Smart Keyboard

zazabichi

Reaction score
Hi fellas,

Unfortunately I can't find this file on the market.
Any suggestions?

csodjd

Reaction score
I'd like to see autocorrect, but just for simple things such as autocapitalizing the first letter of a sentence. I've gotten pretty good with this keyboard and am definitely liking it better than all the rest.

Especially the one that starts with an 's' that I won't name.

Agreed. Also for words like I'm, they'll, can't, won't, etc., and for words with the "ed", "ing" and plural "s" or "es" endings as ready options after you type the first few letters. Saves a bunch of typing. And I do love being able to type "tomo" and have the word "tomorrow" a touch away.

OP
C

cyril

Reaction score
New day, new release ;)

v0.3.0 is out, taking into account your comments:
- The font size bug on Nexus 1, Motorola Droid, etc. should be fixed (at least it is in the emulator ;) )
- No more language key (still looking for a replacement for this key, though!)
- Opaque background

--
Cyril

OP
C

cyril

Reaction score
Hey guys the video about the nexus and keyboard replacement is up and Smart Keyboard is on in the third video at the bottom at the 8:40 mark I recommended it to the guy to include in the video! Your Nexus One questions and requests | DroidDog Android Blog

Cool! Too bad this version didn't have the fix for the font size bug, but anyway thanks for advertizing it! And it's interesting seeing people typing that fast with my keyboard, because I can't ;-)

--
Cyril

TapaH

Reaction score
Thank you for all fixes but (!) - how can we (russian speaking) now use it without two languages?? And you disabled keyboard type selection, am I right? But font size and popups are ok now. Add, please, at least lang selection button. May be as an option only for those, who use two langs (like russian/english).

DigiK

Reaction score
Cyril,
Tried out the update for a bit; everything is coming along great. Letter bubbles all display correctly now on Moto Droid, and the symbol key definitely feels more natural & easier to invoke. Opaque background definitely less distracting. Just get auto-correction going and this thing will be ready for show time.

**Bubble display still seems a bit too short though. Any way to make it slightly more persistent (set time interval) even though another key is pressed?

@TapaH:
I think a good compromise might be making the languages directly accessible from an on-screen pop-up menu invoked by long-pressing the symbol key. Pop-up menu would list languages and a link to keyboard options screen; on-the-fly language change should still be pretty efficient this way. Another 'two-click' alternative would be adding the language key back in on the symbol keyboard by shortening the space bar there. Layout would be [123][EN][,][SPACE] Main keyboard is definitely too cramped with the language key always displayed, though.

Last edited:

DigiK

Reaction score
Ah, one bug I just found: In cases where the type input box changes size based on how much much you've entered (Google Talk for instance), text box isn't always shifted upward on-screen and is occluded by keyboard.

soup285

Reaction score
total newjack problem, but I cannot for the life of me seem to activate this keyboard? what am i doing wrong? the input method only shows one option and that is the android keyboard

running 2.0.1 with handcent and home ++

help?

DigiK

Reaction score
@soup285: You shouldn't have any problems after installation. Just go to settings>Language & keyboard and it should be listed. If no worky, try reinstall maybe...

Just had another thought on the on-screen language/option popup menu. It can be a nice compact bubble with grid display of Language and options shortcuts that would supermimpose over the keyboard slightly above & right of the [123] key on long-press. This will allow very quick changing since you wont be moving your finger very far at all.

Layout of bubble could be similar to below:
[EN][FR]| O |
[SP][RU]| x |
'O' or some little gear icon for options and an x icon to close out of the menu in case of accidental press.

Last edited:

soup285

Reaction score
@soup285: You shouldn't have any problems after installation. Just go to settings>Language & keyboard and it should be listed. If no worky, try reinstall maybe...

Just had another thought on the on-screen language/option popup menu. It can be a nice compact bubble with grid display of Language and options shortcuts; which supermimposes roughly over the [123] key.. This will allow very quick changing since you wont be moving your finger very far at all.

Layout of bubble could be similar to below:
[EN][FR]| O |
[SP][RU]| x |
'O' or some little gear icon for options and an x to close out of the menu in case of accidental press.
ugh. i was looking in the wrong place. thanks a million.

aamzalag

Reaction score
Hey, i have noticed that this app doesnt truly feel like multitouch, if you try and type two letters fast, say haha, but over and over, it misses key strokes very often. it sometimes feels better, but it doesnt feel smoother than the stock keyboard on the droid :( it is good for the early stages of its progress tho
another thing i think can be improved should be that after you type symbols or numbers, if you hit space bar it should revery back to the alphabetical keys automatically. also a double tap space bar for period would be nice.
So far so good. good luck and thanks

agdaniels

Reaction score
Awesome work on the development of the keyboard, its actually my default now. A few things still exist, one was mentioned earlier. With my droid, letters that are close together are dropping keytouches, for example, pressing j then f only shows f. This happens on both landscape and portrait. This would be above and beyond, but would the voice recognition be difficult to add as well similar to the default 2.1 keyboard?

Thanks for your great work

vpshockwave

Reaction score
New day, new release ;)

v0.3.0 is out, taking into account your comments:
- The font size bug on Nexus 1, Motorola Droid, etc. should be fixed (at least it is in the emulator ;) )
- No more language key (still looking for a replacement for this key, though!)
- Opaque background

--
Cyril

Great release. Fixed pretty much everything I had an issue with.

I still can't thank you enough for releasing an MT keyboard. I feel like I've been waiting for ages.