Swype Android Beta!!

meaker

Reaction score
I had the beta version (5652) when they started but it acted up when I powered down my phone so I installed the (5612) version back then.. it's been working well until last week when i had the "Unable to EnglishUS"?(don't remember what it said) so I just un-installed and reinstalled it.. So far so good.

Drider

Reaction score
soo. i have an old file installed and for some reason every time i change to and from landscape mode a message pops up saying that the package i installed does not match the screen size of the device. also it doesn't seem to work in landscape mode. any ideas? thanks.

I just downloaded the link a few posts back, and I too have the same described problem.

Does anyone have a solution?

Using the 5612 Build.

-D

Last edited:

metsnfins

Reaction score
i wish the swype keyboard had a microphone icon like the new standard droid keyboard

cause when i want to voice to text on a webpage now, i have to switch keyboards

OP
JonKyu

JonKyu

Silver Member
Reaction score
i wish the swype keyboard had a microphone icon like the new standard droid keyboard

Ugh you said it, about the voice button :(

OP
JonKyu

JonKyu

Silver Member
Reaction score

gszeman

Reaction score
Just an FYI...if you are having issues with Swype working, go back in and reenable the android keyboard, exit out of settings, then go back into settings and enable Swype again. It should work, It worked fine for me and I'm loving it :)

yoopermjm

Reaction score
I love Swype. However the only thing that it is missing for me is the voice to text input button like I have on the 2.1 keyboard and HTC Keyboards. I like to use that at times. If it had that it would be complete IMO.

You can voice to text by pressing the settings button while on the virtual keyboard... brings up a "speak" option.

Can you explain this? I can't find a settings button while on the virtual keyboard. Where is it?
Thanks--

jsh1120

Silver Member
Reaction score
I love Swype. However the only thing that it is missing for me is the voice to text input button like I have on the 2.1 keyboard and HTC Keyboards. I like to use that at times. If it had that it would be complete IMO.

You can voice to text by pressing the settings button while on the virtual keyboard... brings up a "speak" option.

Can you explain this? I can't find a settings button while on the virtual keyboard. Where is it?
Thanks--

Unfortunately, as far as I know, the poster's recommendation does not apply to the Swype keyboard.

christim

Super Moderator
Rescue Squad
Reaction score

That request has been a very popular one on the Swype forum.

Any summary you can share on the current state of affairs at Swype from your perspective? Is there talk of a paid version being released to the market? More features? Expiration of the beta and us being locked out at some point?

thanks

jsh1120

Silver Member
Reaction score

That request has been a very popular one on the Swype forum.

Any summary you can share on the current state of affairs at Swype from your perspective? Is there talk of a paid version being released to the market? More features? Expiration of the beta and us being locked out at some point?

thanks

Sorry to disappoint but the Swype beta forum is largely a one-way flow. Lots of requests and very little other than standard boilerplate responses from the Swype folks. That's not surprising, of course. Swype has traditionally been rather close-mouthed about their development plans.

Among the most popular topics are (of course), "Where can I buy it?"; "Why can't I buy it?," "When can I buy it?"; "Why are you so selfish that you won't let me buy it?"; etc. etc. etc.

The Swype folks are sticking to their story. The want their app to be "integrated" with particular phones so it can take advantage of unique features of each phone and not be treated as a "foreign" application.

Of course, they don't mention that such an approach offloads much of the support burden onto phone manufacturers or carriers and provides Swype with a payment for each phone sold, not just to those consumers who elect to purchase it separately.

There are hints, however, that some method of supporting a variety of Android phones is "in the works." For one thing, Swype has signed a contract with T-Mobile to support a range of their phones. And since some of those phones are Android devices, it more or less opens a door that's difficult to shut.

Furthermore, Swype is well aware of the market demand from Android (mainly Droid) owners. The second most requested feature (behind "let me buy it") is support for voice to text entry.

I have no idea how large the beta population is. (And Swype ain't sayin') But I strongly suspect that they won't leave a large group of Droid beta users in the lurch when the beta program ends. Whether that means a special deal for beta testers or a more open market for the app, I have no idea. But I gotta think they understand that supporting some users and dissing others is not a smart strategy.

Personally, I have a feeling that Swype will integrate the voice to text feature as soon as they can. Their app depends to some extent on its novelty. And now that speech to text is out there, Swype is no longer the most novel input entry approach. We're still a long way from simply talking to your phone as dictation, but with improved technology that will come about relatively quickly. For Swype to ignore that is commercial suicide.

crtnyrcc

Reaction score
okay, so let me get this straight.

because I just got my Droid a month ago, I missed the swype boat?

gszeman

Reaction score
No, just look back a few posts...on the last page I think...there is a link to download it. Install the app, activate the swype keyboard...if it doesn't work, reapply the android keyboard, then go back in and reselect the swype keyboard... It should work...im using it now...love it.

Glenn

Sent from my Droid using Tapatalk

crtnyrcc

Reaction score
No, just look back a few posts...on the last page I think...there is a link to download it. Install the app, activate the swype keyboard...if it doesn't work, reapply the android keyboard, then go back in and reselect the swype keyboard... It should work...im using it now...love it.

Glenn

Sent from my Droid using Tapatalk

are you talking about the apk file thing?
I have no idea how to get that on my phone. I downloaded it to my computer thinking I could just drag it over to my phone but I can't locate it on my phone. then I tried to download it from my phone and it says I don't have enough space.

ugh. help.