stock wireless tether vs ROOT wireless tether

gpigate

Reaction score
i have 1 more day to decide if I am taking this back. I tried using the stock tether and it was no good. Constantly bouncing and reconnecting etc.

for those of you that have rooted, have you seen an improvement with aftermarket wireless tether?

I had a rooted D1 and loved the wireless on it. i dont care if there is a wire or not really, just a consistent connection. I need to know if I do keep it that tethering is still an option and its not a phone issue.

also I have seen the chatter about the database and the problems with verizon locking it down etc. can someone give me the real low down on what the deal is or is it all just hype right now?

drew

Reaction score
Right now, everything is rumor and conspiracy theory. I haven't seen any official announcement from Verizon like we've seen with AT&T regarding tethering. Rooting does violate your TOS, but you're probably aware of that already. I wouldn't be shocked if VZW has always been tracking who is rooting phones from the beginning or doing deep packet / MIME header inspection to figure out who is tethering.

From what I understand, Wireless Tether (if you are rooted - the same app that worked so awesome on my rooted D1) works great on the TBOLT. Lots of threads about that. I'm still using the Mobile Hotspot and haven't noticed any issues in my 4G area.

Aethyr

Reaction score
gpigate,

I've had constant problems with disconnects across a variety of devices tethered to my Thunderbolt since I picked one up at launch. In all my testing, I couldn't definitively say it was my phone, my area, or the hotspot software. Finally, to try and narrow it down, I rooted and tried wireless tether for root users yesterday. I'm pleased to say it doesn't suffer from the same data disconnect issues that invariably hit me 10 to 15 minutes into use with the stock hotspot app. I too got the phone primarily to use as a Hotspot and am very pleased. The only drawback seems to be slightly higher pings, perhaps 10 ms higher on average.

Sent from my ADR6400L using Tapatalk

OP
G

gpigate

Reaction score
so stock tether was problematic for you as well and rooting was much better? just trying to make sure I understand 100%. I dont have issues rooting this thing, but if the tether is shotty even rooted, then its going back

Aethyr

Reaction score
That's right, I've been constantly wrestling with the issue as reported here, at Phandroid, ac, xda, vzw's forums, etc. Rooting was my last gasp attempt at fixing the issue. My theory now is that there's some issues with the stock app that affects certain users but not others.

Sent from my ADR6400L using Tapatalk

OP
G

gpigate

Reaction score
thanks for the info. i am familiar with rooting the droid. can you point me in the direction of any threads/info you used to root / install the new rom?

jimmiem

Reaction score
Wireless Tether for Root Users has been rock solid for me. I used to have all sorts of problems getting and staying connected on my Droid OG but tethering on the Thunderbolt is flawless.

I haven't even tried the stock hotspot app.

Hateslinger

Reaction score
I used my wireless tether for about 3rd hours today. I have no issues and only get disconnected when I make or receive calls. I average about 5mpbs download and about 1mpbs upload.

Sent from my rooted Thunderbolt, Das BAMF

OP
G

gpigate

Reaction score
I used my wireless tether for about 3rd hours today. I have no issues and only get disconnected when I make or receive calls. I average about 5mpbs download and about 1mpbs upload.

stock or other?

Hateslinger

Reaction score
I used the rooted application free tether wifi.

Hateslinger

Reaction score
I should also mention my battery got to 107 degrees Fahrenheit. It was at 103. I plugged it in to the usb for charging and the got really hot. After that I called it a day.

stonedoubt

Reaction score

I am on the phone right now (on hold). I am connected via wireless tether... not sure why you would get disconnected. :icon_eek:

Jaxidian

Team FreeMyMoto
Premium Member
Developer
Reaction score
Website
www.jaxidian.org

I am on the phone right now (on hold). I am connected via wireless tether... not sure why you would get disconnected. :icon_eek:

Voice + data isn't perfect in 3g areas. It's pretty good but not perfect. So that could be the reason why.

Sent from my ADR6400L using DroidForums