Swype

drewshaver

Reaction score
Swype, contrary to most people, has actually solidified my usage of the physical keyboard. Swype is obviously my choice when in portrait mode.... it's great for texting and simple text entry. When I need to put in usernames, passwords, or any other specific things (sometimes I don't feel like tapping out entries in Swype) the physical keyboard is my go-to entry method. I love having the choice of both :)

you can add your username, emails, and even password to the swype dictionary, and then swype them. just swype over the @ symbol, and . , once you are in the dictionary it handles it fine. if you dont type your password into a plain field (non pw) it wont get added to the dictionary. it even handles numbers and presumably (although ic ouldnt say) symbols in your password. I can now swype my 13 character password in 2 seconds!! COOLCOLLCOLOCLOCOCCOOOOOL!!!

sarreq

Reaction score
for those having conniptions about auto-caps (or lack therein) and auto-spacing:

capitalization can be done by dragging your finger up above the keyboard space after swyping to the letter you want capitalized, so if you want to type "iPhone" (although, why?) you'd swype from "i" to "p" then hop up and down to "h"

you can easily shut auto-spacing off in swype's options, just go to the system settings -> Language & Keyboard -> Swype Settings and un-check "Auto-spacing"

kaboyd

Reaction score
for those having conniptions about auto-caps (or lack therein) and auto-spacing:

capitalization can be done by dragging your finger up above the keyboard space after swyping to the letter you want capitalized, so if you want to type "iPhone" (although, why?) you'd swype from "i" to "p" then hop up and down to "h"

My gripe is that the program doesn't auto cap after a punctuation. That's the one change I want. The auto spacing just bothers me when I'm typing a time. 3:30 comes out 3: 30 .

lockman

Reaction score
I like swype so far. Haven't used it much yet. Though it might make texting-while-driving-and -eating-and -drinking easier.

rebornlaxer

Reaction score
its amazing idk y you wouldnt like it. its so easy to use well if you know where the keys are

GodDriven

Reaction score
Nexus One Swype...

You Know I just dont get it... Okay Swype worked fabo on the Droid, Landscape and all. Now on the Nexus, it only works in Vertical. HUH? Google's latest innovation is less than the droid in some sense? Moving On... Okay, shape writer, even better keyboard rock out better. I do say that swype has a faster response time than any other one ive seen. So hopefully we get swype xclusive for the Nexus and then a standard download for other Androids...

jeffruby

Reaction score
I really love swype and think its fun to type with, but there is no way I am faster with swype compared to the stock. Swype makes it tough to type short hand ie: luv it. And mistakes take much longer to fix IMHO. I think if u are able to type ovr 60 words per minute on stock, no way you'll be as fast w swype.

M

Matth3w

I was a pessimist swype user at first too. Like was mentioned, do the tutorial, it teaches you a lot. As for the caps, for example you want to say "I", just take your finger from the "i" and go straight up off the keyboard and it will capitalize it. As for things like the word "look" with two o's in it, you just circle around the o and it will give it the double. Give Swype a chance, I think you'll never go back to a stock keyboard again.
Couple of great things that make me like Shapewriter better (in my mind).

1) Auto caps
2) Auto period/space
3) No need to do little curly Qs on the keyboard for double letters. I have big fingers and that didn't work too well with me. On Shapewriter, lok = look, etc.
4) If you want to cap a word that wouldn't usually (ie - Penguins when talking about the sports team) there is a quick one button to cycle through no cap, single cap, all cap

drewshaver

Reaction score
I really love swype and think its fun to type with, but there is no way I am faster with swype compared to the stock. Swype makes it tough to type short hand ie: luv it. And mistakes take much longer to fix IMHO. I think if u are able to type ovr 60 words per minute on stock, no way you'll be as fast w swype.

i would recc giving it a longer trial period, took me awhile to get faster with it.. btw, if you tap out a word it automataically adds it to the dictionary, so you can then swype luv to your hearts content

drewshaver

Reaction score
I was a pessimist swype user at first too. Like was mentioned, do the tutorial, it teaches you a lot. As for the caps, for example you want to say "I", just take your finger from the "i" and go straight up off the keyboard and it will capitalize it. As for things like the word "look" with two o's in it, you just circle around the o and it will give it the double. Give Swype a chance, I think you'll never go back to a stock keyboard again.
Couple of great things that make me like Shapewriter better (in my mind).

1) Auto caps
2) Auto period/space
3) No need to do little curly Qs on the keyboard for double letters. I have big fingers and that didn't work too well with me. On Shapewriter, lok = look, etc.
4) If you want to cap a word that wouldn't usually (ie - Penguins when talking about the sports team) there is a quick one button to cycle through no cap, single cap, all cap

you know you don't actually have to loop for double letters, if there is no better match it will give it to you

thansk for the heads up on shapewriter, checking it out now

drewshaver

Reaction score
hmm shapewriter pretty awesome too. now i have to decide which is better... too bad they are both lacking some pretty critical functionality. :(

M

Matth3w

I haven't ran into any problems at all with ShapeWriter to be honest. I just used it to type this with no errors

drewshaver

Reaction score
ya i noticed its recognition is very good.

it is missing smiley variety (so is swype actually, this is very nice on storck kb..)

if i single type something it should auto add to dictionary (swype does this) .

i wasnt able to add my email addr to the dict, which is one of my fav parts about swype.

i also couldnt add a text/number combo to the dict, which means i cant shape my password, huge minus.

i did really like the aggressive backspacing, backspacing on swype sucks balls.

i really hope devs read forums, there is a wealth of info here for them