[Updated & Confirmed]: Google and Asus Team Up on Nexus 7 Android Jelly Bean Tablet

kwyrt

Reaction score
No expandable memory, no buy. Really like the other specs, however the lack of memory expansion hurts. For example, I've been in Switzerland for the last two weeks and I like to "load-up" on media when I'm traveling like this. 16gb is not enough. 32gb or a memory card slot and I would have bought this device.
The lack of expandable memory is a concern. A couple of nandroid backups and bam, you about out of memory right there.

tjk629

Silver Member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
NEXUS 6
The lack of expandable memory is a concern. A couple of nandroid backups and bam, you about out of memory right there.

I don't see what the big deal with not including an microSD slot. I mean does it really take up that much space? Google seems to be pretty anti it. Considering the NS and GN lacked one.

wicked

Administrator
Staff member
Premium Member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Pixel 3 XL
Twitter
@MikeAlvez
I've had a 16GB HP Touchpad since the fire sale last year and never had storage issues. I'm dual booting webOS and CM9 and loaded it up with few games and my most used apps and occasionally a couple movies.

xsylus

Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Sony Xperia XA2 Ultra H4233
Ugh, wish I could afford this even though I really don't need one, but my student loans are killing me. :disappointed:

tjk629

Silver Member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
NEXUS 6
xsylus said:
but my student loans are killing me. :disappointed:

Amen brother.

Sent from my DROID BIONIC using Droid Forums

94lt1

Super Moderator
Staff member
Premium Member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Droid Turbo 2
It is an interesting looking tab.. :)

DROID RAZR MAXXIMIZED!!!! PREPARE TO BE VANQUISHED!!!

nikecar

Reaction score
Well I may pre order tomorrow. I got the green light to get it so I'll probably do the 16gb model.

Tillmorn

Reaction score
I was concerned about the lack of an sd slot. But the more I think about what I actually use my current Nook for, the more I realize I don't need much storage on the device. I already use Google Music, Netflix, and the Kindle app. 90% of the time I'm in an area with wifi. The only thing that will really take up space are emulators and games. And if the magazine service through Google is cloud-based as well, I could probably scrape by on 8gb. With that said, definitely going 16gb...my Nook has had a good run, but I'm ready for a quad-core, Google update controlled device. Now to look into a keyboard add-on for class in the Fall. Also, this announcement completely killed my desire to get a 3DS, which I had been considering for about a month.

While I'm thinking about it. How do you think the Tegra 3 will handle N64 and DS roms? Are there even emulators for the latter on Android?

jasonkrasnov

Reaction score
I am definitely thinking of buying one of these, especially after seeing the specs side by side with lenovo, ipad2, kindle fire and others here: Google's Nexus 7 Android Tablet has arrived.

As for the size, if you have ever held a 7" inch tablet, you will know that it is the PERFECT SIZE sir. The nexus 7 also has a grip on the back and is super thin @ 0.48 inhces. Dope.

sb1831

Reaction score
I'll get one because I love toys but it will probably be sold rather quickly. Even 16GB is too little storage for a portable device that isn't meant to be used strictly in the home. GoogleDrive is nice, but, useless if you're in an area with no wi-fi or cell connection for tethering. I'm also not a fan of the new soft key locations in the landscape profile. Too much bezel on the left and right will force you to switch grips before using any soft keys to ensure you have a solid grip and it doesn't drop. Good specs but too much to be desired for me to end up keeping it in the long run I feel.

I am ​excited for 4.1 to hit the Galaxy Nexus though. it really does look so much smoother.

dezymond

Tech Support Mod
Staff member
Premium Member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Google Pixel
I want one, but no SD card support could be a dealbreaker for me:frown:

zinethar

Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Note 8 and Note 10
I would have wanted one but 8gb? Really? With no expansion? That is so 2 years ago spec. Current top of line is 32 and 64. Yeah it would add a bit of cost so put in an expansion card. I know internal memory is faster and safer etc but 8gb??? I got the nexus because without the expansion verizon at least had 32gb. And no it isn't full but it has over 16gb on it and not the big games google would like you to plan on the tablet.

dezymond

Tech Support Mod
Staff member
Premium Member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Google Pixel
Buy selling it with such low storage space they pretty much force you to stream from the cloud. The whole emphasis on the devices shown today was use of the cloud. However, this means alot of buying movies we already own from Google Play just to watch it on these devices. I've already converted numerous DVDs to android friendly formats and now that space is limited, so is the selection I can put on the device. Heck, with the file sizes of the converted files I'd be lucky to fit 3 movies on an 8gb Nexus 7.

If I want to stream over multiple devices I'm going to be uploading media for days. Plus if you're on a roadtrip it's sometimes hard to find a good and fast data signal, and since these are wifi only you're pretty much at a loss on the road. At least with my Xoom I can fit in multiple seasons of shows or movies through SD cards.