Swype

Audiophobe

Reaction score
Just tried Swype.
I don't find it convenients at all.
What am I missing?
Does not auto capitalize, and I find that my thumb is always in the way of the letters so its slower to find them.

SRR1138

Reaction score
I use my pointer finger. And as far as caps, did you go through the tutorial?

FSTTYMS

Reaction score
Swype is RAD! I was getting frustrated with some thing. Keep messing with it, you'll get it :)

Vulcan1600

Super Moderator
Staff member
Premium Member
Reaction score
I was a pessimist swype user at first too. Like was mentioned, do the tutorial, it teaches you a lot. As for the caps, for example you want to say "I", just take your finger from the "i" and go straight up off the keyboard and it will capitalize it. As for things like the word "look" with two o's in it, you just circle around the o and it will give it the double. Give Swype a chance, I think you'll never go back to a stock keyboard again.

hookbill

Premium Member
Premium Member
Reaction score
I know it's hard for some people to believe but there are a few of us who just can't use Swype. I wanted to be able to use it, really truly did but the problem that I had was I'm just too use to texting with two hands. After years of typing on a regular keyboard I'm wired so that letters I type with my right hand I text with my right finger and left hand uses left finger.

Just couldn't do it. I know it probably works for 99.5% of the people out there but there are a few of us who just don't get it.

coondogg97

Reaction score
I was not at all impressed with Swype when I first started using it. It really does grow on you though.

Keep in mind the Swype that we are using is not officially from Swype so it will be missing features. From my understanding Swype on the Omnia 2 works much better since that is the phone it was released on.

Martin030908

Super Moderator
Reaction score
Swype is still a beta application. And we probably won't see it in the Market... the developers (same people that developer T9) are pushing for OEM distribution)
If you're not familiar with the keyboard Swype can be confusing because you are covering the keys, but a lot of us have the keyboard layout ingrained into our minds.(lol) This makes Swype lightning fast because you don't have to be perfectly accurate to get Swype to recognize text :)

kaboyd

Reaction score
Just tried Swype.
I don't find it convenients at all.
What am I missing?
Does not auto capitalize, and I find that my thumb is always in the way of the letters so its slower to find them.

I agree that the lack of auto capitalization is very frustrating, and in some cases the auto spacing can mess with me. It took about a week to get use to it, but I like how it's grown on me. I think it has much promise with a few fixes.

Martin030908

Super Moderator
Reaction score
I highly recommend taking the 6-7 minutes and going through the tutorial in the Swype app. It will help you understand Swype 10-fold :)

MK17

Reaction score
Swype is cool, but it has become more of a show off app for me. It works really well until i screw up one word then its just harder to fix and easier for me to pull out the physical keyboard or switch to the android keyboard.

Though, I'll give it some more time, because I was very impressed when i swyped "apoplectic" and it worked first try.

Mamaperk

Reaction score
I am definitely a fan of Swype! I have had people comment to me via text message that I must have a fast phone or am a fast texter ... probably part Droid and part Swype but thanks! :icon_ banana:

I'm still learning ... have been using it for a couple weeks ... sometimes have trouble when I have to punch in the keys and get fed up and use the physical keyboard ...

It does help to watch the tutorial.

Martin030908

Super Moderator
Reaction score
Swype, contrary to most people, has actually solidified my usage of the physical keyboard. Swype is obviously my choice when in portrait mode.... it's great for texting and simple text entry. When I need to put in usernames, passwords, or any other specific things (sometimes I don't feel like tapping out entries in Swype) the physical keyboard is my go-to entry method. I love having the choice of both :)