[Rumor] Details of the Nexus 7 Tablet Leak Ahead of Google I/O

nikecar

Reaction score
AuxiliaryPie said:
except for dev support, 1.3ghz quad core and $100 cheaper. exactly the same

edit- of any feature to be missing, the SD card really isnt that bad if you think about it. I (and im sure others) will be tethering their phone to this, the phone has all your music and pictures on it, so no need to have on the tab (even then, 8GB will hold a lot of pictures). You dont need a back camera on the tab for three reasons, 1. youll have your phone and 2. tab cameras usually suck and 3. you look like an idiot using one as a camera. all in all im pretty set on getting one, there isnt a better deal out there.

I disagree on the tethering. I don't plan to tether it but I want the max space I can have for music and videos especially. That is more important to me. I was going to get the tab. But opted to wait for this one and the Acer one too.

AuxiliaryPie

Reaction score
So if my phone can do all of the above, why would I even need this tablet? Its a little over 2 inches bigger than my phone, so the size factor doesn't really justify going out and spending 200 bucks on one.

phones do everything any tablet can do, you sound like you dont want any tablet (iphone/ipad are both iOS..GNex and Nex7 are both ICS)? tablets are even more of a luxury than a smart phone is..there is no need for one. the only reason this one stands out is the dev support and best price to performance. have you ever used a kindle fire? that extra 2 inches makes a world of difference when web browsing, and being 7" it is extremely portable and feels just like holding a book instead of a laptop screen (10" tabs). though how it feels is purely opinion.

I disagree on the tethering. I don't plan to tether it but I want the max space I can have for music and videos especially. That is more important to me. I was going to get the tab. But opted to wait for this one and the Acer one too.

to each his own, but the price makes me easily over look storage space and a rear camera. and with 8gb you could put 2 movies on it with a lot of space to spare (750mb average for a movie download) and if you want your whole library of movies, just get an external harddrive and hook it up. boom, a 1TB tablet.

Last edited:

nikecar

Reaction score
to each his own, but the price makes me easily over look storage space and a rear camera. and with 8gb you could put 2 movies on it with a lot of space to spare (750mb average for a movie download) and if you want your whole library of movies, just get an external harddrive and hook it up. boom, a 1TB tablet.

So you expect folks to walk around with an External HD attached, if it even has a port for it?

Sorry, I don't download them, I rip them with a converter and they are all generally 1-1.5GB. Slap on music and pictures and the requisite apps and games, and that eats away at that 8GB limit.

I hate the iPod because of that limit, and with many quality games, ones that would display nicely on a tablet, 8GB is nothing. I too could overlook the extra camera, but storage slot is a biggie. If crappier tablets can have one, so can this one.

AuxiliaryPie

Reaction score
So you expect folks to walk around with an External HD attached, if it even has a port for it?

would you walk around while watching a movie? "a port for it?" its a USB..c'mon man.
besides how long do you intend to stare at the screen to need more than say 3 movies on it at a time? you also have netflix, hulu, amazon, play movies, etc. just put a couple of your favs or newest ones on it..watch and delete.

Sorry, I don't download them, I rip them with a converter and they are all generally 1-1.5GB. Slap on music and pictures and the requisite apps and games, and that eats away at that 8GB limit.

If you rip them, then just resize them after. it may be a 720p display but at 7" you wont notice a difference of quality between 1gb and 750mb (hell 750mb movies look fine on my 55" tv). a HUGE game like GTA3 is 400mb..you could fit 16 of them, 32 if you buy the 16gb. your pics could all just be on your phone, dont pretend like your phone isnt always in your pocket. plus how many pictures have you taken that are good enough to be shown on a tablet to people? 10? 20? 100? even then you have PLENTY of picture space..theres also picasa uploads to share between devices.

I hate the iPod because of that limit, and with many quality games, ones that would display nicely on a tablet, 8GB is nothing. I too could overlook the extra camera, but storage slot is a biggie. If crappier tablets can have one, so can this one.

i agree, it should have one. but theres so many ways around not having one that its silly to call it a deal breaker. google has so many cloud services, all free, that this is totally doable.

nikecar

Reaction score
I rip it once instead of having multiple files. They show up fine on my phone when reduced.