So, my phone formed an intimate relationship with a toilet ...

eliwood98

Reaction score
So I dropped my phone in the toilet last night, was full submerged for less than 3 seconds. EVerything seems to work, except the lock button doesn't do anything.

I can still do the hard reset with the lock button and down volume.

Everything else on the phone works, functionality is as it should be, buttons are all responsive, except for the lock button.

THere is what looks like moisture inside the camera lens, you know, little water looking droplets, and when I turn on the camera it's blurry.

Do you think dunking in rice is the way to go? I can't turn the phone off without the lock button :/

tygerchylde

Reaction score
I would try a little rubbing alcohol on a q-tip.
Squeeze the rubbing alcohol out if the q-tip into one side of the lock button, rub around the lock button with the q-tip, then shake the alcohol out. Allow to dry for 15-30 minutes, then try it.
Worked for me when I spilled coffee on my Razr.

OP
E

eliwood98

Reaction score
Thanks for that!

And it doesn't seem to be charging at all?

B0B0

Reaction score
if you can, remove the battery at once.
Next up.
Drop it in a container of rice for at least a full 24hrs.

TisMyDroid

Super Moderator
Staff member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Samsung Note 3
Welcome to DroidForums eliwood. So sorry for your unfortunate mishap. The one thing you need to do and do immediately is turn the phone off and put it in rice in a warm sunny spot for at least a day, preferably two or three. You are fortunate that most functions work but that some do not means there is still water in there that has the potential to cause more irreparable damage. You are also at risk of deep discharging your battery where it will no longer take a charge. So while you have battery now, turn the phone off, get it completely dry and don't turn on until you can get it to charge til at least 50%.

Sent from my DROID RAZR Maxx using Droid Forums

OP
E

eliwood98

Reaction score
It's a razr, you can't turn it off without the lock button. The lock button is the one I don't have. I'm going to give the rubbing alcohol a try, if that doesn't work I'll move to rice.

TisMyDroid

Super Moderator
Staff member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Samsung Note 3
With a little trial & error... and help from sydman's posts, I figured out how you can possibly get your phone to power down. First, your power button must have some functionality otherwise you would not be able to get it to soft reset, but for some reason (water interference) your power button is not pulling up the power down options screen. Here is an alternative to powering down your phone.

1. Hold the volume down & power button until phone goes black (begins reboot).
2. Immediately when phone goes black, push both volume up & volume down till you get to screen with white text on black background (boot mode selection menu.
3. Volume down to AP Fasboot then volume up to select AP Fasboot.
4. On the AP Fasboot screen (next screen), push power to power down your phone.

Hopefully the power button will work here and I believe it should because it works to do the soft reset.

TisMyDroid

Super Moderator
Staff member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Samsung Note 3
If at all possible, do not let it die because there is a huge risk that you will not be able to charge it again if you do.

B0B0

Reaction score
You can't recharge the battery of this phone once it dies? :blink:

OP
E

eliwood98

Reaction score
Yeah, that's not working. Watch it be ****ing bricked, I managed to ruin a $400 phone inside 12 freaking hours.

OP
E

eliwood98

Reaction score
Yeah, I'm doing that. But I can't power down the phone at all, but I can still charge the bastard, for whatever that's worth.

TisMyDroid

Super Moderator
Staff member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Samsung Note 3
B0B0 said:
You can't recharge the battery of this phone once it dies? :blink:

Quite often, yes... the phone can deep discharge where it is too weak to take a charge. Typically the phone will automatically shut down before it gets too low, but not necessarily so on a phone with power down problems.