Programs still running in the background?

bbohannon

Reaction score
I am constantly having to open my taskiller and killing up to 10+ apps at a time. Once I kill all running programs, I can pull up my taskiller immediately after only to find another running list of 10+ programs that are mysteriously running and taking up my memory. Programs like voice dialer, alarm clock, corporate calendar, settings, etc will be running in the background without me ever opening them. Also, I use handcent sms only but the factory Messaging app runs in the background as well. I obviously do not want to run both apps.

Where do I adjust this? I can kill all these apps to have 100M of free memory, but would rather not do it every single time I turn on my droid.

Thanks!

OP
B

bbohannon

Reaction score

Interesting. Not sure how I missed that thread, I did a lot of searching. Let me ask you this so I don't have to go through the 17 pages.

How do these random apps get brought up in my running programs in the background? Stuff like corporate calendar and alarm clock that I absolutely never use end up in the running programs list all by them self.

Also, how does this not take up memory? My Taskiller specifically shows that with all these random apps running I have around 40-45M available memory. When I clear all the ones not in use I have right around 100M.

Mojo

Reaction score
bbohannon,

Let me answer your question with a question... why do you feel it is needed to have 100MB of application memory? The way Android works is un like that of a blackberry or other device. Android will free up resources on its own when it needs it. I have around 50 some apps installed on my device and do not suffer from device lag due to lack of memory. It is okay to let those apps run. I do not have a task killer app because it is not needed.

OP
B

bbohannon

Reaction score
I am coming from a BB storm so I guess that's why I'm over-concerned about running apps. I am reading through this thread and still do not understand why these random apps end up in my running apps list. Why should I have the corporate calendar and multiple messaging programs up and running?

I have only had the phone for 2 days and I can already tell that it does not run as fast as it first did.

Mojo

Reaction score
Ah... that was my guess that you came from a BlackBerry. You will adjust your thinking of having to clear/free up memory soon.

Anyways I would only be guessing as to why these apps run in the background. I would assume that since they are part of the core functions (meaning that they have to do with messeging, scheduling etc..) that they have to be running so they are ready to work when they are needed. Personly I wish we could just delete them if we did not need to use them. But again it is okay that they are running. Also there is more to your device not being quite as fast as when you first got your device. Since then I am sure you have added contacts, received messages, and downloaded apps. All of that will play into it not running quite as fast ;)

OP
B

bbohannon

Reaction score
Ah... that was my guess that you came from a BlackBerry. You will adjust your thinking of having to clear/free up memory soon.

Anyways I would only be guessing as to why these apps run in the background. I would assume that since they are part of the core functions (meaning that they have to do with messeging, scheduling etc..) that they have to be running so they are ready to work when they are needed. Personly I wish we could just delete them if we did not need to use them. But again it is okay that they are running. Also there is more to your device not being quite as fast as when you first got your device. Since then I am sure you have added contacts, received messages, and downloaded apps. All of that will play into it not running quite as fast ;)

I read a very detailed post by andjarnic and now get the jist of the linux based system and how it works. Taskiller has now been removed ;)

I guess I should be asking, how do I keep my droid from performing as well as it should? Maybe I need to be doing some more searching

jstafford1

Super Moderator
Rescue Squad
Reaction score
Twitter
jstaff79
Maybe you should look in settings: applications: running services and see if there's anything there you don't want running all the time. I shut down google talk because I never use it,but maybe you have more that you don't want running.

