[Rumor] Details of the Nexus 7 Tablet Leak Ahead of Google I/O

dgstorm

Editor in Chief
Staff member
Premium Member
Reaction score
AsusNexusTablet-leaked.jpg

Supposedly, thanks to a leaked training document Gizmodo Australia was able to procure, we now know the full details on the upcoming Google Nexus tablet, the Nexus 7. According to the leaked info, the Asus-made tablet will indeed be displayed/demoed at Google I/O this week, and will come with Android 4.1, which will be Jelly Bean. Additionally, the tablet will begin hitting the retail channel in July (at least in Australia, according to the intel) and there will be two versions. One is an 8GB model that will sell for $199.99, and the other is a 16GB model that will sell for $249.99. Not only that but we also have the full spec breakdown:
  • Android 4.1 Jelly Bean
  • Quad-core NVIDIA Tegra 3 processor - 1.3Ghz
  • 1GB RAM
  • NFC with Google Wallet and Android Beam
  • 7-inch IPS Display (1280 by 800 pixel resolution, 216ppi)
  • 1.2 MP front facing camera
  • 9 hour battery life
  • 8GB or 16GB storage versions
Even though the leak only reveals info on an Australian launch, it is still very likely that the tablet will be shipping out internationally on or around the same time in July. It looks like nearly all of the rumors we have picked up over the past few weeks have proven to be true. Finally, Google and the Android community will be able to compete with the iPad in a different way, by attempting to dictate pricing with dramatically cheaper competitors, instead of matching it toe-to-toe. Once Google and its partners can establish their brand presence even further, things will be looking up for all the higher-end Android tablets as well.

Source: NexusTablets.net via Gizmodo Australia

Tillmorn

Reaction score
No word on output ports? Or sd-card slot?

^This. I've no interest in a tablet that lacks an sd-card slot, regardless of how decent a price it is. After all, I'd prefer to not go completely cloudless as I am often in an area with no wifi.

gadgetrants

Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Google Pixel
Great news! Of course, what makes the Fire such an attractive device is not only the price, but also the integrated content through Amazon. I REALLY hope the Google tab "draws some fire" at the $199 price point -- but without a content pipeline (movies, books, music) it may be a tough sell for the not-so-tech-savvy consumer.

OK, yeah, Google Play has movies, books, and music. But which comes first to mind when you think about that digital content?...Google?...or Amazon?

-Matt

Arkbird

DF News Team
Premium Member
Reaction score
Ah you beat me to posting this! Had to go to the DMV this morning...ugh. But I'm pretty excited. This finally means a decent, cheap tablet with dev support, and it's a Nexus! I just wonder how Amazon plans to update their Kindle Fire to compete with this.

gadgetrants

Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Google Pixel
I just wonder how Amazon plans to update their Kindle Fire to compete with this.
One path for the Fire is to go "thinner and lighter" and maybe (?) better support for peripheral devices. I also wonder if they'll ever get eInk on an LCD figured out (e.g., the Notion Ink Adam?)

-Matt

Escobar

Reaction score
Sd slot would be nice but I'm getting this regardless.

Crankintopwater69

Silver Member
Reaction score
Sd slot would be nice but I'm getting this regardless.
If its gonna be 199 16gig-249 32gig-Ill wait for it to drop and pick one up for alot less.Wont do what I did with Nexus,spend 300 dollars and 5-6 mths later can get Nexus for 49 dollars(Wirefly).

nikecar

Reaction score
If its gonna be 199 16gig-249 32gig-Ill wait for it to drop and pick one up for alot less.Wont do what I did with Nexus,spend 300 dollars and 5-6 mths later can get Nexus for 49 dollars(Wirefly).
i guess you missed the line where its $199 for 8GB and 16GB is $249.

I want it to have removeable storage too, or else its a larger ipod touch. bleh.

skennelly

Reaction score
I purchased the 7 inch gtab 2 for 249. 8gb internal and bought a 32gb SD Card to go with it. The nexus doesn't seem like big deal as it is virtually the same as what I have now.

Sent from my GT-P3113 using Tapatalk 2

AuxiliaryPie

Reaction score
I purchased the 7 inch gtab 2 for 249. 8gb internal and bought a 32gb SD Card to go with it. The nexus doesn't seem like big deal as it is virtually the same as what I have now.

Sent from my GT-P3113 using Tapatalk 2

except for dev support, 1.3ghz quad core and $100 cheaper. exactly the same

edit- of any feature to be missing, the SD card really isnt that bad if you think about it. I (and im sure others) will be tethering their phone to this, the phone has all your music and pictures on it, so no need to have on the tab (even then, 8GB will hold a lot of pictures). You dont need a back camera on the tab for three reasons, 1. youll have your phone and 2. tab cameras usually suck and 3. you look like an idiot using one as a camera. all in all im pretty set on getting one, there isnt a better deal out there.

Last edited:

funwheeldrive

Reaction score
except for dev support, 1.3ghz quad core and $100 cheaper. exactly the same

edit- of any feature to be missing, the SD card really isnt that bad if you think about it. I (and im sure others) will be tethering their phone to this, the phone has all your music and pictures on it, so no need to have on the tab (even then, 8GB will hold a lot of pictures). You dont need a back camera on the tab for three reasons, 1. youll have your phone and 2. tab cameras usually suck and 3. you look like an idiot using one as a camera. all in all im pretty set on getting one, there isnt a better deal out there.

So if my phone can do all of the above, why would I even need this tablet? Its a little over 2 inches bigger than my phone, so the size factor doesn't really justify going out and spending 200 bucks on one.