Pre-Order Your Google/Asus Nexus 7 Tablet Today on Google Play Store for $199.99!

nikecar

Reaction score
A couple questions for you guys...

Having WiFi only, how would the GPS even work? I would love to be able to take this for walk, hiking, etc and be able to listen to music and or watch TV or even map my hikes, but it seems almost worthless to me. I'd love to have it as a book/magazine reader, and would love to have it at home to be able to watch Netflix or Hulu when the kids are watching TV, but beyond that, what is it's usefulness? can you download google maps and use it standalone as a navigation device?

I believe Google's Maps presentation a while back said that you would be able to download maps and use it as a standalone feature. Not sure if its been implemented, or will be when the tablet rolls out.

From Engadget.. they have pics of the selecting map area and downloading feature.

http://www.engadget.com/photos/google-maps-in-android-4-1-jelly-bean/#5123600

Last edited:

FunN4Lo

Reaction score
A couple questions for you guys...

Having WiFi only, how would the GPS even work? I would love to be able to take this for walk, hiking, etc and be able to listen to music and or watch TV or even map my hikes, but it seems almost worthless to me. I'd love to have it as a book/magazine reader, and would love to have it at home to be able to watch Netflix or Hulu when the kids are watching TV, but beyond that, what is it's usefulness? can you download google maps and use it standalone as a navigation device?

Google Maps will cache now. I have only tried for a small area. Not sure what it would do cross country without wireless. But on my Acer tab I use Sygic (Play Store) that is an awesome map/GPS/Nav software that uses TomTom maps. A 7 inch GPS is really great

pdroid

Silver Member
Reaction score
i won't need too much storage, so that's not a big deal. also don't plan on taking pictures with it.

Sent from my ADR6400L using Tapatalk 2

GBH2

Reaction score
Anandtech Nexus 7 review: "I've now confirmed that USB-OTG is supported on the Nexus 7, and works on the current Android 4.1 non-final build that has been sampled. That's encouraging, and I'll test it myself when I get home and to my miniUSB OTG adapter."

AnandTech - Google Nexus 7 and Android 4.1 - Mini Review

That would be awesome if we could use a flash drive with this. :)

nikecar

Reaction score
If it will support flash drives, then I think we have a winner

GreenAcid

Reaction score
I preordered after thinking it over a bit. Kind of nervous of owning another Nexus device after having a Gnex that barely saw updates.

They did in fact charge me though but I think it's a temporary hold since I received an email 3 minutes later that said no charge was made

GBH2

Reaction score
Anandtech Nexus 7 review: "I've now confirmed that USB-OTG is supported on the Nexus 7, and works on the current Android 4.1 non-final build that has been sampled. That's encouraging, and I'll test it myself when I get home and to my miniUSB OTG adapter."

AnandTech - Google Nexus 7 and Android 4.1 - Mini Review

That would be awesome if we could use a flash drive with this. :)

Well, apparently it does not look good for flash drives(at least stock). :sad:

From the above Anandtech link:

Update 2: I've asked for further clarification about what USB-OTG functionality is supported. Using a mouse and keyboard will be supported, and I saw Google using an ethernet to USB adapter over USB-OTG as well. Unfortunately I found out that mounting USB storage will not be supported natively. In addition MHL is not supported.