Smart Keyboard

vpshockwave

Reaction score
Hey, i have noticed that this app doesnt truly feel like multitouch, if you try and type two letters fast, say haha, but over and over, it misses key strokes very often. it sometimes feels better, but it doesnt feel smoother than the stock keyboard on the droid :( it is good for the early stages of its progress tho
another thing i think can be improved should be that after you type symbols or numbers, if you hit space bar it should revery back to the alphabetical keys automatically. also a double tap space bar for period would be nice.
So far so good. good luck and thanks

Awesome work on the development of the keyboard, its actually my default now. A few things still exist, one was mentioned earlier. With my droid, letters that are close together are dropping keytouches, for example, pressing j then f only shows f. This happens on both landscape and portrait. This would be above and beyond, but would the voice recognition be difficult to add as well similar to the default 2.1 keyboard?

Thanks for your great work

I tried out both of your issues: typing "hahahahaha" a whole lot, and it never missed a beat, and I was going extremely fast.

I also tried out the F/J key thing, hitting one, then hitting the other. Always registered both. Now, sometimes it wouldn't print the first til I let off the second, but it still printed them correcting and in the right order.

OP
C

cyril

Reaction score
Hello

I was sure someone would miss the language key ;) My favorite solution would be a swipe to change language, but I don't know when I will get this working...
Anyway I will find a solution, as I miss this key too !

--
Cyril

vpshockwave

Reaction score
Hello

I was sure someone would miss the language key ;) My favorite solution would be a swipe to change language, but I don't know when I will get this working...
Anyway I will find a solution, as I miss this key too !

--
Cyril

I have an idea (perhaps). You could put two keyboards into the APK. In the keyboard settings, you could choose either "Smart Keyboard (Multi)" or "Smart Keyboard (English Only)" -- that way those who use English don't have to worry about the key, and those who want multiple languages can easily use the other instead (while still retaining the key that lets them change back to English if need be).

Just a thought if you can't please everyone with the current board.

OP
C

cyril

Reaction score
I have an idea (perhaps). You could put two keyboards into the APK. In the keyboard settings, you could choose either "Smart Keyboard (Multi)" or "Smart Keyboard (English Only)" -- that way those who use English don't have to worry about the key, and those who want multiple languages can easily use the other instead (while still retaining the key that lets them change back to English if need be).

Yes I will add an option to enable the language key, and to choose the available languages (as it was before)

CKyle22

Reaction score
I can't seem to get multi touch to work with this thing! It's so weird, no matter what I do this keyboard wont be multi touch for me.

(Yes, I did set it in input settings)

vpshockwave

Reaction score
I can't seem to get multi touch to work with this thing! It's so weird, no matter what I do this keyboard wont be multi touch for me.

So you have it set to enabled in Settings --> Language and Keyboard Settings ? And you enabled it in the input method? That's weird. Try reinstalling it. It's definitely MT.

CKyle22

Reaction score

So you have it set to enabled in Settings --> Language and Keyboard Settings ? And you enabled it in the input method? That's weird. Try reinstalling it. It's definitely MT.
Just did. Still no good. Could it be because I'm on the Sholes.info ROM and in my Device Settings it says "2.0.1 Sholes" instead of "2.0.1"?

Would that cause issues?

vpshockwave

Reaction score

Just did. Still no good. Could it be because I'm on the Sholes.info ROM and in my Device Settings it says "2.0.1 Sholes" instead of "2.0.1"?

Would that cause issues?

I'm not sure if anyone else on this thread is using the sholes rom (personally I'm not). It couldn't hurt to do a nandroid backup and revert to a non-sholes rom to see if that fixes your issues.

CKyle22

Reaction score

Would that cause issues?

I'm not sure if anyone else on this thread is using the sholes rom (personally I'm not). It couldn't hurt to do a nandroid backup and revert to a non-sholes rom to see if that fixes your issues.
I'll try that and report my findings.

aamzalag

Reaction score
i am on the sholes 2.0.1 rom 1.1, and multi touch isnt working real good for me too. its no faster or more accurate than the normal keyboard. i did go to a normal nandroid 2.01 restore, and it is much more responsive in the normal rom. so perhaps the new kernal or something in the sholes rom messes with smart keyboards functionality?

CKyle22

Reaction score
i am on the sholes 2.0.1 rom 1.1, and multi touch isnt working real good for me too. its no faster or more accurate than the normal keyboard. i did go to a normal nandroid 2.01 restore, and it is much more responsive in the normal rom. so perhaps the new kernal or something in the sholes rom messes with smart keyboards functionality?
Okay. I restored to stock and it was betterbut it wasn't at all good. The only thing it did better was type hahaha better. Anything else was just as bad.

It's a shame because it seems to be legit

vpshockwave

Reaction score
Okay. I restored to stock and it was betterbut it wasn't at all good. The only thing it did better was type hahaha better. Anything else was just as bad.

It's a shame because it seems to be legit

It works fine for me (and other people in the thread apparently). Not sure what to tell you. :(

vpshockwave

Reaction score

It's possible. I'm no programmer, but the Sholes team did say they optimized some of the applications, among other things. It's possibly Smart Keyboard has a dependency that was altered. Seems strange though.

OP
C

cyril

Reaction score
CKyle22: stupid question, but did you change the input method ? (long press in the input text box to do this)

Otherwise I don't understand why it would not work, the app only depends on the standard android 2.0 framework. Maybe the ROM you use doesn't have multitouch in the kernel driver, that would explain...

CKyle22

Reaction score
CKyle22: stupid question, but did you change the input method ? (long press in the input text box to do this)

Otherwise I don't understand why it would not work, the app only depends on the standard android 2.0 framework. Maybe the ROM you use doesn't have multitouch in the kernel driver, that would explain...
Both the Sholes ROM and the stock ROM I used both had the 2.0 framework.

:(

And yes I enabled it in the input methods.