Free Non-root Tethering

J0SH44

Reaction score
New to the Android OS and smartphones in general. My wife has just purchased the TB and i am pretty interested in tethering. I don't want to try to root her phone, I just want to keep her phone as simple as possible. I have tried out the mobile hotspot that comes with the phone and was pretty impressed with how well it worked, but as everyone knows after May 15 it will cost 20/month for only 2GB of data. Is there an app out there that will allow me to wireless tether without rooting the phone and paying the 20/month (a one time fee for the app is fine)? If there isn't a wireless tether option that won't charge me per month and limit my data transfer amount, then is there a USB tether option? Obviously the wireless would be more convienent but the main thing here is I don't want to root this phone or increase my monthly bill. Any info would be appreciated.
thanks

acles003

Reaction score
For Free USB option, click this link to appbrain.

PdaNet
by June Fabrics Technology Inc.
>250,000 downloads, 42643 ratings (4.5 avg)
Free
rating9.png

OP
J

J0SH44

Reaction score
Are any of these apps wireless or are they USB?
Would love a wireless option so I can use a tablet too but at least USB wOuld allow me to use my laptop

xeene

Gold Member
Reaction score
pdanet works over bluetooth if your pc has it, i've yet to test it though as i use easy tether instead.

Hateslinger

Reaction score
Why not just root?

Sent from Verizon in Phoenix, AZ, running a rooted Thunderbolt, with Lightning Rom v3.3.1 / Minimalistic Extreme Kernel

OP
J

J0SH44

Reaction score
So to have funtionality like the mobile hotspot feature I would need to root the phone? I was hoping for something like that but I suppose I could do the USB or Bluetooth connection at least with my laptop--poor tablet will just be left out then.

chadwick108

Reaction score
Have also used and had good luck on pdanet and rooting with motor droid for tethering one of the reasons I rooted have not used PDA net on android but on windows mobile device

Sent from my Xoom using DroidForums

OP
J

J0SH44

Reaction score
Wife's phone
I don't want to play 24x7 tech support. She is happy with how it works now I don't want to mess with that I just want some thing that I can turn on to connect my laptop and tablet to the Internet.

bernardino5

Reaction score
I think PDA net would b ur best option there's a free trial when u download it from the market after a certain amount of data being used they block it and ask u if u want to purchase the app, and yea USB or Bluetooth it's pretty cool.

"ThuNd3rB0lT"

bernardino5

Reaction score
For wifi tether u have to b rooted no way around it haven't really looked into the tablets no USB that sucks.

"ThuNd3rB0lT"

rwaustin

Reaction score
On my x I have z4root and barnacle. I am rooted and can connect my I devices through it. Not blinding speed but good in a jam. On big red 3g. Looking at 4g.

Sent from my DROIDX using DroidForums

OP
J

J0SH44

Reaction score
For wifi tether u have to b rooted no way around it haven't really looked into the tablets no USB that sucks.

"ThuNd3rB0lT"

Thanks Bernardino that is the info i was looking for. After reading the forums that is what i thought but wasn't 100% sure and wanted some confirmation. Looks like i will be going with PDA Net or EasyTether and at least get my laptop online when not on wifi at home. In my on LTE the phone gets pretty crazy transfer rates (upload is faster than my home network) so it can be a pretty good option when in LTE that is for sure.

scknoll123

Reaction score
New to the Android OS and smartphones in general. My wife has just purchased the TB and i am pretty interested in tethering. I don't want to try to root her phone, I just want to keep her phone as simple as possible. I have tried out the mobile hotspot that comes with the phone and was pretty impressed with how well it worked, but as everyone knows after May 15 it will cost 20/month for only 2GB of data. Is there an app out there that will allow me to wireless tether without rooting the phone and paying the 20/month (a one time fee for the app is fine)? If there isn't a wireless tether option that won't charge me per month and limit my data transfer amount, then is there a USB tether option? Obviously the wireless would be more convienent but the main thing here is I don't want to root this phone or increase my monthly bill. Any info would be appreciated.
thanks
i am rooted, but i also use pda net for out laptop. it works very well. but rooting is still the way to go if you are planning on using a tab.

greyghost04

Reaction score
Don't we have free wi fi tether till May 15th. Hit the Hotspot icon and it works.