Stuck on 1X? How to get 3G back

pwowell

Reaction score
As most are aware both the LTE network and eHPRD are down (a special version of 3G for the Thunderbolt only). To get 3G data back you just need to change your settings back to the normal 3G network. Here are the steps:

Dial ##778# and hit send

A pop-up window named EPST will show up giving you 2 choices: View Mode and Edit Mode. Pick: Edit Mode.
Enter the Password: 000000
Go down to Modem Settings and pick “Rev A“
You’ll want to choose enable and click OK, hit the menu button and then press “Commit Modifications.”
Restart your phone and you should see 3G is working

Then you can use either the Phone Info or LTE OnOff app to set the preferred network type to CDMA auto (PRL) to maintain a steady 3G connection, i.e. to keep the phone from cycling through its options and thereby temporarily dropping the connection. And once the LTE network is back online, you can set it back to CDMA + LTE/EvDo auto.

I'm not sure the benefit of eHPRD, so I'm not sure why I'd want to turn it back on ever again.

I did these two steps and got 3G back. Thanks all!

I think someone mentioned this already. Since I don't live in an area with 4G do you think I can activate eHPRD when its back up again and just leave it in CDMA auto (PRL) to maintain it? Then whenever I am in a 4G area I can go back to Phone Info and switch to CDMA + LTE/EvDo auto and connect to 4G...would this work?

Not necessary to change back to eHRPD. See my previous post. 4G works fine still with rev a selected.

Sent from my Thunderbolt

Actually there is a point to eHRPD, if u want to use simultaneous voice and data then that is the optimized network that allows for it. Also I believe that it switches to 4G and back faster than the regular 3g network.

blitzburgh39

Reaction score
oh i got it back in pittsburgh.... but my battery is butt... had it off from 830 to 1015 and then on from then til 130 and i had 59% left. thats crap for me. i usually get 12-14 hours of actually ON use... it said it was searching for signal 81% of the time... even though i know that number is a little sketchy...

cruiseMain

Reaction score
Cruisemain the other test would try that ##778# edit mode, 000000 for password modem settings rev A change to enable hit menu button at bottom to confirm, reboot see if 3g shows

Sent from my ADR6400L using DroidForums

Sweet thanks! just did that. Getting 4G for the first time holy crap its fast lol

5280TBOLT

Reaction score

I think someone mentioned this already. Since I don't live in an area with 4G do you think I can activate eHPRD when its back up again and just leave it in CDMA auto (PRL) to maintain it? Then whenever I am in a 4G area I can go back to Phone Info and switch to CDMA + LTE/EvDo auto and connect to 4G...would this work?

Not necessary to change back to eHRPD. See my previous post. 4G works fine still with rev a selected.

Sent from my Thunderbolt

Actually there is a point to eHRPD, if u want to use simultaneous voice and data then that is the optimized network that allows for it. Also I believe that it switches to 4G and back faster than the regular 3g network.

I switched back to eHRPD once it was back and it seems to be working fine.

blitzburgh39

Reaction score
I have a constant up arrow with the 4g. it burns the battery. it went from 60% to 29 just now within an hour of no use at all. then i rebooted and the battery went from 29 to 14. wtf.

MadScientist

Reaction score

Sent from my Thunderbolt

I didn't mean it isn't beneficial. I stated "it isn't necessary" in order to use 4G or simultaneous voice and data. And with the issues going on with eHRPD I don't see any drive to switch back at this time.

Sent from my Thunderbolt

Viper Daimao

Reaction score
I haven't been able to get it back on eHRPD. I change it in the settings but when I go to phone info to switch between 4G and 3G it still says rev.A for 3G.

DroidStang

Reaction score
Make sure after changing settings you hit menu button at bottom and confirm

Droidella

Reaction score
Having this problem on my Droid X. Apparently when Verizon's 4G went down, they did something to screw up the 3G (they basically told me this when I talked to someone there). I just wish they'd fix it! I can't do the ##778# trick either, because when I dial ##778# I get a Verizon recording saying the call cannot be completed as dialed. ??? So how are you guys doing this trick?