Tether beware

rfranken

Reaction score
Word on the street from P3 is unistall the tbh hack for tethering asap. How best is this done in liberty?

nordy420

Reaction score
He said that someone was downloading at unheard of speeds and it was going to be investigated.

armedmonkey

Reaction score
that makes no sense. tethering doesn't give you better speeds. I'm pretty sure that's not why- he says they figured out a way to detect it.

foxky

Reaction score
edited because I'm an idiot.

the hotspot hack lets you use a paid-for service for free, and tethering uses a lot of data. its being investigated most likely because they want these people to pay. its all about money

Sent from my DROIDX using DroidForums

Last edited:

kdkinc

Reaction score
he said to remove the hotspot hack which uncaps your data. people were getting 40 mbps download speeds or something outrageous.

Sent from my DROIDX using DroidForums

That was a phony April fools picture as stated by th OP of the picture showing 40mbps.

However follow this OP warnings........

armedmonkey

Reaction score
foxky, it would be good if you stopped spreading information for which you don't have first hand proof. It would be better if you went to every place you wrote that and edited your post to reflect the fact that it was incorrect.

Many of these threads are getting really long and people don't read all of them. They will read what you said and believe it, without reading the followups saying that it's false.

voidedsaint

Reaction score
this was in the forums i hang out in, so read, and come to your own conclusions, these arent my words, but just letting everyone know another side. this makes much more sense than someone downloading at 40 mbps and got caught

Beesley Tweet. I thought of this before I read his tweet and tend to agree with his thinking:

On Thursday 7th April 2011, @TheRealBeesley said:

I was just thinking (yes i know, dangerous) But no wonder P3 is (pooping) his pants tonight. He was charging ppl for an app to unlock VZW data throttling and tethering. Wouldnt be surprised if thats a felony. Can you imagine how many GB's that app has caused people to use? And to top it off, he got the idea from this post here ( Howto: Rootless 3G Mobile Hotspot - AP/Infrastructure Mode #Free4All - xda-developers ) and then took it for his own, and had the audacity to charge people for it. Not trying to be a white knight here, cuz I def used the app when I had an X, but I have a feeling since his TBH app has been ripped from the market, that he's probably (and better be) lawyered up.

His tweets tonight seem more like damage control to me, than an attempt to actually "save" ppl who are using "his" hack and/or gingerbread radio.

Anyway,Droid X users, Get that hack off of your phone ASAP, at this point you definitely aren't the shiniest piece of chrome on the car if you're still using it.

Good luck to all, including P3. I have a feeling he's gonna need it.

Last edited by a moderator:

FillTheVoid

Reaction score
+1 for legitimate information with sources ^^

Sent from my DROID2 using DroidForums App

Dr.Dad

Reaction score
technical question

I have been on liberty for a while, so I can't even remember the last time I even saw the 3G mobile hotspot app on my phone or did the data throttle and free hacks zips. Are they still "there" somewhere or once you wipe, clear, and rom are they gone? If they are still there, how do you find them and delete/ reverse them?

OP
R

rfranken

Reaction score
Is any of these hacks built into Liberty?
I just did the maderstscok and then rom'd up to the new liberty 2.0.1
So hoping i'm all free and clear.
I even used Titanium and uninstalled the 3g mobile hotspot app.

armedmonkey

Reaction score
Thanks saint. Just to clarify - Liberty 1.5 itself doesn't install this sort of hack, right? If I didn't explicitly get it from tbh i'm good yea?

voidedsaint

Reaction score
liberty doesnt install anything like that, it all comes from the black hat app from the market that is no longer available, so if you have ever installed tranquility, or TBH app and installed the 3g hotspot, then the hotspot hack, its in your system, no wiping data or cache will remove it, best thing to do is either maderstcok or sbf, i sbf'd numerous times, so im def not worried, sbf removes all traces, and im sure maderstcok does as well