Swype on Moto Droid [Video]

thesandman51

Reaction score
Yea so, I'm totally wasting my first post on this, but this thing is badass.

I hate touch screen keyboards too, so this thing has to be amazing to impress me, and it really is.

Give it a couple minutes of practice and you'll be just as fast on this as you are on the physical keyboard.

Also, go through the tutorial so there aren't all these stupid/obvious questions.

Yeah I'm with you. When I first tried it I wasn't expecting much. I thought it would probably be just a toy. Now I'll never go back to any of the keyboards that I have tried.

My only fear is that this is a trial that will expire before it comes to the market. I am so dependent upon it now; I cannot imagine going back to a tap keyboard or a voice recognition keyboard.

This thing is crazy accurate.

I'm sure if it was a trial, it would have said somewhere.

MarkB

Reaction score
Well it won't install properly for me at all. It seems to install but I can't find an app anywhere in my app menu and a long press on a text entry field just gives me the options for the android keyboard or the talk to me keyboard I have installed. So I guess there's some sort of conflict. I tried twice - Astro told me that I had an uninstall option after I went in to install the second time, so I uninstalled then installed again, still no luck.

AKValle26

Reaction score
Well it won't install properly for me at all. It seems to install but I can't find an app anywhere in my app menu and a long press on a text entry field just gives me the options for the android keyboard or the talk to me keyboard I have installed. So I guess there's some sort of conflict. I tried twice - Astro told me that I had an uninstall option after I went in to install the second time, so I uninstalled then installed again, still no luck.

go into settings, keyboard settings, and check swype

Anomander

Reaction score
I am amazed at how accurate this app is. I would definitely switch to this app if I could set it to be the default for horizontal mode only. I still prefer the regular Android keyboard in landscape mode.
I don't find it all that hard to switch it over to the horizontal mode when texting. Sure it would be nice if you could make it default to it, but once you hit the text box just turn your phone and it does not take to long to switch over.

This would be an App I would be glad to pay for. If I see it is taking donations when it comes out on the marketplace I will be glad to support it.

Anomander

Reaction score
a long press on the text box and you can choose which input method you want. too easy.
That works if you want to switch it back over to the Android Keyboard, but I was referring to using Swype in Horizontal mode instead of the preset veritcal keyboard. Horizontal board offers bigger keys.

SGTiger

Reaction score
Yea so, I'm totally wasting my first post on this, but this thing is badass.

I hate touch screen keyboards too, so this thing has to be amazing to impress me, and it really is.

Give it a couple minutes of practice and you'll be just as fast on this as you are on the physical keyboard.

Also, go through the tutorial so there aren't all these stupid/obvious questions.

Yeah I'm with you. When I first tried it I wasn't expecting much. I thought it would probably be just a toy. Now I'll never go back to any of the keyboards that I have tried.

My only fear is that this is a trial that will expire before it comes to the market. I am so dependent upon it now; I cannot imagine going back to a tap keyboard or a voice recognition keyboard.

This thing is crazy accurate.

I'm sure if it was a trial, it would have said somewhere.

LOL, the file name is Swype-trial-release.zip. Sounds kinda like a trial. Again, I'm hoping it doesn't expire.

Swype keyboard preview for Droid leaked DroidMuff.in

Last edited:

cupfulloflol

Reaction score
If you have Swype as the default, you can tap your contact and then simply long press on the text box where you want to "type" and a window pops up so you can choose input method. You can use Swype or Android. Too easy.

This is how I use it, except I still have the regular keyboard set as default and switch to Swype. I am still much more efficient with a regular keyboard. This is very slick though, and with some time, I may be able to be able to just wiggle my finger around the screen like it was a wand, and watch words appear.

Thanks for finding this. I am an old dog, but I don't mind learning new tricks sometimes :)

moot

Reaction score
Will this be a paid app? I can't find any information on this atm. My assumption is yes, though.

rothenbj

Reaction score
Will this be a paid app? I can't find any information on this atm. My assumption is yes, though.

Isn't it worth a couple bucks? :icon_ banana:

Quick, take it off your phones it is a pirated copy!

Customer Feedback & Ideas for Swype Inc

It is NOT LISENCED FOR THE DROID!

This, my friends, is a mastermind marketing plan. Plausible Deni-ability at its finest. They state that their business model is for an OEM product. For those uninitiated, that means they want to sell it to Verizon as the stock input app, or at least an alternative to a std. keyboard.

I would guess they're marketing this to Verizon as we speak.

Tell your kids NOT to do something and what do they do the first chance they get, DO IT. They know darn well that we end users will go nuts over this. Either that or one of their programmers decided to risk his job leaking this thing.

How many Droids do you think will have this "limited" version of the software on their machines in the next week? Massive numbers. Adds pressure to Verizon to pony up.

If that doesn't happen, I'll bet they'll "change" their business model and collect in $$ from the already hooked Droiders.

Heck, who could live without it once they get a taste.

So get those illegal copies off your phones immediately:icon_ banana::icon_ banana::icon_ banana::)

Last edited:

meekless

Reaction score

Hello there folks, thanks for the info on Swype. I read about it just earlier today, but no info on how to obtain the app. Downloaded and installed on my Droid in all of a minute and already love it!

Thanks to all who helped in getting this info out there. I can't imagine how they can improve on this with the final release, but man I'm excited to find out!

Thanks again!