Thunderbolt Tethering - Of All Types

gpigate

Reaction score
So we all know that wireless tethering will be a pay to play service come 5/15 UNLESS you root and install other apps etc.

However there is this option in the phone for a wired tether with stock apps and software.

it appears to require you to install the htc sense app on your machine. I have seen where people are having serious issues with either the sense install or the use of the tether etc.

Can anyone enlighten me on this? Also does anyone have official information about the charges for this type of use? Is it going to be a pay to play service as well? I already have unlimited data, but if the solution is to use wired tether, not have to root etc, and its free, then I am fine with that.

Just trying to see if anyone has gone down this road before I spend 2 hours on the phone with Verizon trying to get an "official" answer. Hell I dont think they even know.

xeene

Gold Member
Reaction score
I spent a few hours yesterday on this. After installing HTC sync I had to find modem drivers for HTC which aren't anywhere on official forums. I did locate them on xda forums and got internet connectoin mode to work. Only problem was that afterwards data on my phone wouldn't turn on and I had to pull the battery. In the end I installed easy tether from market on my phone and my pc and plan on using that instead.

Sent from Tapatalk on Thunderbolt

xeene

Gold Member
Reaction score
you can try them all and see which one works best for you. i personally won't use internet connection mode till htc/verizon fixes the data problem after you disconnect. otherwise it would be the idea way to tether with usb.

Dengraham

Reaction score
Gpigagte,
Will pdanet work as a wireless AND without the need to pay to play??? Seems to be the best way to go??
>> Dennis

xeene

Gold Member
Reaction score
pdanet is $10 if you want to access secure sites and you have to be tethered with usb cord unless you have bluetooth on your pc.

OP
G

gpigate

Reaction score
I'm fine with it needing usb. I used pdanet a TON back when I had palms. What I am more curious about now is whether a "internet connection mode" alternative is going to be frowned upon by vzw. With all the talk about tethering and rooting etc. Does anyone know if "internet connection mode" is going to be free after 5/15?

I was hoping the internet connection mode was supported as a normal service, which would lead me to believe that any USB tether would be as well. I already pay for unlimited data and dont want another 20 bucks on my bill

casesteam

Premium Member
Premium Member
Reaction score
Anyone know what the charge is going to be after May 15?

xeene

Gold Member
Reaction score
I was hoping the internet connection mode was supported as a normal service, which would lead me to believe that any USB tether would be as well.
difference between internet connection mode and "other" usb tethers is that icm disables data on your phone and forwards the service to pc, while "other" usb tethers let you surf the net on both phone and pc.

if i had to take a guess, i'd say that icm will be free of charge. i certainly hope so.

Jumper2501

Reaction score
pdanet is $10 if you want to access secure sites and you have to be tethered with usb cord unless you have bluetooth on your pc.
Have you -- or anyone else -- had success with it? I also used it like crazy back in my Palm days. Bottom line, I'd have no problem paying $10 for an app that would give me tethering, either via USB or bluetooth. I'm not that picky.

Backnblack

Premium Member
Premium Member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
iPhone 7+ 256gb
Have you -- or anyone else -- had success with it? I also used it like crazy back in my Palm days. Bottom line, I'd have no problem paying $10 for an app that would give me tethering, either via USB or bluetooth. I'm not that picky.

PDAnet is free to try for 30 days.
It works fine on the TB.

naknak95

Reaction score
Anyone know what the charge is going to be after May 15?

I just got done chatting with a VZW rep online and she stated it will be $20/month for 2GB.

The tethering on the TB would be nice, but I don't know how long 2gb will last. I'm just going to wait for a one click root comes out like z4root that can remove nand lock without bricking the phone. Then use Wireless Tether for Root Users

NeoSayen

Reaction score
Ok so I want root my thunderbt and I am scared that I might brick it, can anyone help me with the easiest way to root my phone without having to use a computer and don't say Z4 mod, all that did was slow my phone down real bad and nothing worked right.

Please help