Swype Beta for Android™ - Updated Installer & Application!

jsh1120

Silver Member
Reaction score
I just upgraded to the new version, and it's working great! I'm not rooted, running stock 2.1

Same here. A couple of points for those reading this thread.

() Unless you are already signed up for the existing beta program on the Swype website, you cannot get the new version of the beta. (7625). They did not re-open the beta program for this update. It is available only to those who already are in the program.

() If you are eligible, be sure to follow the directions in your email to a "T." Uninstall BOTH your existing version of Swype AND the Swype Installer app. The latter can be uninstalled only by Filter:All in ManageApps.

() Cannot speak to problems anyone is having with a custom ROM. I'd think, however, that if you were running a legal version of the Swype beta before, you should be able to download the new version.

() Cannot speak to anyone running Froyo 2.2. That might be problematic.

Edit: Someone else has reported that the new version of Swype works fine on Froyo (2.2)

Last edited:

TekHawk

Reaction score
I just upgraded to the new version, and it's working great! I'm not rooted, running stock 2.1

Same here. A couple of points for those reading this thread.

() Unless you are already signed up for the existing beta program on the Swype website, you cannot get the new version of the beta. (7625). They did not re-open the beta program for this update. It is available only to those who already are in the program.

() If you are eligible, be sure to follow the directions in your email to a "T." Uninstall BOTH your existing version of Swype AND the Swype Installer app. The latter can be uninstalled only by Filter:All in ManageApps.

() Cannot speak to problems anyone is having with a custom ROM. I'd think, however, that if you were running a legal version of the Swype beta before, you should be able to download the new version.

() Cannot speak to anyone running Froyo 2.2. That might be problematic.

Edit: Someone else has reported that the new version of Swype works fine on Froyo (2.2)

the new version works amazing on froyo

OP
Corinacakes

Corinacakes

Super Moderator
Theme Developer
Reaction score
Yep I'm on the leaked froyo as well.

tyronelaw

Reaction score
Followed all the direction for installation, i'm getting the message: "The swype package you have instlled is configured for another device and will operate with limited functionality."

It also says to contact swype about the issue. Sending them an email now. (this took forever to type w/out swype btw)

J*Bishop

Reaction score
i'm signed up for the beta progam but i haven't recieved an email. bboooo

jsh1120

Silver Member
Reaction score

Could be, of course, that they are sending out emails in batches to prevent their servers from being slammed. But if you don't receive an email in the next day or so I suggest you send them an email to inquire.

J*Bishop

Reaction score

Could be, of course, that they are sending out emails in batches to prevent their servers from being slammed. But if you don't receive an email in the next day or so I suggest you send them an email to inquire.

hopefully that's the case.

bradgsanford

Reaction score
Mine gave me the same error message about being configured for another device. I deleted, reinstalled, and it works like a charm.

christim

Super Moderator
Rescue Squad
Reaction score
  • Uninstalled Swype, nothing else as the first installer was no longer on my phone
  • First install attempt it said I was not on an Android phone.
  • Second pass I used the default browser, instead of Dolphin, and it said my screen size wasn't supported.
  • Uninstalled the new installer and tried once more and the third time did the trick.

So far, so good. Thanks for the head's up, the email was waiting for me and had arrived around half past noon.

smoked glass 6.0 1.1ghz rooted rom - Swype 7625 functional.

Leonius

Reaction score
Maybe I'm blind, but I'm not seeing the link to download the .apk for this? Also could anyone PM me a link to the old swype that works? My old one bottomed out and said it was over :/

Jameshpatterson

Reaction score
Re: Swype Beta for Android™ - Updated Installer & Application!

Thanks for the heads up! My swype stopped working and I hadn't got the email yet. Swype ing again like a champ with froyo!

Sent from my Droid using Tapatalk