Swype is coming to Android!!!

Martin030908

Super Moderator
Reaction score
T-Mobile exclusively for now unfortunately.

I'm a bad boy. Close this thread :(

First Android device being shipped with Swype pre-installed on T-Mobile.
Here's an article mentioning Swype being OEM on a launched device. :)
New version of the myTouch 3G now listed on T-Mobile's Web site | Android Central

Appears T-Mobile may be partnered.... T-Mobile Partners With Swype, Will Be Featured on Several Touchscreens Unwired View

Swype is going OEM, not just Android... but Android is part of it.
Swype Coming to More Phones, More Platforms (Phone Scoop)

Swype keyboard coming to Android in 2010 – Android and Me (older article.... as I did overlook the time stamp, and someone did point out :))

So it appears it's a T-Mobile exclusive for now. Sorry for any confusion. And thanks R1Lover for clarifying.

Last edited:

natediddy1120

Silver Member
Reaction score
Oh this awesome!! :icon_ banana:

Finally REAL Swype!!!! The one we got now is pretty good actually, but to have a real Android version is pretty sweet news!!

Thanks Martin! :)

christim

Super Moderator
Rescue Squad
Reaction score
I've had it on my phone as my default keyboard for what seems like a long time. I have no issues with it so it will be interesting to see what their "ready for release" version will be like.

R1Lover

Reaction score
Did you actually read those links? It says nothing about swype officially coming to the droid... Sywpe has been on the omnia II for a while now, and it's going to be on a my touch 3g too. All it says is sywpe will be on a new android phone in 2010. lol

But this has nothing to do with the Droid. Sorry but false news is bad imo... lol

Last edited:
OP
Martin030908

Martin030908

Super Moderator
Reaction score
Did you actually read those links? It says nothing about swype offically coming to the droid... Sywpe has been on the omnia for a while now, and it's going to be on a sprint phone too.

But this has nothing to do with the Droid. Sorry but false news is bad imo... lol
Did you read the links?

TechCrunch is reporting that Swype will be coming to Android in 2010. Swype was created by the inventor of the T9 predictive typing system used on most feature phones today (but sorely missing from the default Android soft keyboard).

Take up your gripe with Techcrunch not me.

OP
Martin030908

Martin030908

Super Moderator
Reaction score
Did you actually read those links? It says nothing about swype officially coming to the droid... Sywpe has been on the omnia II for a while now, and it's going to be on a sprint phone too. All it says is sywpe will be on a new android phone in 2010. lol

I edited the title and first post to try and make it less 'concrete'.
Better? :)

R1Lover

Reaction score
Did you actually read those links? It says nothing about swype offically coming to the droid... Sywpe has been on the omnia for a while now, and it's going to be on a sprint phone too.

Did you read the links?

TechCrunch is reporting that Swype will be coming to Android in 2010. Swype was created by the inventor of the T9 predictive typing system used on most feature phones today (but sorely missing from the default Android soft keyboard).

Yes I did, read the tech crunch link please (that is also dated november of 2009). :) Sorry I'm just not a fan of spreading false information... it goes so fast and so far these days.

M

Matth3w

I don't see really any positive news from there, no more than I see that Java VM people saying they are going to improve speed with their VM. For all we know Swype sold their product to OEM distribution of new phones.

OP
Martin030908

Martin030908

Super Moderator
Reaction score

Did you read the links?

Yes I did, read the tech crunch link please (that is also dated november of 2009). :) Sorry I'm just not a fan of spreading false information... it goes so fast and so far these days.
I added some more, you can apologize after reading. Merely stating it's coming OEM to Android. Not saying other platforms won't have it.

** came off kind of d*ckish myself here. Wanted to apologize R1.

Last edited:
OP
Martin030908

Martin030908

Super Moderator
Reaction score
The thread was created to point out that an Android device is in fact shipping with Swype OEM.

I provided an update to the first post to substantiate that claim. Sorry for any confusion.

R1Lover

Reaction score
Here is the official press release concerning this if anyone is interested.

February 10, 2010
Seattle, WA – Swype, an innovative text input technology, and T-Mobile USA, Inc. today announced the integration of Swype’s intuitive text input solution into T-Mobile touch screen devices, starting with the new version of the popular T-Mobile myTouch 3G, the company’s latest Android-powered device, which is available beginning today. T-Mobile also plans to integrate Swype into a number of future devices including the HTC HD2, an upcoming Windows Mobile® Phone from T-Mobile, which is expected to be available this spring.

"T-Mobile has always been on the forefront of introducing new devices and ground breaking technologies and now has embraced Swype’s stunningly responsive text input for its touch screen lineup," said Mike McSherry, CEO, Swype. "Launching on the Android platform is a major milestone for Swype as we continue to expand to new touch screen devices and platforms."
George Harrison, vice president, marketing product innovation, T-Mobile USA said, "Consumers have been vocal in their demand for a more intuitive and efficient way to use a virtual keyboard on touch screen devices. As T-Mobile continues to drive innovation for the benefit of our customers, the addition of Swype to T-Mobile products places our customers at the forefront of this new solution."

Swype’s software allows for a high degree of error tolerance and provides a faster and more intuitive way to input text on touch screens. The touch screen market for mobile phones continues to grow rapidly in the US and Swype is poised to revolutionize this space with its ease of use and intuitive technology across multiple platforms.

Swype is designed to work across a variety of operating systems and devices such as phones, tablets, game consoles, televisions, and GPS units among others. Its impressive multi-lingual vocabulary currently supports over 30 languages and Swype’s adaptive function allows it to learn new words, phone numbers and more data unique to its owner.

myTouch is a registered trademark of T-Mobile USA. Google and Android are trademarks of Google Inc. All other company and product names may be trademarks of the companies with which they are associated.

M

Matth3w

TMobile...MEH

Actually this is probably BAD news for Droid owners. If Swype got OEM contracts from TMobile/HTC you will most likely NEVER see an app come out or have it come on a Moto/VZW device. A bummer considering Shapewriter is crap since the last update (which hopefully they plan to fix).

Just my take on it.

M

Matth3w

The thread was created to point out that an Android device is in fact shipping with Swype OEM.

I provided an update to the first post to substantiate that claim. Sorry for any confusion.
To the gallows with you. :icon_ devil: