Swype MotoDroid "wrong version" problems are solved here!

ss freak

Reaction score
Anyone else getting a wierd skull boot animation with this...might have got a virus in the version I downloaded.

SS

ss freak

Reaction score
Anyone else getting a wierd skull boot animation with this...might have got a virus in the version I downloaded.

SS
You would have the first virus EVER confirmed on Android. I doubt it :)

Seriously though...downloaded and installed the swype apk that holmes linked to. Installed and it worked flawlessly. Rebooted to make sure.

The boot animation had changed. It was a skull with its head bent back and smoke coming out of its mouth...then a skull with mouth opening until bootup.

Went to home and it locked up.

Rebooted and it happened two boots in a row (without locking up home again though) restored immediately...I shoulda took video of it.

Wierded me out though.

Ss

Vladiator

Reaction score
I have the 5652 version. When I rebooted, I got the wrong version error. I switched back to android keyboard, then back to swype and it is working just fine. I guess that's the nature of beta testing. Swype absolutely rocks.

Same for me. Have rebooted a few times just to test it out and as described above, the same thing happens, and the same procedure fixes it. Not going to switch until there is an official update from Swype due to last few posts.

I'm rooted running Sholes 2.05 until I figure what I want to upgrade to next if that makes any difference.

Flomaster

Premium Member
Premium Member
Reaction score

SS
You would have the first virus EVER confirmed on Android. I doubt it :)

Seriously though...downloaded and installed the swype apk that holmes linked to. Installed and it worked flawlessly. Rebooted to make sure.

The boot animation had changed. It was a skull with its head bent back and smoke coming out of its mouth...then a skull with mouth opening until bootup.

Went to home and it locked up.

Rebooted and it happened two boots in a row (without locking up home again though) restored immediately...I shoulda took video of it.

Wierded me out though.

Ss
thats from Droid Root Pro or Droid Root Help you pressed the boot animation button and it changed it for you. I mistakenly did the same thing. it was cool for 1 reboot. but got OLD really fast. search for bootanimation there is a thread with other boot animations you can load. its pretty damn easy too.

this site has boot animations as well
Boot Animations - Droidboots

-=Jason=-

Flomaster

Premium Member
Premium Member
Reaction score
Sounds awesome. Gonna have to check it out lol. Are those in the market, our found elsewhere?
not on the market. but you can download them and save them as bootanimation.zip and push them to /data/local/bootanimation.zip

Root Explorer is quick and easy way of doing it.

-=Jason=-

Technoman

Reaction score
If you have downloaded and installed the new beta from Swype and you are having the "wrong version, limited functionality" problem, check the Swype version number. If you have 5652, you have the wrong version. Evidently, the Swype installer is not working properly on all MotoDroids. The correct version is 5612 and is located here.

http://www.droidforums.net/forum/droid-applications/28020-heres-swype-apk.html

Thanks holmes!!

Also, noticed that the "incorrect" 5652 version was using 14MB memory and the "correct" 5612 version uses around 8.5MB.

Question I would have is "How would anyone know that 5652 is the wrong version for Droid and 5612 is the right one"? Did someone from SWYPE post something to that effect?

If this is the case, I am wondering if the installer might be picking up the wrong version due to something we are running on our phones (such as launcher2 that was ported over from the Nexus)? Or one of the Root Mods is messing with the installer if you are rooted!

Just a thought. Is there someone that was stock 2.0.1 that downloaded the installer, and did not encounter the problems on the boot up? If so, what version did they get?

Wachalookn8

Reaction score
Fyi

If you have downloaded and installed the new beta from Swype and you are having the "wrong version, limited functionality" problem, check the Swype version number. If you have 5652, you have the wrong version. Evidently, the Swype installer is not working properly on all MotoDroids. The correct version is 5612 and is located here.

http://www.droidforums.net/forum/droid-applications/28020-heres-swype-apk.html

Thanks holmes!!

Also, noticed that the "incorrect" 5652 version was using 14MB memory and the "correct" 5612 version uses around 8.5MB.

Question I would have is "How would anyone know that 5652 is the wrong version for Droid and 5612 is the right one"? Did someone from SWYPE post something to that effect?

If this is the case, I am wondering if the installer might be picking up the wrong version due to something we are running on our phones (such as launcher2 that was ported over from the Nexus)? Or one of the Root Mods is messing with the installer if you are rooted!

Just a thought. Is there someone that was stock 2.0.1 that downloaded the installer, and did not encounter the problems on the boot up? If so, what version did they get?
Just FYI my Droid is not rooted, not modded in any way, I got the same error message (wrong version) after power off, and this is the beta that came from SwypeInc.com. It would become unresponsive, by that I mean the keyboard would get a luminous blue square around its perimeter, it would bonk, but no text would be entered. Sometimes I got the trick to work (reselect input method) sometimes it took a reboot. Don't know where this updated file comes from... but it works!

jmackxiii

Reaction score
Does anyone still have this APK? I cannot seem to find it anywhere and my copy that i got from Swype stopped working and i have not heard back from their support.

ejbaca03

Reaction score
I too need the .apk file. The link no longer works and SwypeInc has not responded back to my email.