Swype on Moto Droid [Video]

Anomander

Reaction score
Incredible app to say the least. Have only tried it for a few minutes and I was impressed. Worked fine inputing addresses in the browser too. Not sure if I can go back to typing the keys in now. Heck I might even not use the physical keyboard, but it is still nice to have that option.

FRATBoy

Reaction score
I had the OmniaII for 2 weeks before I traded it in for the Droid.

Swype was cool in theory. The only way i could get it to work halfway decent was if I sat the phone down and used my pointer to slide letter to letter.

Ever tried Swype while walking? Good luck.
Ever tried Swype while drunk? Good luck.
Unless you keep even pressure, it wont work well...at least not in my experience...

wil318466

Reaction score
I was about to reply to this post before trying out Swype, since I tried the other app that had this type of input.

Then I downloaded it, installed it,tried it, and I have to say I'm pretty amazed. Its one of those apps that almost "knows" what you are trying to say. Very nice. I think I'm going to stick with it for a bit.

I could never type with my thumbs, I dunno why, but everyone else in the world seems to use the two thumb method. I always used my right index finger. This app lets me use 1 hand, my right thumb, and it works well.

Nice. Very very nice. Just gotta figure out little things now like how to double letter something. I'll watch the video,I'm sure its in there.

-Wil

bobfinn

Reaction score
A little loop or a back-and-forth over the letter will double it.

Lynx

Reaction score

Swype was cool in theory. The only way i could get it to work halfway decent was if I sat the phone down and used my pointer to slide letter to letter.

Unless you keep even pressure, it wont work well...at least not in my experience...

I seem to have no issues using swype. I can swype while driving, I can swype while walking, and I can swype as good as I can type while drunk. I can type so much faster on this. It takes some getting use to, but once you do its easily the best app I have. Just my 2 cents.

wil318466

Reaction score
Ok.. I've tested this thing for a total of about 20 minutes and I love it. I'll give it a full week and see how I feel, but I can tell already unless I come into a serious issue with it I'm using this as my default.

Wow.

-Wil

SGTiger

Reaction score

Apparently you haven't tried it on the Droid. Also I have no clue what you are referring to in regards to "even pressure". It took less than five minutes to convince me this is the best app on the whole phone.

MarkB

Reaction score
Can you easily switch between this and other installed keyboard apps? Not just the android default I mean. I have Talk To Me Keyboard installed and would like to have the option to use that too.

SGTiger

Reaction score
Can you easily switch between this and other installed keyboard apps? Not just the android default I mean. I have Talk To Me Keyboard installed and would like to have the option to use that too.

Yes, that is not a problem. Try it. You'll be amazed.

thesandman51

Reaction score
Yea so, I'm totally wasting my first post on this, but this thing is badass.

I hate touch screen keyboards too, so this thing has to be amazing to impress me, and it really is.

Give it a couple minutes of practice and you'll be just as fast on this as you are on the physical keyboard.

Also, go through the tutorial so there aren't all these stupid/obvious questions.

SGTiger

Reaction score
Yea so, I'm totally wasting my first post on this, but this thing is badass.

I hate touch screen keyboards too, so this thing has to be amazing to impress me, and it really is.

Give it a couple minutes of practice and you'll be just as fast on this as you are on the physical keyboard.

Also, go through the tutorial so there aren't all these stupid/obvious questions.

Yeah I'm with you. When I first tried it I wasn't expecting much. I thought it would probably be just a toy. Now I'll never go back to any of the keyboards that I have tried.

My only fear is that this is a trial that will expire before it comes to the market. I am so dependent upon it now; I cannot imagine going back to a tap keyboard or a voice recognition keyboard.

This thing is crazy accurate.