That's All Folks! Verizon Closed The Loophole To Upgrade And Maintain Unlimited Data.

DroidModderX

Super Moderator
Staff member
Premium Member
Reaction score
verizon-data-fix-650x196.jpg

Well it was fun while it lasted. One could only wish and hope that Verizon had allowed us to upgrade and keep our unlimited plans on purpose and that this could possibly be the new norm. No such luck kiddos. It seems that Verizon was in the midst of a new upgrade system, and this is why we were experiencing the glitch. Of course this glitch was fixed incredibly fast, and it looks like we are no longer able to keep our existing plans when upgrading. When upgrading you are now forced to choose a capped data plan. Now that we know this was a glitch the question remains, will Verizon honor these contracts. Logic would have you thinking that the contracts will stick but who knows what is in the fine print. I preordered the Note 3 and kept my unlimited data. Here's to hoping it sticks!

Via Droid-Life

lloydstrans

Banned
Reaction score
Good luck, the right thing to do is honor it.

Sent from my DUM phone using Droid Forums

jstafford1

Super Moderator
Rescue Squad
Reaction score
Twitter
jstaff79
I think they'll honor it as some said they talked to techs that said it was there and available for a short time. Seems like a few of us got lucky is all.

Sent from my SCH-I535 using Tapatalk 4

Hugh Jass

Reaction score
I saw this unfolding while I was at work on various blogs, having just bought mine retail I was kicking myself...and just now it hit me. I could have upgraded right then, got another G2 for $199 and sold my current mint one for profit.

Damn you hindsight.

lloydstrans

Banned
Reaction score
I saw this unfolding while I was at work on various blogs, having just bought mine retail I was kicking myself...and just now it hit me. I could have upgraded right then, got another G2 for $199 and sold my current mint one for profit.

Damn you hindsight.

Welcome to my boat, I was thinking the same thing. Upgrade and sell a brand new phone.

Sent from my DUM phone using Droid Forums

New2u

Super Moderator
Reaction score
I think they'll honor it as some said they talked to techs that said it was there and available for a short time. Seems like a few of us got lucky is all.

I had also seen comments from people who said the reps were telling them that it was a glitch and basically sorry for the inconvenience but if they try to activate it then they will be put down to 2GB data tier. But that being said, this will all come to light in a major way, i'm quite certain that many people upgraded when they were given the chance. Some reps said it was a promotion, some said glitch, some just had no idea what was going on, and others didn't care, so it's quite a large variety of what was said. I can only verify what was said to me over the phone when I was trying to apply a discount to the GNote3 preorder. I was told by the rep that he wasn't sure why they were being able to select the older plans with unlimited data, but that if it was a glitch that verizon could retro-act a 2GB tiered data to anyone who did it that way, BUT he did also confirm that it would be a change in contract for some which would allow them out of it, and for the rest it would be within the 14 day window of return and they could just return the phone and change the account back to the previous one. He did not weigh in on whether or not he thought verizon would honor it or not, but said to him it seemed to be at least worth the try. The rep did tell me to make sure I hold on to my confirmation notice that shows the unlimited data as still being on my account after having upgraded my phone, I would assume this was for me to have more ground to stand on if I called them up and complained.

As others have pointed out, this would not go against a bait and switch lawsuit because it was a good faith error, from at least what we know of the situation. This also would not be a breach of contract for some, because since we are on preorder status, the contract does not take effect until the time the phone arrives and we activate it. For those who have actually already gotten their devices, I would imagine the hassle of dealing with them would be outweighed by just letting them keep their unlimited data they upgraded to, the reason I think this is because there was also many people who stated when they tried to go in and get it activated that store managers were not letting people get their devices without moving to the tiered data. But for those of us on preorder status we might get the short end of the stick because we have no leg to stand on until we actually activate the device, and they could easily cancel all preorders done this way and send a notice that they must resubmit a new preorder that did not have an unlimited plan if they were getting the subsidy. Though I would hope that Verizon takes the moral high ground on this one and allows for the users who took advantage of this "glitch" to keep what they had already done, but if the past is any vision of what they will do, then we on preorder status are most likely going to lose the phone, with many upset people cursing Verizon's name.

*Edit* I will say though, as I did in the other thread that I do believe this was an actual glitch. The reason being is that from what the rep told me over the phone they had just recently changed to a new phone upgrade web system. Knowing that, I would imagine that they were probably in the test environment with it, and forgot to remove these items when they went to production, all of the older plans would have to be in the system until no one uses that plan. But this is all on the premise that this system was just rolled out this weekend, he never did say how "new" the system was.

Last edited:

kodiak799

Gold Member
Reaction score
I doubt there are really that many people that did this, several thousand tops. Not worth the PR hassle of trying to switch people back. Plus it's not really worth having phones returned (to keep unlimited) and taking the hit on selling those certified used/refurb

New2u

Super Moderator
Reaction score
I doubt there are really that many people that did this, several thousand tops. Not worth the PR hassle of trying to switch people back. Plus it's not really worth having phones returned (to keep unlimited) and taking the hit on selling those certified used/refurb

Completely agree with you on this, but Verizon's track record hasn't proven much good morals in the past. The past is the only predictor we have of the future. I just hope that they have some integrity, it would be a drop in the bucket for them, and it would at least appease some for the time being until they make us get rid of the unlimited once and for all.

TheOldFart

Reaction score

However, Verizon might look at it a different way. Would they rather PO several thousand or have 10s of thousands complaining to them over the phone and at the stores because they either paid full price of had to accept 2GB. Since this happened over the weekend, the phones haven't shipped yet, so they could just notify everybody that it was an error and give them the choice of cancelling or accepting the 2GB. No phones returned.

Garemlin

Developer Relations
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
LG G3 (VZW), Nexus 7 v2
If they honor them that would mean that the unlimited would have to stay intact for another two years. Meaning of course all of us who upgraded before the June 28th 2012 deadline should have the option to keep it for a little longer going month to month. In theory anyway.

jstafford1

Super Moderator
Rescue Squad
Reaction score
Twitter
jstaff79
I believe this is where the line ride starts.... A real life simulation of an actual line. Hold on folks.

Reaction score
I'm part of this crowd, but ordered the LG G2. It's going to get ugly now. Crossing fingers and hoping Verizon can be nice for once. What was it, like less than 1% who actually got through on this glitch. Come on VZW, pleeeeeaaassse!!

Dalvik_Cache

Super Moderator
Premium Member
Reaction score
If they honor them that would mean that the unlimited would have to stay intact for another two years. Meaning of course all of us who upgraded before the June 28th 2012 deadline should have the option to keep it for a little longer going month to month. In theory anyway.

Here is the thing people often forget: "We may change prices or any other term of your Service or this agreement at any time,but we'll provide notice first, including written notice if you have Postpay Service. If you use your Service after the change takes effect, that means you're accepting the change."

This is in your terms of service. Don't ever make the mistake of thinking the VZW must provide you a certain service, at a certain price, ever.

New2u

Super Moderator
Reaction score

No it just means that Verizon would change the plans when they wanted to anyways, and just allow the ETF to be waved. Whenever they want, they can change the plans to any accounts but have to give you a way out if your still on contract. If you are month to month, they don't have to honor anything if they don't want to.

ainzwurth

Reaction score
I just called customer service and they said my order was active. I got the same text as above but it was in reference to the first order that I canceled yesterday when I ordered white instead of black. So either they are going to honor the second one or they just haven't gotten around to canceling it yet.