BasiDROID

Reaction score
not so sure about not using task killer

:motdroidhoriz::icon_eek:I've had my droid for two weeks now nd all I can say is that when I don't have my task-killer to close my apps I noticed that my battery wasn't lasting more than 5 hours once I got my task killer installed on my phone again the phone lasted a whole day without having to charge it. Also, the phone seemed to work faster than normal when tasks where terminated instead of just leaving them running. My droid also froze about 3 times during a single day without the task killer and once again I thought it was strange that the MOTODROID one of the most powerful phones did not show any of the APPS on any of my home screens so I had to reset my phone every single time my home screens went blank. I would like to kno why is this happening to my phone? Should I go to the store and replace it? Btw I'm running the original OS 2.0.1
Does anyone knows why in the world would this be happening to my phone. :greendroid:

BayouFlyFisher

Rescue Squad
Rescue Squad
Reaction score
:motdroidhoriz::icon_eek:I've had my droid for two weeks now nd all I can say is that when I don't have my task-killer to close my apps I noticed that my battery wasn't lasting more than 5 hours once I got my task killer installed on my phone again the phone lasted a whole day without having to charge it. Also, the phone seemed to work faster than normal when tasks where terminated instead of just leaving them running. My droid also froze about 3 times during a single day without the task killer and once again I thought it was strange that the MOTODROID one of the most powerful phones did not show any of the APPS on any of my home screens so I had to reset my phone every single time my home screens went blank. I would like to kno why is this happening to my phone? Should I go to the store and replace it? Btw I'm running the original OS 2.0.1
Does anyone knows why in the world would this be happening to my phone. :greendroid:
There's an old country saying, "Just because lunch comes after breakfast, does not mean that breakfast causes lunch." Task Killer is not helping your phone. Read any of the threads about battery issues on this forum and you will find that it has to do with settings of various apps. Frankly, I don't remember all the good stuff in those threads, but I know that when I started reading them my battery was only lasting 6-8 hours and now it is good for 16 hours. App killers do not help. Android will stop anything it needs to in order to have the resources it needs.

cgalbraith

Reaction score
I am constantly having to open my taskiller and killing up to 10+ apps at a time. Once I kill all running programs, I can pull up my taskiller immediately after only to find another running list of 10+ programs that are mysteriously running and taking up my memory. Programs like voice dialer, alarm clock, corporate calendar, settings, etc will be running in the background without me ever opening them. Also, I use handcent sms only but the factory Messaging app runs in the background as well. I obviously do not want to run both apps.

Where do I adjust this? I can kill all these apps to have 100M of free memory, but would rather not do it every single time I turn on my droid.

Thanks!

Go to Market Place and install Automatic Task Killer (free version), set it up and don't worry about it anymore. The app shuts down all "marked" apps when the screen shuts off. You'll get a pop-up each time you turn the phone on indicating how much memory was released.
If you don't either close the apps manually as you've been doing or doing the same this way (automatically), the price will be increasingly slower performance and shorter battery life.

BayouFlyFisher

Rescue Squad
Rescue Squad
Reaction score

Thanks!

Go to Market Place and install Automatic Task Killer (free version), set it up and don't worry about it anymore. The app shuts down all "marked" apps when the screen shuts off. You'll get a pop-up each time you turn the phone on indicating how much memory was released.
If you don't either close the apps manually as you've been doing or doing the same this way (automatically), the price will be increasingly slower performance and shorter battery life.

When I first got my Droid, I thought the same thing. But that was because I was brainwashed by decades of using Windows. The android system does not operate like that. It will automatically shutdown anything it needs to in order to have the resources it needs. Dormant programs do not hurt performance, unless they are something that has to access resources frequently. If something has to update from the web frequently that will cause a drain, but otherwise don't worry about it and don't use an app killer.

I deleted Advanced App Killer (it was put on the phone by the sales guy at Verizon) over a month ago and my Droid is just as fast as when it was new.

BasiDROID

Reaction score
Thank you BayouFlyFisher my phone actually has a decent battery life now without the task killer. Which i found weird because of what i had told you before. But anyways now that i have my battery life on the good side...i think it sucks that i cant send files through Bluetooth to other cellphone "/

dylanthecat

Reaction score
I am almost exactly the same as BayouFlyFisher. Used a task killer for a few weeks and spent most of my time chasing and killing apps. Since then (11-20-09), i have not killed and app. My phone runs smooth, fast, and nice battery like. About 70-80% when I put it to bed at the end of the day. I have WIFI and GPS always on. WiFI is connected at work and at home, so using 3G only a few hours a day.