Drop into toilet, always boot in AP Fastboot Flash Mode, and safe mode

jkingrazr

Reaction score
Need some help from you experts. Drop my Droid Razr XT912 in the toilet bowl Tuesday nite (9/8). I retrieved it immediately. Shaked out all water from the phone. Power button was not working. So it was not able shutdown. I let it dried in uncooked rice for 24hrs.

After 24hrs, turning on always got to the following (still happening now):

AP Fastboot Flash Mode (S)
0A.74
eMMC Info: Size 16G
To return to normal mode - first press power key to power down
Device is LOCKED. Status Code: 0

Battery OK
OK to Program
Connect USB
Data Cable

It can be shutdown down with power+vol_down. Then I force boot menu with power+vol_up+vol_down.

On force boot menu, vol_up and vol-down key both are not working. Cannot scroll thru the list with vol-down, cannot use vol-up to select. I can ONLY let it timeout and boot with 'Normal Powerup'.

'Normal Powerup' always boot into "Safe Mode". Cannot boot into normal mode (even now).

From 'Safe Mode', a lot of the applications don't work and a good number of them not display from the 'Apps' screen. Vol-down button is not working on 'Safe Mode'. GPS doesn't turn on. The water stickers turned red, so it cannot bring back to Verizon for replacement. Re-install from Google play will not have the app displays on the "Apps" screen.

I'll need some big help from you experts here. My biggest concern is that both the vol-up and vol-down is not working from the "Boot Menu", so not sure it will be get into trouble if I try to "re-flash" it. The vol-down button seems to be working on "power+vol-down" and "power+vol-up+vol-down". I'm newbie in the android customization and terminologies.

1) Is there anything I can do?
2) Replace the vol-up/vol-down button first?
3) Re-flash, re-stock?
4) Just copy back some files to the phone?
5) Would GPS broke by the water? Or it just not able to enable in Safe Mode? GPS is something I definite need on my phone.
6) Will repair shop able to fix it? Does it worth the effort to repair?
7) If I ask repair shop to "clean it" up and then replace the water sticker. Will they able to tell if I try to has it replaced from verizon? I definitely not want to pay for the full price $500+ for a re-condition unit.
8) Should I just got a used razr from ebay and has it activate by Verizon?

Please HHHHHHHelppp..... Sorry for all the "stupid" and ignorant questions.

Thanks,

Jacob

ih8iphones

Reaction score
Just try to sbf it back to stock if it all fails than call verizon that you lost your phone and use the insurance on it.

Sent from my R800at using Tapatalk 2

94lt1

Super Moderator
Staff member
Premium Member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Droid Turbo 2
If you have insurance.. just call them and say your phone got wet... pay the 100$ deductible and be done with it.. no need to tell them anything made up...

If you don't have insurance... a repair company will probably be able to help you... just hope they know what they're doing... I'd call moto and see what they would charge for repairs.. you get a warranty after they repair it.

You could try soaking it in 99% isopropyl alcohol... it might help, it sounds like you have corrosion preventing things from working properly..

You might also look on Craigslist or swappa or eBay for another device...

You're lucky... at least your device charges... there are many that don't have that luck.. :D

OP
J

jkingrazr

Reaction score
May i pls ask what does "sbf it back to stock mean"? How do i do that?
I don't have insurance. :(
Just try to sbf it back to stock if it all fails than call verizon that you lost your phone and use the insurance on it.

TisMyDroid

Super Moderator
Staff member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Samsung Note 3
Hi jkingrazr, welcome to Droid Forums. So sorry to hear about your mishap. Everyone's worst nightmare.

To answer one of your questions... to sbf your phone back to stock is basically flashing the sbf file for your phone that will take it back to like it was when you bought it. I'm not sure if that is what you want to attempt right now though. First thing is you would need to make sure your phone has a good charge so you don't ruin it more than it is and with your phone in its current state it is a little hard to know what the state of charge is for sure, as well as that it probably is not even possible without working volume buttons.

I would attempt 94lt1's suggestion. You want to get the phone bone dry before trying to operate anything on the phone. The alcohol bath might solve corrosion issues. The possibility still remains that your phone short circuited and will need repair or replacement but we can hope that we are lucky.

Sent from my DROID RAZR Maxx using Droid Forums

ih8iphones

Reaction score
Its a quick repair i have salvage 90 percent motorola handset using this method .you only need 75 percent battery and it only takes 15 minutes max.

TisMyDroid

Super Moderator
Staff member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Samsung Note 3
ih8iphones said:
Its a quick repair i have salvage 90 percent motorola handset using this method .you only need 75 percent battery and it only takes 15 minutes max.

Has this worked on phones that needed repair due to water damage? This would be excellent if it adds another possibility to resurrect a water damaged phone. Once the phone is dry, it would definitely be worth a try, that's for sure. Got nothing to lose.

ih8iphones

Reaction score
Has this worked on phones that needed repair due to water damage? This would be excellent if it adds another possibility to resurrect a water damaged phone. Once the phone is dry, it would definitely be worth a try, that's for sure. Got nothing to lose.

Some like 15 percent but not most water damage can be fixed by takeing it apart and soke it in alchohol. I repaired alot of iphones that way it actually works .50 percent of the time the digitizer doesn't work.

ih8iphones

Reaction score
Im actually working on samsung skyrocket with water damage the only thing that does not work is the is the speaker.

TisMyDroid

Super Moderator
Staff member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Samsung Note 3
Well, it is definitely worth a shot. Have to get the phone dry and hope for volume buttons to start working first.

OP
J

jkingrazr

Reaction score
Just want to make sure there is no confusion. What is the "Its" that you are referring to? Soak it in alcohol? or "sbf back to stock"? For the "sbf back to stock", would that be the "Fastboot Restore 6.16.211 (ICS 4.0.4 Official OTA Software)." option as in mattlgroff's "Droid Razr Utility 1.8"?

OP
J

jkingrazr

Reaction score
How do I do the 99% isopropyl alcohol soak? I assume that it need to be power off, right? What else? With the phone in one piece (unassemble) and soak completely in alcohol? For how long in the alcohol? and how long after taking out from the alcohol?

If you have insurance.. just call them and say your phone got wet... pay the 100$ deductible and be done with it.. no need to tell them anything made up...

If you don't have insurance... a repair company will probably be able to help you... just hope they know what they're doing... I'd call moto and see what they would charge for repairs.. you get a warranty after they repair it.

You could try soaking it in 99% isopropyl alcohol... it might help, it sounds like you have corrosion preventing things from working properly..

You might also look on Craigslist or swappa or eBay for another device...

You're lucky... at least your device charges... there are many that don't have that luck.. :D

ih8iphones

Reaction score
Just want to make sure there is no confusion. What is the "Its" that you are referring to? Soak it in alcohol? or "sbf back to stock"? For the "sbf back to stock", would that be the "Fastboot Restore 6.16.211 (ICS 4.0.4 Official OTA Software)." option as in mattlgroff's "Droid Razr Utility 1.8"?

Restore it back to default , if that fail do the alcohol method.

thomemmy

Reaction score
Help!

What happened with your phone? I dropped mine in the toilet and did exactly the same thing you did (took it out quickly, dried it off, put it in rice for 24 hours) and it's doing the same exact thing in the reboot menu - volume up & down don't work. It is charging currently, but I can't get it to do anything else. Any tips? Do you think a Verizon store could fix it? Or should I just give up and get a replacement?