Swype coming to the droid?

FootballRef

Reaction score
Anyone know if ShapeWriter really collects credit card and personal info.

It gives you a warning when you first start it. Not sure I am interested in using it.

Jonny Kansas

Administrator
Staff member
Rescue Squad
Reaction score
Website
www.google.com
Current Phone Model
Pixel XL
Twitter
jonny_ks

It gives you a warning when you first start it. Not sure I am interested in using it.

You get that warning with EVERY keyboard app that I've ever tried out. It's Google's little way of covering their own a## if someone DOES put a key-logger in a keyboard app.

The way the Android community is, someone would've noticed that their info was stolen by now on MOST of these apps, ShapeWriter included, and we'd know about it.

I don't worry about it personally...(I'm using Swype)

FootballRef

Reaction score

You get that warning with EVERY keyboard app that I've ever tried out. It's Google's little way of covering their own a## if someone DOES put a key-logger in a keyboard app.

The way the Android community is, someone would've noticed that their info was stolen by now on MOST of these apps, ShapeWriter included, and we'd know about it.

I have heard nothing but good things about Swype. Cannot find it to download. I guess I will try ShapeWriter for a while.

MiXoLoGiSt

Reaction score

I have heard nothing but good things about Swype. Cannot find it to download. I guess I will try ShapeWriter for a while.

Search "Swype apk" here on the forums and you will find it.

FoFa

Reaction score
Well my original (leaked?) version of swype died (trial ended) the same day I got 2.1 update. What a great easter present (pouty face).
Now i find I can't live without swype.
I am trying the shapewriter free trial, but it does not work as good as swype.
Anyway to "fix" swype until we can get a true version included on the phone?

jsh1120

Silver Member
Reaction score
Well my original (leaked?) version of swype died (trial ended) the same day I got 2.1 update. What a great easter present (pouty face).

The mods have apparently decided that efforts to download the beta version of Swype outside the official beta program fall into the category of "pirated" apps that are prohibited here. I think it may be difficult to enforce the "tightened" rule but I admire them for trying.

There are, of course, other places on the web where a version of the beta software is available. And they're not especially hard to find. If it makes you feel any better, the official beta version of Swype is also "time-limited" so even if you get it, you'll have a pouty face down the line, anyhow.

If you find Shapewriter doesn't meet your needs, you might consider SlideIt. I found that it ran a close second to Swype when I used them both.

MiXoLoGiSt

Reaction score

The mods have apparently decided that efforts to download the beta version of Swype outside the official beta program fall into the category of "pirated" apps that are prohibited here. I think it may be difficult to enforce the "tightened" rule but I admire them for trying.

There are, of course, other places on the web where a version of the beta software is available. And they're not especially hard to find. If it makes you feel any better, the official beta version of Swype is also "time-limited" so even if you get it, you'll have a pouty face down the line, anyhow.

If you find Shapewriter doesn't meet your needs, you might consider SlideIt. I found that it ran a close second to Swype when I used them both.

Well thank god i still got the APK on my SD card then lol. If trial ends i uninstall and reinstall and Voila.

jsh1120

Silver Member
Reaction score

Well thank god i still got the APK on my SD card then lol. If trial ends i uninstall and reinstall and Voila.

Well, not unless you want to change the date on your phone. The timer doesn't set a certain number of days; it times out on a particular date.

ginormus

Reaction score
Any ideas on when Swype will go "live" in the market. I loved the trial but Now I can't use it at all...

Fraxinus

Reaction score
Sorry to not provide a link-back here but I didn't have time to look. Search the forum and you should find a download for the swype.apk - go to settings and allow non-market app installs, use something like Astro to browse your SD card and install the .apk and you should have a permanent copy of swype. You don't need to be rooted for this.

jsh1120

Silver Member
Reaction score
Sorry to not provide a link-back here but I didn't have time to look. Search the forum and you should find a download for the swype.apk - go to settings and allow non-market app installs, use something like Astro to browse your SD card and install the .apk and you should have a permanent copy of swype. You don't need to be rooted for this.

Wrong on two counts, I believe. First, I'm under the impression that the mods have removed references to the swype download though they may have missed some. Second, the version that is available (an early version of the beta) is time-limited, just as the true beta version is. At least that's what Swype says.

MiXoLoGiSt

Reaction score
Any ideas on when Swype will go "live" in the market. I loved the trial but Now I can't use it at all...

Swype probably wont be released on the Market. They are more focused on having their keyboard on phones right out of the box. The only phone to have this out of the box is the Samsung Omnia II.

On another note you can try SlideIT from the market. It runs a close second to Swype.
I have both Swype and i paid for SlideIT so if it happens that i cannot use Swype anymore i still got SlideIT.

Fraxinus

Reaction score
hmm, my apologies then. I haven't had Swype long enough to have run into the time boundary. That's a serious bummer if that's the case.