Multi-Touch: The Last Word

Reaction score
I keep running into discussions about multi-touch on the Droid (or lack there of), and about multi-touch in Android in general.

Being a developer who has, among other things, (1) developed a Multi-touch API for Android, and (2) developed Multi-touch applications for all versions of Android, I have the inside scoop on this issue and thought I'd share it.

Fact 1: Android was released without Multi-touch support (1.0, 1.1, 1.5, 1.6)
Opinions vary about why this is so; some say legal issues, some say secret agreements. I don't know why, but I know what. Android was unable to report the location of more than one finger at a time. It has always been possible to simulate pinch/stretch zooming, although we're not aware of any applications that do it but ours (PhoneMyPC, and the recently released Beta of 'Imagine Multi-Touch').

Fact 2: Android 2.0 has 'true' Multi-touch
This includes the Droid. The Android 2.0 software is capable of handling up to three fingers simultaneously; the Droid only supports 2 (whether it's a hardware or software limit, I'm not sure).

Fact 3: The Droid apps are not Multi-touch
This isn't for any technical reason; the device, and the OS can do it. Google chose not to use this feature in the Gallery, Browser, etc., but they have chosen to do so for the European version (Milestone).

Fact 4: 3rd party apps can use Multi-touch on the Droid.
PicSay, PhoneMyPC, Imagine Multi-Touch all use multi-touch on the Droid, and the latter two do so on all versions of Android. I have a friend who's developing a multi-touch browser using the same technology we use in our products, so one will be available soon for we USA Droid'ians.

So, Droid owners, rest easy that your device has got the latest capabilities. Blame Google for not giving you multi-everyting out-of-the-box, but rest easy: developers will fill the gaps, and we'll be swimming in a sea of multi-finger fun in no time.

SoftwareForMe.com
Makers of PhoneMyPC

CaptainDango

Reaction score
Thats awesome news. As a purchaser of your phoneMyPC application, I say your app was the best money spent. Period. The Multitouch on it is just as smooth and fluid as on the iPhone.

As for the browser, I actually think the browser that comes with the Droid is fantastic, fast, easy to use and renders pages perfectly. I don't know much about software developement but can your friend just enable multi-touch with the factory browser and call it a day? It really is perfect, just missing multi-touch. Unless he can somehow improve upon the factory browser, that would be even better.

Martin030908

Super Moderator
Reaction score
Nice to get some clarity with the multi-touch issue. Thanks. Also it's great to see a developer in the forums.... accessible to the consumer!

BeefyBeefo

Reaction score
Excellent information. Thanks for posting. I'm loving PhoneMyPC and am looking forward to new apps from you guys! :D

RinTinTigger

Premium Member
Premium Member
Reaction score
Website
www.droidforums.net
Well,

the Motorola Milestone (GSM Version of DROID) HAS Multitouch as seen in my video belwo, so why should it be restricted to droidowners for ever?

[video=youtube;K8mNSU1pVQM]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=K8mNSU1pVQM[/video]

Martin030908

Super Moderator
Reaction score
Preach on RinTin! Preach! Apple doesn't scare me! Bring Multi Touch! LOL

OP
SoftwareForMe.com
Reaction score
Preach on RinTin! Preach! Apple doesn't scare me! Bring Multi Touch! LOL

LOL. That's our view ;-)

@CaptainDango,
The core rendering will be the same, as they both use the same Web Kit. My friend also really likes Android's browser, so to the extent that he can, he's copying the look and feel of it and hopes to end up with something that feels the same, but uses multi-touch.

SoftwareForMe.com
Makers of PhoneMyPC

Martin030908

Super Moderator
Reaction score
Hey Software...

Any plans to enable Cut/Copy/Paste for PhoneMyPc between PC and device? I currently use a file explorer but would gladly remove it and purchase your app. Also... since it's remote... does that mean I can, let's say, be on my couch and turn my winamp playlist on and move thru songs?

OP
SoftwareForMe.com
Reaction score
Hey Software...

Any plans to enable Cut/Copy/Paste for PhoneMyPc between PC and device? I currently use a file explorer but would gladly remove it and purchase your app. Also... since it's remote... does that mean I can, let's say, be on my couch and turn my winamp playlist on and move thru songs?

Yes, we'd like to add cut/copy/paste. This is similar to file-copy, because you should be able to copy more than just text. We're looking at this and will have something eventually, but we're being conservative on bandwidth consumption (a large number of users use our hosted service, and if we let bandwidth use increase without bound, we cannot sell the app for a one-time fee).

As for the Winamp playlist, I see no reason why not. PhoneMyPC doesn't yet support sound, so you'd need to be listening through your PC's speakers (or media device), but you could certainly control it through your phone.

SoftwareForMe.com
Makers of PhoneMyPC

Martin030908

Super Moderator
Reaction score
Thanks! Yea i wanted to listen to the music from my PC speakers... basically use my phone as a remote so I don't have to keep getting up.

Another question since I got you here :).....

What happens when say my screen saver comes on and then requires me to enter my password to get back to my user session? In other words.... Do i have to leave my PC on with no screen saver for PhoneMyPC to work?

OP
SoftwareForMe.com
Reaction score
What happens when say my screen saver comes on and then requires me to enter my password to get back to my user session? In other words.... Do i have to leave my PC on with no screen saver for PhoneMyPC to work?

Great question!

Basic screen savers are not an issue: PhoneMyPC shuts them off when you connect.

However, if you have your screen saver "lock" your workstation (as you describe), PhoneMyPC cannot unlock it. This is our last major feature (ya, we don't consider sound and others as 'major'), and we have it working and being integrated and tested. It turns out this is an amazingly complicated undertaking, but we'll hvae it out in the coming weeks.

SoftwareForMe.com

Martin030908

Super Moderator
Reaction score
Thanks! Made sure to make note of that so I can change my screen saver not to go back to the login screen when going back to usage.

BeefyBeefo

Reaction score
Being able to unlock will definitely be a major improvement as you say. As of right now, I leave my computers unlocked, set the screen to go off but never sleep and close the screens on the laptops/desktops. It works great, but I would feel better if I could password lock them all, then connect and unlock that way. Excellent software is just getting better.

Dukefrukem

Reaction score
If you're a developer, you should know the reason why google didn't enable multi-touch support out of the box is because Apple has a patten on the technology. Why do you think the Sprint's Palm is currently being sued by Apple??