[Video] Swype - a revolution on typing

Psychokitty

Reaction score
Most impressive.. first time I have even been able to respond to my wife's texts faster than she can reply back.. too funny, she was getting frustrated trying to keep up and had to know how I was doing it (I am an old school 2 finger typer even on a PC) :)
Same deal here. I HATED texting before! My siblings are all a lot younger than I and in to the whole texting thing, but I'm an old dawg that types using only my middle fingers on a full sized board.
Swype makes it all so much easier for me to keep up, so much so that I've actually grown to like texting in just the past two days!

jrl9851

Reaction score
How do I install this? I cannot figure it out. How to I transfer to my SD card after I download it onto my computer?

johnnykaker

Reaction score
Yes, install from your computer..Just follow instructions on the link in the first post..Very easy..

Martin030908

Super Moderator
Reaction score
How do I install this? I cannot figure it out. How to I transfer to my SD card after I download it onto my computer?

Download onto your computer. Extract the zip file, which will give you the apk file. Connect your Droid to your PC... click on the notification bar on your Droid and select 'Mount' USB.
A window on your PC should pop up, click to 'open/view folders' and then cut/copy/drag the extracted apk file onto your SD card into whatever folder you keep backed up apps, and then click on the apk file... should begin install.

jrl9851

Reaction score
When I checked the box on swype I got a warning that said this can collect information like passwords and credit card info...wtf?

jrl9851

Reaction score
Also, how does this work if you want to type a word that has the same letter back to back (like "app")?

allikanbe

Reaction score
You do not have to install it on your computer. If you have an app like Astro or ES File Manager, then you can download it easily on your Droid. Then you have to extract the files since the download is a zip file.
Also, once it is installed on your Droid, you can go to Settings, Language and Keyboard, Swype and then Tutorial. Check out the tutorial for sure. It's a step-by-step lesson on how to make it work.
It really is very good.

LifeIsABeach

Reaction score
Also, how does this work if you want to type a word that has the same letter back to back (like "app")?

You swirl your finger in a circle on the key. Watch the tutorial videos for how to do that, capitalization, punctuation, etc.

jrl9851

Reaction score
Thanks. I'll watch the videos, but one last question first. I've been trying to type out messages and if I type in a word and then go to space bar, and then start typing another word, it doesn't work. I have to type the word, take my finger off the screen to hit space, and then do the next word.

Jason

Reaction score
Thanks. I'll watch the videos, but one last question first. I've been trying to type out messages and if I type in a word and then go to space bar, and then start typing another word, it doesn't work. I have to type the word, take my finger off the screen to hit space, and then do the next word.
It will space automatically for you if you do one word then take you're finger off the screen and then do the next word

Martin030908

Super Moderator
Reaction score
you don't have to swipe thru to the space bar unless you're adding punctuation. let up your finger and then start your next word, it will auto space for you. provided you have the option set in the Swype settings.

cisco0910

Reaction score
Everybody just needs to stolp avoiding the tutorial and just do it. T helps greatly,takes like 6 mins and would benefit from it. Trust me

Martin030908

Super Moderator
Reaction score
Everybody just needs to stolp avoiding the tutorial and just do it. T helps greatly,takes like 6 mins and would benefit from it. Trust me
i agree. even though I felt I had a good handle on the app I went thru the tutorial just to see if I was missing anything. And I was! It's built into the app so it's not like it's any inconvenience. :icon_ banana:

Psychokitty

Reaction score
Use the "tips" option when you hit the swipe dedicated key. It's great; has everything the tutorial has and you don't have to go through every screen in the tutorial.
-View the tutorial first, absolutely. But then the tips thing is really great for thumbing through to get to what you need to find out quickly.