Trouble Uninstalling Swype Trial Version

Danthok

Reaction score
Hello my name is Danthok and I have a problem. I am addicted to swype, there I said it! Please help me with my current dilemma.

I installed the trial version of swype that came out back in December. It recently told me my trial was expired and will not let me swype anymore, only tap letters. I downloaded the .apk of the beta that Holmes posted and was going to install it but my trial version of Swype will not uninstall. I go into Astro to the .apk that I originally installed from and "open app manager" then touch uninstall. It then comes up with a screen saying "Uninstall not successful". I have tried the following steps to solve this:

1. Disable swype keyboard through settings, reset phone and try to uninstall again. Does not work.
  2. Install swype beta as an update to trial version. Does not work, the keyboard will not even come up for tapping.
My droid is currently rooted running SG 6.0. If anyone has any suggestions, I would appreciate them.

Corinacakes

Super Moderator
Theme Developer
Reaction score
Well no matter how many times i tried to install it from the swype website i ended up doing a complete factory reset then install the apk with astro from this link http://www.droidforums.net/forum/droid-applications/28020-heres-swype-apk.html

before i did that anytime i restarted my droid i had to go mess with making swype work again.

just make sure you backup all your apps and do NOT reinstall the swype app through the backup.

i understand your pain becuz i'm a swype/droid addict myself :D

good luck

jsh1120

Silver Member
Reaction score
Hello my name is Danthok and I have a problem. I am addicted to swype, there I said it! Please help me with my current dilemma.

I installed the trial version of swype that came out back in December. It recently told me my trial was expired and will not let me swype anymore, only tap letters. I downloaded the .apk of the beta that Holmes posted and was going to install it but my trial version of Swype will not uninstall. I go into Astro to the .apk that I originally installed from and "open app manager" then touch uninstall. It then comes up with a screen saying "Uninstall not successful". I have tried the following steps to solve this:

1. Disable swype keyboard through settings, reset phone and try to uninstall again. Does not work.
  2. Install swype beta as an update to trial version. Does not work, the keyboard will not even come up for tapping.
My droid is currently rooted running SG 6.0. If anyone has any suggestions, I would appreciate them.

May not help you, but try this. Settings>Applications>Manage Applications>Menu>Filter ALL.

Then uninstall both Swype and the installer app.

If that still doesn't work or you can't find the installer. Use Astro to search your entire SD card for files that have the word "Swype" in their names. Get rid of them all and then try to install from the apk again.

Since you're rooted and running a non-stock kernel none of these approaches is guaranteed to work.