Swype on Moto Droid [Video]

cb2000a

Reaction score
Will this be a paid app? I can't find any information on this atm. My assumption is yes, though.

Isn't it worth a couple bucks? :icon_ banana:

Quick, take it off your phones it is a pirated copy!

Customer Feedback & Ideas for Swype Inc

It is NOT LISENCED FOR THE DROID!

This, my friends, is a mastermind marketing plan. Plausible Deni-ability at its finest. They state that their business model is for an OEM product. For those uninitiated, that means they want to sell it to Verizon as the stock input app, or at least an alternative to a std. keyboard.

I would guess they're marketing this to Verizon as we speak.

Tell your kids NOT to do something and what do they do the first chance they get, DO IT. They know darn well that we end users will go nuts over this. Either that or one of their programmers decided to risk his job leaking this thing.

How many Droids do you think will have this "limited" version of the software on their machines in the next week? Massive numbers. Adds pressure to Verizon to pony up.

If that doesn't happen, I'll bet they'll "change" their business model and collect in $$ from the already hooked Droiders.

Heck, who could live without it once they get a taste.

So get those illegal copies off your phones immediately:icon_ banana::icon_ banana::icon_ banana::)

Who me? I'm not a swiper....:wink:

mikeofny

Reaction score
installed it on my droid and typing with it now. not quite ready for typing correctly yet but you get the point. still need more practice but getting better at it as I go.

Martin030908

Super Moderator
Reaction score
installed it on my droid and typing with it now. not quite ready for typing correctly yet but you get the point. still need more practice but getting better at it as I go.
Go through the tutorial. It definitely helps.

tu3218

Reaction score
this program is AMAZING. I have no idea how it works it out but it does and just does extremely accurately. I would no doubt pay for this app and I'm usually not one to buy apps.

wil318466

Reaction score
Well it won't install properly for me at all. It seems to install but I can't find an app anywhere in my app menu and a long press on a text entry field just gives me the options for the android keyboard or the talk to me keyboard I have installed. So I guess there's some sort of conflict. I tried twice - Astro told me that I had an uninstall option after I went in to install the second time, so I uninstalled then installed again, still no luck.

I didn't have it come up either. I long pressed on a text to change input method and it wasn't there. I had to goto settings, language and keyboard, and check "swype". Then go back to a text message and long press and the option will be there.

-Wil

allikanbe

Reaction score
a long press on the text box and you can choose which input method you want. too easy.
That works if you want to switch it back over to the Android Keyboard, but I was referring to using Swype in Horizontal mode instead of the preset veritcal keyboard. Horizontal board offers bigger keys.

I use Swype in the horizontal mode and the vertical mode and you can switch to android if you want to. On my keyboard settings, I have both Android and Swype checked. I'm not sure what you are getting at. It all seems too easy.

lemodular

Reaction score
I have been using a program identical to this called "ShapeWriter" for the last 3 weeks. While it is fun and and neat to show off, I went back to the stock KB and am typing much faster. I find it not as practical as manual input only for the reason that the buttons are too small in portrait mode and my fingers miss the letters too often and the auto correct/suggestion is not as good as the stock...even after I manually update the dictionary. In landscape mode, while easier to see the keys ahead of your swipe, it is a lot of ground to cover. The keys of numeric pad of the ShapeWriter is even smaller and VERY difficult accurately and quickly enter numbers or symbols; the Swype's numeric key pad may be different, I have not seen a screenshot of one. Editing your entry was also a pain because it kept erasing the whole words when backspace is pressed(once a word is predicted/completed), again this was on SW, Swype may be different. The handling of case and caps on the SW is interesting: enter text (all lower case) hit "case" then the first letter is capped hit case again and the whole word is capped.

Over all, while fun to use and at times seems quicker to use, it was not practical for me because of the small buttons in portrait, inaccuracy of the software and the difficult of editing that made me go back to the stock (which also needs larger buttons in portrait mode).

evil_O

Reaction score
^^^You should try Swype. I think you will find it to be a different animal.

Jumped on the bandwagon and just installed it. VERY cool app!!

SGTiger

Reaction score
I have been using a program identical to this called "ShapeWriter" for the last 3 weeks.

Swype is not "identical" to ShapeWriter. You do not have to be precise with Swype. You just have to be in the neighborhood. The rave reviews here are legit. It only takes a few minutes to try it for yourself.

mikeofny

Reaction score
that was the first thing i did. still slow but never was fast at txting anyway. works great though.

Geken

Reaction score
I have been using a program identical to this called "ShapeWriter" for the last 3 weeks. While it is fun and and neat to show off, I went back to the stock KB and am typing much faster. I find it not as practical as manual input only for the reason that the buttons are too small in portrait mode and my fingers miss the letters too often and the auto correct/suggestion is not as good as the stock...even after I manually update the dictionary. In landscape mode, while easier to see the keys ahead of your swipe, it is a lot of ground to cover. The keys of numeric pad of the ShapeWriter is even smaller and VERY difficult accurately and quickly enter numbers or symbols; the Swype's numeric key pad may be different, I have not seen a screenshot of one. Editing your entry was also a pain because it kept erasing the whole words when backspace is pressed(once a word is predicted/completed), again this was on SW, Swype may be different. The handling of case and caps on the SW is interesting: enter text (all lower case) hit "case" then the first letter is capped hit case again and the whole word is capped.

Over all, while fun to use and at times seems quicker to use, it was not practical for me because of the small buttons in portrait, inaccuracy of the software and the difficult of editing that made me go back to the stock (which also needs larger buttons in portrait mode).

I would definitely try swype, I don't find any of the problems you are talking about with the software, but the only real way to convince you would be to try it yourself.

This is the best thing to txting to happent to me since the physical keyboard. i was coming from a blackberry and going to the touch screen was a considerable transition. This program lets me rethink how to text a little bit and gives me my one handed texting back

HMJB

Reaction score
I am getting pretty good at swyping BUT still having a difficult time getting in the periods or exclaimation points and whatnot.. is there an easy way to do this?
? ! , .

I think they need to add buttons for just those without me having to press multiple buttons to add them in my sentence and pressing couple times to get back to the swype keyboard. This is the only thing bugging me.

thesandman51

Reaction score
This is amazing for when you only have one hand free (not like that you pervs.....ok, maybe like that too).

Hello being dangerous on the road as I text and drive.

SGTiger

Reaction score
I am getting pretty good at swyping BUT still having a difficult time getting in the periods or exclaimation points and whatnot.. is there an easy way to do this?
? ! , .

I think they need to add buttons for just those without me having to press multiple buttons to add them in my sentence and pressing couple times to get back to the swype keyboard. This is the only thing bugging me.

The tutorial that is built into the app will show you that you can long press a key to get the shifted key symbol.