stupid, stupid question

Droyd

Reaction score
How can I keep an app open like weatherbug, and open another say like handcent or calendar, without having to close weatherbug out ? Does this make sense? Toggle between apps without actually closing one out before opening another.

Backnblack

Premium Member
Premium Member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
iPhone 7+ 256gb
Long Press on the home key will allow you to switch between apps

dclutter1

Reaction score
A shortpress of the home button and then opening another app as usual won't close the previous app. The system will close it when memory is needed. You may have to do it that way because the long press only shows the last 6 apps that you opened.

Sent from my Droid using Tapatalk

takeshi

Silver Member
Reaction score
You're probably not closing them to begin with. Unless an app has an explicit exit you're not actually closing the app.

Taegost

Reaction score
You're probably not closing them to begin with. Unless an app has an explicit exit you're not actually closing the app.

Some apps do close automatically when you switch away though, like Tapatalk. WHich, thankfully, has gotten a lot better with the last patch, it doesn't close itself *every* time you switch away now :)
But yeah, the best way to do it for an app you haven't opened recently is to tap Home and open it up. If it's one of the last 6 apps that you've opened, long-pressing on Home will bring up a list of recent programs you can quickly switch to.
Oh, and BTW, it's not really a stupid question. It took me almost 2 weeks of reading this forum and Android Central before I found out about that long-press thing. Some of the options aren't very intuitive if you're used to a Windows environment like I am (Both desktop and mobile). But once you see it, it's pretty simple.

Backnblack

Premium Member
Premium Member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
iPhone 7+ 256gb
A shortpress of the home button and then opening another app as usual won't close the previous app. The system will close it when memory is needed. You may have to do it that way because the long press only shows the last 6 apps that you opened.

Sent from my Droid using Tapatalk

Short press just takes you to the home screen...Long press will bring up a list of the last 6 or 8 apps you have opened.