Swype

M

Matth3w

You pretty much summed up why I decided on Shapewriter instead of Swype.

Flomaster

Premium Member
Premium Member
Reaction score
the only thing swype has on shapewriter is the fact I can add email address to the dictionary.

but yeah I prefer the Shapewriter over swype

-=Jason=-

DeeMat

Reaction score
After so many recommendations i had to go check out shape writer. Im typing from it right now. Let's see how it goes.

au1776

Reaction score
Tried shapewriter out for about 10 minutes. Much less intuitive than Swype, I think (Luke over like, fire over for). May just require more precision, but seems less efficient.

My major problem with Swype is that it absolutely refuses to let me type "a." It doesn't even list it as an option. Bizarre.

M

Matth3w

Tried shapewriter out for about 10 minutes. Much less intuitive than Swype, I think (Luke over like, fire over for). May just require more precision, but seems less efficient.

My major problem with Swype is that it absolutely refuses to let me type "a." It doesn't even list it as an option. Bizarre.
Just FYI I tested both of those words out ten times each with only one error between all twenty tries. It's definitely your ability to use the program, not the ability of the program itself.

And that's not a dig on you, just letting you know.

LakeMountD

Reaction score

Agreed, it is much less accurate. It wasn't that I didn't like Shapewriter but they need to bring the matching score down a bit because if you don't get it perfect it doesn't seem to get it right a lot of times. But hey I am sure as with other apps it is a work in progress :).

au1776

Reaction score

Just FYI I tested both of those words out ten times each with only one error between all twenty tries. It's definitely your ability to use the program, not the ability of the program itself.

And that's not a dig on you, just letting you know.

I assume ShapeWriter works correctly, it just didn't have as much "forgiveness" as Swype in my trial.

Reaction score
Is anyone such a novice that they can't even figure out how to set up swype. I can download it but once it's on Astro I have no idea how to unzip a file, then where to go from there. Embarrassing, but I'm humbly asking if anyone will enlighten me on the steps?
If it's just an apk file all you have to do is find it in your Astro file manager (make sure you mount your SD card first by clicking on the notification and choosing mount)...probably located on your SD card (I make a folder called APK for all apps)...then simply click the file. It will ask if you want to open it, and then you hit install and it will tell you that you need to enable third party apps or something, click yes, then install it.

Thanks so much! I can't believe I did it finally. I'm excited to try it now!

Reaction score
Is anyone such a novice that they can't even figure out how to set up swype. I can download it but once it's on Astro I have no idea how to unzip a file, then where to go from there. Embarrassing, but I'm humbly asking if anyone will enlighten me on the steps?
If it's just an apk file all you have to do is find it in your Astro file manager (make sure you mount your SD card first by clicking on the notification and choosing mount)...probably located on your SD card (I make a folder called APK for all apps)...then simply click the file. It will ask if you want to open it, and then you hit install and it will tell you that you need to enable third party apps or something, click yes, then install it.

Thanks so much! I can't believe I did it finally. I'm excited to try it now!

One more question..I can't find 'swype' on any of my icons which I guess makes sense although in the applications it does show it was installed. How do I open it?

dwagner88

Reaction score
I know that most people on here have a large and somewhat irrational hatred of all things apple, but I have to say that I was amazed that apple failed to implement a system like swype on the iPad. That would have solved the biggest problem of tablet computers: awkward text input. Imagine how effortless swype would be on a 9.7 inch screen, especially in portrait mode. As it stands, the thing seems very useless, as it is just a large iPod touch with a gargantuan keyboard attachment.

SRR1138

Reaction score
Just an FYI, if one wants to caps a WHOLE word in swype just hold down the shift key for 1-2 secs and then the keyboard will stay in all caps till you hit shift again.

switchedfromiphone

Reaction score
Just tried ShapeWriter for about 10 minutes, it didn't get ANYTHING correct for me. I am seriously disappointed after reading so many good reviews here. I tried everything - sliding fast, sliding slow, stopping at each letter to make SURE it would read the word right...nothing. Nothing at all worked. "lol" always became "look" even when I added lol to the dictionary. "Bored" became something like "Ruth" etc etc. I could NOT get it to be accurate...literally at all. Either my fingers are the size of hotdogs or I'm seriously impaired.