Tether beware

SoDroid

Reaction score
liberty doesnt install anything like that, it all comes from the black hat app from the market that is no longer available, so if you have ever installed tranquility, or TBH app and installed the 3g hotspot, then the hotspot hack, its in your system, no wiping data or cache will remove it, best thing to do is either maderstcok or sbf, i sbf'd numerous times, so im def not worried, sbf removes all traces, and im sure maderstcok does as well

I tried out the Hotspot hack back in February. Only had it for a few days, I don't even think I used it. I've since flashed a number of ROMs and wiped and cleared data several times, I have not SBF'd. But I see no signs of the hack.

Do you think I need to SBF?

rcglider

Reaction score
liberty doesnt install anything like that, it all comes from the black hat app from the market that is no longer available, so if you have ever installed tranquility, or TBH app and installed the 3g hotspot, then the hotspot hack, its in your system, no wiping data or cache will remove it, best thing to do is either maderstcok or sbf, i sbf'd numerous times, so im def not worried, sbf removes all traces, and im sure maderstcok does as well
If it is never used, why should anyone be worried?

rcglider

Reaction score
/me waits for this thread to get out of control:eek:hmy:

Y, it would nice to only get the facts. Again, if it is not used, what is the problem? Can VZW detect if it installed? Do they have a pre-crime division?

voidedsaint

Reaction score
well im not sure if it can be detected if its never used.

but the way i always see it

better safe than sorry.

and if you havent found any traces of it after wiping data and cache so many times no worries, you need to load your 3g hotspot app back, and enable it, connect a device to it, and see if you get access to the net, if you dont it should take you to verizons subscription page or something like that, thats how you know its not on there

maximumpower

Reaction score
What's the difference between a hack built into a ROM and an app you download that lets you create a hotspot for tethering? Do these apps somehow hack the ROM?

I just searched the android market and there is a page full of tethering apps. Some say you don't even need root!

So even if you don't have it built into your ROM, there are still apps on the market that let you do it. I am surprise those are allowed to exist.

SoDroid

Reaction score
What's the difference between a hack built into a ROM and an app you download that lets you create a hotspot for tethering? Do these apps somehow hack the ROM?

I just searched the android market and there is a page full of tethering apps. Some say you don't even need root!

So even if you don't have it built into your ROM, there are still apps on the market that let you do it. I am surprise those are allowed to exist.

This is in regards to a specific hack of the native 3G hotspot (this is not found in market. You had to do it manually or use the TBH app) and not necessarily about tethering.

Although information has been surfacing indicating that tethering in general right now is not a good idea. MobilePanda (works for Verizon but position is unknown, he is a trusted source) has said they do track data consumption and can tell whether it is tethered or not. At this time Verizon is not acting. He said they are waiting for AT&T to do something about it before they do. They probably want to see how it goes to give them a better idea of the best way to attack the situation.

EDIT: This hack is not applied to your system simply my flashing Liberty. You have to manually administer the hack.

Last edited:

DJxPanda

Reaction score
So I applied the hack to my phone prior to doing a failed sbf(bootloop) and factory reset. Should I be at risk? I applied the hack through the darkslide rom. Im not on gb rooted.

Sent from my DROIDX using DroidForums

foxky

Reaction score
foxky, it would be good if you stopped spreading information for which you don't have first hand proof. It would be better if you went to every place you wrote that and edited your post to reflect the fact that it was incorrect.

Many of these threads are getting really long and people don't read all of them. They will read what you said and believe it, without reading the followups saying that it's false.

I feel stupid, I was thinking about the unthrottling hack. sorry about that!

Sent from my DROIDX using DroidForums

Last edited by a moderator:

fastfood8891

Reaction score
This is in regards to a specific hack of the native 3G hotspot (this is not found in market. You had to do it manually or use the TBH app) and not necessarily about tethering.

Although information has been surfacing indicating that tethering in general right now is not a good idea. MobilePanda (works for Verizon but position is unknown, he is a trusted source) has said they do track data consumption and can tell whether it is tethered or not..

i know wireless tethering is against the TOS, but i've always wondered what the official position is on apps like pdanet that basically do the same thing over usb and without root.

anyone know?

www3

Reaction score
Go to the verizon store and ask them. The manager of a corporate store told me that they are not going after low level tethering right now

Sent from my DROID2 GLOBAL using DroidForums App

Nmayar

Reaction score
I bet they can't do anything about it at all. What are they going to do anyway? Stop the community of people that are helping them sell the phones for them?

Sent from my Liberated DroidX

dfuser312553

Silver Member
Reaction score
Realistically what could they do to find out? Your phone is the one pinging the tower so the traffic looks the same. They cannot scan your phone for files or lack thereof either.

Reaction score
in my eyes the only way this could be a disastrous situation is if Google stepped in. they know who downloaded what off the market, they have the ability to see what is on your phone, and they would have the resources and knowhow to shut it down. So instill the gentle giant roars, I'm not gonna worry.