on that screen. If I'm in the settings or text msg app...then they work mostly normal. Also, the screen shot obviously works as does the dropbox automatic upload which is how I have the picture. I am getting notifications for G+ and once I get those & other notifications I can access those apps like normal.

I am suspecting my launcher (have ADW & Nova installed but using ADW right now) to be the culprit but before I start uninstalling things I figured I would check here to see if anyone else had this problem. I just don't understand why it was fine last nite & now is giving me fits.

Syko

Reaction score
Since I wasn't using it right now, I uninstalled Nova. Now everything is back. :blink:

Edit: Turns out an app called Quick Launch was causing the problem, not Nova. I guess my problem was that I didn't select "Always" when it asked which launcher to use.

Last edited:

sockmess

Reaction score
Ok, try this:
in Settings -> Language & input, go down to Physical Keyboard, select omap4-keypad and uncheck all the languages. Now, it should be set to Default and it should work well. :happy3:

By the way: anyone knows what the hell IS omap4-keypad?

damn. i thought it would work for me but as you see, shift button does nothing. same for caps. keyborad was fine before this update. motorola stop caring for their keyboard phones after the second droid so i guess that means i need another android platform.

Okay after reading more of the forum i reset the phone and the keyboard kinda works. Expect now i have to hold down shift, which is werid because right after the reset i didnt have to. Just press and it would be activated. But the backspace would do werid editing after earsing one character which it doesnt do now because it reverted back to this.

Last edited:

Syko

Reaction score
My top 3 annoyances with the update so far:

I am finding that the keyboard works like it used to on some apps while it won't on others and that annoying notification continues to pop up every time I type something.

My battery life has reduced by @ 25%. This is a best guestimate btw. Is anyone else getting the same or better battery life?

There seems to be no more "Favorites" folder for my contacts. I have to tap the "People" icon and then go to "Favorites". I used to have my starred contacts in a favorites icon that took me straight to it. Am I missing it somewhere or is it gone now?

CheshireDragon

Reaction score
My top 3 annoyances with the update so far:

I am finding that the keyboard works like it used to on some apps while it won't on others and that annoying notification continues to pop up every time I type something.

If you go into the settings of the keyboard notification and set it all up how you want it, it will go away.
However, set your keyboard to default so it doesn't mess up your keys. Sadly, this will not fix the SHIFT issue.

My battery life has reduced by @ 25%. This is a best guestimate btw. Is anyone else getting the same or better battery life?

Nah, battery life is worse here. Not sure of the cause as I have VERY little installed on my device. Just when I use it more: texting, bank app, a few others it seems to drain faster than before. IF I leave it idle it can last 2 days, but usage kills it faster than ICS.

There seems to be no more "Favorites" folder for my contacts. I have to tap the "People" icon and then go to "Favorites". I used to have my starred contacts in a favorites icon that took me straight to it. Am I missing it somewhere or is it gone now?

I think it is gone just like the weather widget. I had to D/L AccuWeather.

The odd thing is I have JB on the XT926 and it works WAY better than ICS. Fixed a ton of issues too. Can have the MHS on all day(8-10hrs) and still have 40%+ battery life, but the battery on a XT926 is freaking amazing. Probably one of the best batteries out there. It's a beast ;)

AceDROID

Reaction score

My favorites folder is still there???

Sent from my DROID4 using Tapatalk 2

Syko

Reaction score
If you go into the settings of the keyboard notification and set it all up how you want it, it will go away.
However, set your keyboard to default so it doesn't mess up your keys. Sadly, this will not fix the SHIFT issue.

I set it up but it keeps coming back whenever I use the keyboard.

My favorites folder is still there???

It is? Please elaborate. I would love to have one touch access to my favorites again.

AceDROID

Reaction score
I set it up but it keeps coming back whenever I use the keyboard.

It is? Please elaborate. I would love to have one touch access to my favorites again.

You mean up there? Its there in both people and phone..

AceDROID

Reaction score
Or the favorites widget?

Alexis_88

Reaction score
Just wondering what does everyone think of the new stock messaging after Jb update? (Ex: colors)

Sent from my DROID4 using Droid Forums

Syko

Reaction score
You mean up there? Its there in both people and phone..

Yes, this is how I am accessing now. However, the "People" shortcut/app defaults to my entire contact list. I want it to default to my favorites.

Or the favorites widget?

I can't/don't want to use the widget. For one, I'm using ADW and that widget doesn't seem to work. I can't even find it on the widget list. Also, I wanted a shortcut that I can put in the dockbar.

Maziken

Reaction score
Having trouble resetting my Droid 4 back to Factory Defaults. I get to the part where I have to hold both of the Volume buttons when the android is laying on his back with his front open and a red triangle above him, but it doesn't do anything. It just sits at that screen forever. Thoughts? Edit: Nevermind, I was being impatient.

Last edited:

Syko

Reaction score
Just wondering what does everyone think of the new stock messaging after Jb update? (Ex: colors)

Sent from my DROID4 using Droid Forums

I like it. I used to use Handcent but I've uninstalled that in favor of the stock app. I do like the color scheme. Although...the message limit is interesting when trying to select a quantity...takes forever to change in increments of 1.

Edit: Re-installed Handcent because after all these years & all these updates, google just can't find it in themselves to ad repeat notifications to the stock SMS ap.

Last edited:

RJT185

Reaction score
Can someone give me a quick Cliffnotes version of whats supposed to be better abut JB than ICS?
Are there new features that im not seeing?

I stupidly allowed the update to run and so far the update seems terrible. My phone is a mess.
-the shift key issue. wtf? how can verizon push this with such a major known issue? i did everything form the other thread (uninstall Chrome update, reboot, check input, etc) and the issue keeps resurfacing at random
-auto correct/auto punctuate keeps turning back on by itself, even though I keep switching it off
-now the volume rocker button is sporadic. sometimes from vibrate mode I click up once and it turns the volume up to full, sometimes it randomly jumps 2-3 levels with 1 click.
-camera still sucks. there is tons a of lag between pushing the shutter button and capturing the image
-now the gallery is a pain to use. now the newer images are to the left and older ones to the right... completely unintuitive and opposite of any other gallery app ive ever used.
-keyboard back lighting still does not work correctly (shuts off in darkness and stays on in lighted areas)
-still no convenient way to quickly create a folder
-cannot rearrange bookmark icons in the browser
-during a call, often times the screen still turns off after any key press on the dial pad.
-still no way to clear voicemail notification without listening to every single message.

so is there anything that this update DID fix, or anything that it actually improved upon?
i can't seem to find anything

i am experiencing all of the same issues, as well as.

** with SWYPE auto-spacing will stop working randomly regardless of app. both stock and beta versions.

** the CAPS lock key only works with certain text fields, it is not even a just by-app difference.

** some days phone will do great battery wise, others it'll run hot hot hot and drain the battery

** zooming and word wrapping on the browser has been shot to hell

** cant wifi tether anymore using fixfi/pdanet+ (i guess a know JB software feature)

i have never disliked an OTA so much in my 12 years as a Verizon customer.