Someone Spilled the Beans on Google's Nexus Tablet...Get It?

Arkbird

DF News Team
Premium Member
Reaction score
zUWdo.png

Hehe.. I thought the title was pretty creative. But it seems like Google ran a benchmark with the tablet using Rightware's Powerboard benchmark. Some of the specs given were a Tegra 3 quad core processor running at 1.3GHz, 768x1280 resolution. Judging from these specs and specs that Android Police was able to acquire from Rightware, this seems to be a 7" tablet hence the name "Nexus 7." It is also running Android 4.1 which is thought to be Jelly Bean.

""os": {"android": {
"model": "Nexus 7",
"hardware": "grouper",
"manufacturer": "asus",
"device": "grouper",
"brand": "google",
"display": "XXXXXX-userdebug 4.1 JRN51B 3XXXXX dev-keys",
"version_sdk": "4.1",
"board": "grouper",
"version_code": "1"
}
}"

So what are your thoughts? Does this seem like a potential purchase in the future for you?

We have a sister-site dedicated to the new tab. You can check it out @ Nexus Tablet Forum.

Source: NexusTablets.net via Android Police, Rightware.

Last edited by a moderator:

94lt1

Super Moderator
Staff member
Premium Member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Droid Turbo 2
Nice title lol.... wow jelly bean is already being tested... and we're just starting to get ics. Its amazing how fast these os versions can move. To me at least :)

DROID RAZR MAXXIMIZED!!!! XPARENT BLUE!!!

OP
Arkbird

Arkbird

DF News Team
Premium Member
Reaction score
Yeah. It's actually kind of sad how ICS is still being rolled out but ICS is still around the corner. I guess that's the way the tech world rolls. And if anyone was wondering, I'm not dead, just very busy this summer and in general but I'm still here and I still plan to post news :)

pc747

Rescue Squad
Reaction score
200px-Babyfozzie.jpg

I am grabbing my tomato.

94lt1

Super Moderator
Staff member
Premium Member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Droid Turbo 2
200px-Babyfozzie.jpg

I am grabbing my tomato.

Lol.. at least its not being thrown at me this time :)

DROID RAZR MAXXIMIZED!!!! XPARENT BLUE!!!

swc2001

Reaction score
Well if the Price point is competitive with the Kindle Fire, or the Barnes & Noble Nook.... I would deffinately be interested. If its 275.00 or more, I may go with one of the afore mentioned. I have found that I love the 7" size. Any Bigger and its portability factor goes way down. Dont get me wrong I deffinately think there is a place for the 10" Tablets. It looks cool to me.

nikecar

Reaction score
Well if the Price point is competitive with the Kindle Fire, or the Barnes & Noble Nook.... I would deffinately be interested. If its 275.00 or more, I may go with one of the afore mentioned. I have found that I love the 7" size. Any Bigger and its portability factor goes way down. Dont get me wrong I deffinately think there is a place for the 10" Tablets. It looks cool to me.
+1.

I was told I'm getting a tablet (i buy, and get the money back) in the $250 range. I was debating a refurbished Acer Iconia a500 10.1" for $280 or the Samsung Galaxy Tab 2 7.0 for $250. I like the bigger screen but I know my family (kids) will jack it from me, which is ok, they can use it during schooling (homeschooling) and the 7" is better for their hands and portability.

then I heard a few weeks ago about the new Quad Asus coming out and if as this looks, real, and maintains that <$250 price, I'm nabbing that one instead.

The news article failed to display the Basemark ES 2.0 Taiji score which the average score given was 18. was listed performance wise of 4/5 stars.

How does that compare to other tablets? anyone know?

akhenax

Silver Member
Reaction score
I'm interested to know what Jelly Bean will look like, given that seeing the many iterations of Android evolve, ICS seems so polished and darn near perfect for my use.

kodiak799

Gold Member
Reaction score
I don't know...if you've got an almost 5" phone (4.5" or 4.7", whatever), then a 7" tablet really does seem kind of in no-man's land.

AuxiliaryPie

Reaction score
I don't know...if you've got an almost 5" phone (4.5" or 4.7", whatever), then a 7" tablet really does seem kind of in no-man's land.

i thought that too (have a Gnex and had DX, so im used to big screen phones) but after playing with my moms kindle fire, 7" is beautiful and i didnt want to use my laptop for web browsing anymore.

that said im definitely getting my self one of these and maybe one for my gf as a grad present..a tab could be useful in college

nikecar

Reaction score
I'm interested to know what Jelly Bean will look like, given that seeing the many iterations of Android evolve, ICS seems so polished and darn near perfect for my use.

View attachment 50527

I thought a 10" would be better, but while i like the larger screen of the 10", holding it and using it while still holding it is easier. the 10" is larger so I'd have to lift my hand. The 7" I can grasp it and use my thumbs.

i'm lazy i know. But my kids will jack it and its easier for them too. I laugh at all the folks who go out with an iPad and hold it up for videos and picture taking. I kid you not, on a cruise, some guy was walking around using the iPad to take pictures on ship and on the port. Seriously, what a waste of a tablet. You cannot zoom in for pictures and the quality still isn't as good as a dedicated camera

OP
Arkbird

Arkbird

DF News Team
Premium Member
Reaction score
For a 7" tablet it's pretty decent resolution. As for the size, I kind of have to agree but Google and Asus probably did this to keep the cost down. I mean this is probably and updated version of the tablet we saw way back at CES.