That's All Folks! Verizon Closed The Loophole To Upgrade And Maintain Unlimited Data.

New2u

Super Moderator
Reaction score
I just called customer service and they said my order was active. I got the same text as above but it was in reference to the first order that I canceled yesterday when I ordered white instead of black. So either they are going to honor the second one or they just haven't gotten around to canceling it yet.

Yeah when I tried to go back through and upgrade my phone, i saw that it was still had an active order on it, so we will see. Mine was the same way, I will remove my previous statement.

*Edit* I went ahead and removed my bad info to restore integrity. Apparently I didn't drink my coffee yet. :(

Last edited:
Reaction score
Thanks New2u, I now have a tiny bit of hope left. Back to crossing fingers!! FYI, my order is still in limbo so I haven't been hit with the cancellation yet.

New2u

Super Moderator
Reaction score
Thanks New2u, I now have a tiny bit of hope left. Back to crossing fingers!! FYI, my order is still in limbo so I haven't been hit with the cancellation yet.

Yeah sorry, I had forgotten that I made an order yesterday, but was nice enough to have a rep put the Verizon30 discount on it, but we had to cancel the first preorder I had put in because there was no way to do it other then having him manually put the code in while doing the upgrade process.

Reaction score
Unfortunately I missed putting in the coupon code, but there's no way I'm arguing that order now. Kicking myself, but not crying over it.

acorn

Reaction score
Current Phone Model
LG G4
I got unlimited data and a BOGO free by switching to Sprint after being with Verizon forever. Also got a monthly plan discount that Verizon wasn't offering me.

kodiak799

Gold Member
Reaction score
Would they rather PO several thousand or have 10s of thousands complaining to them

It's a glitch. They happen. The only correct course of action is to honor the deals that were made.

But cue up another round of bed-whetting over speculation that VZW is going to stick it's customers that never happens. Like clockwork. The amount of manufactured whining over pure speculation about things VZW hasn't and won't do has just become tiresome.

guidot

Developer Relations
Staff member
Premium Member
Reaction score
Well if they do I will go straight there and cancel my account.

Sent from my XT1060 using Tapatalk 2

kodiak799

Gold Member
Reaction score
Why would upgrading your device trigger a plan change though? If the purchase already went thru, then it shouldn't be any different than buying a device retail and activating it.

I was assuming VZW would have to go thru manually and knock these people back down to 2gigs, which I seriously doubt they would do.

Big Ry

Reaction score
You're resigning a contact. Verizon needs to run through this all in their system, reassigning current plans/features and adding/removing ones you request. They can only add plans and features that are in their system though, which until this glitch did not include unlimited data. So basically you have signed a fresh contact, regardless of whether or not anything changed plan/feature wise. And that is their justification for switching you all to 2GB

Sent from my Galaxy Nexus using Tapatalk 4

New2u

Super Moderator
Reaction score
You're resigning a contact. Verizon needs to run through this all in their system, reassigning current plans/features and adding/removing ones you request. They can only add plans and features that are in their system though, which until this glitch did not include unlimited data. So basically you have signed a fresh contact, regardless of whether or not anything changed plan/feature wise. And that is their justification for switching you all to 2GB

Actually the unlimited data plan still exists in their system, because technically i'm still with unlimited data, so the plan is still there, it's just that reps and sales folk aren't allowed to change the plan in the system BACK to the unlimited plans. The way the system is setup is to only allow the new plans.

That is still not an official word for Verizon. That is just their supports twitter account.

The problem that they will have to face is that many many people have logs with reps where the reps are saying it was a limited time promotion. This fact alone would make it hard for them to state that it was an honest glitch and get out of the bait and switch law. If from the beginning it was stated from all reps that it was a glitch in the system and that they are working on it, then that is a different story. I'm sorry but if it was a "glitch" they should have taken the site down the moment they knew about it and saw people taking advantage of it. The fact that it was allowed to stay up and the fact that you have some reps stating that it was a limited time promotion, can get them in much trouble with the bait and switch laws. Does anyone here really think that Verizon couldn't have stopped people from upgrading if they wanted to? Taken from what someone else said on the issue:

However, when Verizon :-is aware of the issue
-has employees advise customers they are aware of the issue
-advises those customers it's okay to upgrade
-provides customers transcipts saying all of the above
-doesn't fix the issue for 24 hours or longer
-charges people's credit cards and hands over a product

they can't turn around and say sorry it was a mistake we are changing your plan. That's exactly what a bait and switch is and it's illegal. Again, they allowed this to happen for at least 24 hours when they could have just shut down the website.

It's not up to the customer to know whether the store is making a mistake. Most people don't spend a ton of time reading tech news or browsing Android Forums. Not everyone is aware you can't keep unlimited data, especially when 2 of the 4 major service providers still offer it.

Last edited:

Big Ry

Reaction score
Well yes, when they view your account it has to show something Lol. My point was that when they go to re-add your features through the upgrade process in their POS system, unlimited data is not an option.

New2u

Super Moderator
Reaction score
Well yes, when they view your account it has to show something Lol. My point was that when they go to re-add your features through the upgrade process in their POS system, unlimited data is not an option.

True, in most instances it wasn't. This instance it was. The tech I talked to even stated, "well I went ahead and re-added all the features that was on the first order and it even let me keep the unlimited data on there for you." At that point it wasn't just ME taking advantage of a glitch in the system, that was their OWN tech that did a manual upgrade through their system, line by line and upgraded my phone that way. The reason the tech had to do it that way was because I wanted to add the "VERIZON30" discount to a preorder. So it wasn't just a website glitch, because it even allowed people using the best buy interface, and the amazon interface to keep their unlimited data. The moment that Verizon knew of this glitch (which from what i've heard has been going on for quite a few days now) and did nothing, they waive their rights to claim ignorance in a bait and switch law.

*edit* Plus people did actually go to the stores and walked out with a fully upgraded account with unlimited data.

kodiak799

Gold Member
Reaction score

If what you are saying is true, then you can't even buy a phone retail and activate it on your account. I've been under the impression this is not the case.

The purchase has already gone through without a plan change. I don't understand why it's then not simply a question of activating the phone on your account.

Reaction score
Ummm, Just checked my order status and my phone shipped :) Checked my Verizon account and data is still unlimited. FYI I didn't use the $30 discount code as I didn't know.

Technically aren't I in the clear since all I have to do is put in the SIM and activate??