Swype in Portrait only?

STIDRIVER

Reaction score
I've seen this question asked before, but can't find an answer. I like swype a lot, but I only like to use it in portrait mode. In landscape, the strokes are too long and its kind of tedious, and slower that conventional typing.. which defeats the purpose (for me anyways). I was wondering if there is a way to make Swype the default for portrait, and regular android the default for landscape. If this is not possible, are any of the other Swype alternatives (slideIT, Shapewriter) able to do this?

Corinacakes

Super Moderator
Theme Developer
Reaction score
You could long press on the text box to change it to a different keyboard. That's the only way you're going to be able to do that as far as i know.

jsh1120

Silver Member
Reaction score
I've seen this question asked several times. And as far as I know Corina is correct. One can change to another input method in landscape mode (and back again in portrait mode) on a case by case basis. That's definitely not ideal, of course. It would be better to have a default input method based on the screen orientation but as far as I know no such application exists.

But I'm not sure that people asking the question understand that the Swype keyboard can be "tapped" just like the default android keyboard. I don't like to use it that way but I'm not a "thumber." In any event it seems no worse (to me) than the standard tap keyboard for the Droid.

OP
STIDRIVER

STIDRIVER

Reaction score
I've seen this question asked several times. And as far as I know Corina is correct. One can change to another input method in landscape mode (and back again in portrait mode) on a case by case basis. That's definitely not ideal, of course. It would be better to have a default input method based on the screen orientation but as far as I know no such application exists.

But I'm not sure that people asking the question understand that the Swype keyboard can be "tapped" just like the default android keyboard. I don't like to use it that way but I'm not a "thumber." In any event it seems no worse (to me) than the standard tap keyboard for the Droid.

Wow, maybe it was just user error or the older version I was using.. but it seemed like tapping each letter would allways bring up the box with several words in it.. slowing you down. But I just tried, and it works just like the normal keyboard (just like you said :) ). The keys are larger as well, which is nice.... And the long press switcharoo is an ok workaround as well... thx guys!

jsh1120

Silver Member
Reaction score

Wow, maybe it was just user error or the older version I was using.. but it seemed like tapping each letter would allways bring up the box with several words in it.. slowing you down. But I just tried, and it works just like the normal keyboard (just like you said :) ). The keys are larger as well, which is nice.... And the long press switcharoo is an ok workaround as well... thx guys!

You may have had "predictive text" checked in your preferences in the previous version. I find that option to be, ahem, problematic at best.