So, my phone formed an intimate relationship with a toilet ...

OP
E

eliwood98

Reaction score
I mean, the reset works, which to me seems to imply it doesn't have a power down issue? Just a button-working issue. But I don't really know anything about phones. I tried the method you suggested to turn it off, and got nothing. It's sitting in rice on a sunny windowsill now.

TisMyDroid

Super Moderator
Staff member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Samsung Note 3
eliwood98 said:
Yeah, I'm doing that. But I can't power down the phone at all, but I can still charge the bastard, for whatever that's worth.

Did you try this yet?

1. Hold the volume down & power button until phone goes black (begins reboot).
2. Immediately when phone goes black, push both volume up & volume down till you get to screen with white text on black background (boot mode selection menu).
3. Volume down to AP Fasboot then volume up to select AP Fasboot.
4. On the AP Fasboot screen (next screen), push power to power down your phone.

Hopefully the power button will work here and I believe it should because it works to do the soft reset.

OP
E

eliwood98

Reaction score
I can get to the boot selection menu, but once I click on AP fasboot it just turns the screen off, which I can't turn back on, because no lock button >_<

B0B0

Reaction score
Quite often, yes... the phone can deep discharge where it is too weak to take a charge. Typically the phone will automatically shut down before it gets too low, but not necessarily so on a phone with power down problems.

that's the most preposterous thing I've ever heard.

TisMyDroid

Super Moderator
Staff member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Samsung Note 3
eliwood98 said:
I can get to the boot selection menu, but once I click on AP fasboot it just turns the screen off, which I can't turn back on, because no lock button >_<

Well this may be good because it may be because your phone has actually powered off.

OP
E

eliwood98

Reaction score
Here's hoping. It's sitting in rice now, so /knocksonwood

TisMyDroid

Super Moderator
Staff member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Samsung Note 3
When you use volume down to get to AP Fasboot mode, are you using volume up to select it?

OP
E

eliwood98

Reaction score
Yes, I'm using volume up to select it. Screen goes black.

TisMyDroid

Super Moderator
Staff member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Samsung Note 3
Screen going black and does it remain black or restart again? If it remains black then it could be that it has actually powered down.

OP
E

eliwood98

Reaction score
It just goes black is all, I can't exactly check if its on or whatever, because there's no lock button.

TisMyDroid

Super Moderator
Staff member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Samsung Note 3
Well, I think that may be a good sign that it has actually powered down. After it has sat in rice for at least a day, you can plug it into charger see if it shows the battery charging icon. If battery shows 20% or more, unplug and let it dry out for another day, then charge it to 50%. Once you know it is completely dry and has a safe level of charge, you can try turning it on by pressing power button twice. I think you may be looking good and I'll keep my fingers crossed for you.

OP
E

eliwood98

Reaction score
How effective is the rubbing alcohol solution?

EDIT: I wish I could vote up your responses :p

TisMyDroid

Super Moderator
Staff member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Samsung Note 3
Rubbing alcohol, the higher the percent of alcohol the better, can be very effective but you still want to allow it to dry out as much as possible. If you have any silicon packs to throw in with the rice, that also helps. There are also special bags for rapid drying devices that are good but not sure where to get them or what they are called. Hopefully someone who knows will chime in... SallyC? She always knows that kind of stuff.