Swype vs. SwiftKey vs. Other Keyboard Apps

PowrDroid

Reaction score
I was looking to improve my texting speed so I tried out Swype and downloaded and tried SwiftKey 3 Free. Some observations.

Swype: Takes a while to get used to swiping around the keyboard with one finger but once you get it right you can really fly. I find the predictive text function simply amazing. Also like the auto-space insertion. I found it worked best for me holding phone in portrait orientation. I didn't get tired because I'm only using only one finger and one hand. I really can't think of any downside except that it's so....different.

SwiftKey 3: More conventional method of typing. You can select fast typing mode (using two thumbs) or deliberate typing mode (one finger.) I used fast mode with phone in landscape orientation. This seems much more intuitive than Swype but after about 30 minutes of constant typing my thumb joints were getting a bit sore. The marketing material for this product touts the predictive text correction function but I didn't think it was as good as Swype.

After playing around with these two apps for about an hour and a half, I'm a Swype convert. There is some adapting to this new method of text entry but once you get the hang of it you can really fly. Plus, the bonus is that you can freak out onlookers that watch you texting by running on finger over the keyboard.

Have you tried these apps? Thoughts? What's your favorite keyboard app and why?

jntdroid

Super Moderator
Premium Member
Reaction score
I really like Swype - especially if I have to use one hand or if I'm laying in bed at night (i.e. gravity is pushing the phone the other direction, where I have to use one hand to hold it, rather than standard typing where it can rest in both hands freeing up your thumbs).

I'm still faster on Swiftkey when both hands are available, but find Swype easier overall - and you're right, their prediction has gotten really really good.

I use them both, honestly - I think they're the best of both worlds. There are times when I need/prefer the faster typing on Swiftkey, but Swype is a mainstay for me, for sure. Now, it'll be interesting to see how Swiftkey Flow works... :)

OP
PowrDroid

PowrDroid

Reaction score
I have noticed that Swype uses over 10 MB, a noteworthy amount of memory, but not a problem for the Maxx HD to handle.

jackiescivic

Diamond Member
Reaction score
Don't forget, there's now Swiftkey Flow Beta too ;) Best of both worlds!
Personally I've never been a fan of Swype. Just couldn't get a grasp on it. I did try it with Flow, and it's alright. Can't really see myself using it much though, especially since I have small hands and a large phone. If I had larger hands, I could definitely see using it more often. Now though, I am using the paid version of Swiftkey because I believe in supporting the hard work and effort developers put into apps!