Smart Keyboard

agdaniels

Reaction score
I tried out both of your issues: typing "hahahahaha" a whole lot, and it never missed a beat, and I was going extremely fast.

I also tried out the F/J key thing, hitting one, then hitting the other. Always registered both. Now, sometimes it wouldn't print the first til I let off the second, but it still printed them correcting and in the right order.

Haha would work as its across the keyboard, did you try f/j in portrait? Thats where I saw with those letters. In landscape letters like j/g have issues. Try any two keys within one or two keys of each other by holding one and tapping the other, only the second tapped letter will show (at least on my droid)

OP
C

cyril

Reaction score
Haha would work as its across the keyboard, did you try f/j in portrait? Thats where I saw with those letters. In landscape letters like j/g have issues. Try any two keys within one or two keys of each other by holding one and tapping the other, only the second tapped letter will show (at least on my droid)
well, I don't see issues with F/J even in portrait mode on my phone (HTC Hero with custom 2.1 ROM). I guess this kind of problems is linked to the touchscreen kernel driver, as my app only relies on the Android framework to detect multi-touch inputs, and if the framework reports wrong events, there is nothing I could do to fix that...

agdaniels

Reaction score
well, I don't see issues with F/J even in portrait mode on my phone (HTC Hero with custom 2.1 ROM). I guess this kind of problems is linked to the touchscreen kernel driver, as my app only relies on the Android framework to detect multi-touch inputs, and if the framework reports wrong events, there is nothing I could do to fix that...

That's probably what it is, I've used apps such as multitouch visualizer and a multitouch drawing app and it didn't do well with close multiple touches. Could this be why android doesn't have your style keyboard to begin with?

Don't mean to take away from your work, its still a great keyboard

OP
C

cyril

Reaction score
Yes I will add an option to enable the language key, and to choose the available languages (as it was before)

Done in 0.3.1 ;-)

By the way can you tell me if the vibrator works on N1 ? Someone told me it doesn't, so I increased the duration from 20ms to 30ms, but I don't know if it works...

DigiK

Reaction score
Hey Cyril,

Latest update is more great work. The language chooser implementation is a good compromise that still allows for an uncluttered keyboard if you're not switching languages frequently; and of course revert to alpha on space bar is gold.

Still not 100% convinced with the bubble display timings. It also seems like there's a non-display bug that's easily reproducible when I tap a key quickly: the letter registers in the text field, but I never see a bubble display. I know you're doing an interrupt when the second key is pressed, but there should be a minimum time in milliseconds that each bubble is displayed which supersedes the interrupt. At the very least, the non-display on quick tap error should be corrected.

**BTW, It looks like the text box resize occlusion problem is now fixed. :)

Last edited:

DigiK

Reaction score
Another little potential improvement that a few others have also noted is the size of the return key hit-box makes it easy to accidentally hit it when pressing delete. This becomes more relevant when using mesaging programs where an accidental send can take place.

Potential fixes would be decreasing size of the hitbox and/or creating a 'messaging' layout with popup common emoticons in place of the [RETURN] key. I'm guessing the messaging programs are instantiating the alternate keyboard layout if/when it exists or is the keyboard querying the program?

Last edited:

cizake

Reaction score
Cyril - This is awesome.
Deffo best keyboard for Android devices.
Swype is out.

@florianseroussi

nicolas

Reaction score
@Cyril
Just saw a video of your Smart Keyboard and I couldn't find it on the Market. I have a Milestone running 2.0, on Brazil.

What's the minimum API for your app? (Does it need 2.0.1 or you have imposed some kind of region restriction?)

Thanks! :)

vpshockwave

Reaction score
@Cyril
Just saw a video of your Smart Keyboard and I couldn't find it on the Market. I have a Milestone running 2.0, on Brazil.

What's the minimum API for your app? (Does it need 2.0.1 or you have imposed some kind of region restriction?)

Thanks! :)

I would upload a backup of the keyboard for you, but I'm not sure if the author is ok with that. I don't see the harm though since it's free at the moment.

nicolas

Reaction score
Appreciate your help. Just don't know if it will be approved by Cyril.

Man, I really wish the Market was universal. My phone is rooted, so I probably can get it by faking my provider right?

I'll wait for Cyril's opinion :).

CApaddler

Reaction score
Thanks for your work on the app. I have a question. Android has the annoying problem that one cannot easily change the input language (and associated dictionary for word correction and completion) without changing the Locale/Language of the entire phone/OS.

Is it possible to fix this problem with your keyboard, like in the iPhone OS? The solution would be: tap a button to switch to a different language, and the input dictionary switches accordingly to that of the selected language, if available in the phone.

That would be great! There is currently no solution to this problem for Android and many people who type SMS/Email in multiple language really looking for a way to solve this problem.

thechaps

Reaction score
Hey i love that we are finally getting the MT keyboard that we need. The only grip i have and its a personal issue is that the capture area for the keys are too big... i have fat fingers and dont always push directly on the key... If you could shrink down the capture area it would greatly speed up my texting. I wonder if i'm the only one with this issue cause nobody else is really talking about it but it is the only reason why im not making this my main KB. Its super fast and i love the layout but i misspell all the time cause i push just a tad to far off center and get wrong letters... I know that some of the other keyboards on the market have done this so if you possibly could that would make this the best keyboard for sure.

OP
C

cyril

Reaction score