Skype Calls Over 3G Hacked Already

Jim 777

Silver Member
Reaction score
Jim,

If you're talking about the new version of Skype (not Skype Mobile, the official Verizon app), it lets you make calls over WiFi and this cracked version allows 3G as well.

The version this story is about is just Skype and it only hit the market like yesterday and ONLY works with WiFi.

And I know there's a clearer way to say that, but it's just not coming to me. :)

Clear as mud! Thanks! :biggrin:
Now that I installed the one in the OP I'm thinking that the calls over wifi need to be made to other Skype numbers, not just any phone. I'm also guessing that falls under the "well, duh" category, but hey, I know nothing of Skype.

Thanks for the input.

Jim

Bear in NM

Reaction score
Jim,

I am muddling through this as well, as I had not given skype a thought until I saw this thread. I signed up for the monthly unlimited US and Canada for 3 bucks a month, and supposedly I can call unlimited for that amount, to mobile or land lines.

Methinks this is working, as I have been testing here at my home office, and I am able to place calls via wifi or 3g. As I did not give skype a credit card number for calls by the minute, I hope this confirms that you can indeed use skype for most calling needs, with the proper monthly/minutely plan. I really needed this as for my home office, I very limited cellular coverage, only any at all with a repeater/amp. I think I can turn off my amp now, as it pertains to out going calls.

Craig

carlz28

Premium Member
Premium Member
Theme Developer
Reaction score
I have no real need for Skype.
But I do want to give kudos to xeudoxus.
This fine man has given our community some priceless tools and apps for our phones.

Thanks again to WenWM for posting this and especially xeudoxus for this awesome addition to our ever-growing applications list!

furbearingmammal

Super Moderator
Reaction score
Website
swdouglas.blogspot.com
Current Phone Model
32GB Moto X Developers Edition
Twitter
furryvarmint
Jim,

Mud's my specialty -- just try my coffee if I'm not paying attention. ;)

Skype lets you call non-Skype contacts, but in order to do so you need Skype credit, which is like 2 cents a minute, depending on where you're calling to/from. It's worth reading up on. I just use mine so I can get calls from a friend who lives in Canada who can only get to a computer for a few hours every week and whom I very much enjoy talking to. Skype on Canadian PC + Skype on my Droid = phone call instead of trying to chat/text while driving. :D

Plus, Skype Mobile works with my Bluetooth headset, so no tickets while talking. $50 + $85 court costs = OUCH!

Rogziel

Reaction score
Jim,

Mud's my specialty -- just try my coffee if I'm not paying attention. ;)

Skype lets you call non-Skype contacts, but in order to do so you need Skype credit, which is like 2 cents a minute, depending on where you're calling to/from. It's worth reading up on. I just use mine so I can get calls from a friend who lives in Canada who can only get to a computer for a few hours every week and whom I very much enjoy talking to. Skype on Canadian PC + Skype on my Droid = phone call instead of trying to chat/text while driving. :D

Plus, Skype Mobile works with my Bluetooth headset, so no tickets while talking. $50 + $85 court costs = OUCH!

So technicality using skype wont make free calls. Say if I wanted to call me GF and talk to her for 3 hours for free. :p

Rogziel

Reaction score
Last question, being the Dumb**** I really em.

Is there any possible way to screw this up and get charged other then "calling someone who doesn't have skype"?

rjsurfer

Reaction score
OK, I give up were is the download for this .APK?

I would love to try this on 3G....

thanks

Ron W.

Tallica

Premium Member
Premium Member
Rescue Squad
Reaction score
I don't use Skype regularly but I did have a use recently that Skype surprisingly didn't help with. I was out of the country and couldn't leave airplane mode or face serious roaming charges. Skype wouldn't call over wifi.

Is that something that now is possible? If not, what's the real advantage here?
Airplane mode kills WiFi connections. It kills ALL wireless connections.

If you turn on airplane mode, THEN turn wifi on you should be all set.

Doesn't work if wifi is on then you go into airplane mode, but airplane mode 1st then wifi on works.

icculusX

Premium Member
Premium Member
Theme Developer
Reaction score
I have never used Skype. From what I read it would be useless to me being that none of my buddies or family are on Skype either. So it would cost money to call anyone. I guess I'll wait till people go for it more....

roaddaw9

Reaction score
Can someone help me to understand?

So if I buy the Unlimited Canada and US plan for $2.99 a month from Skype. I can then use the Skype cracked version to make unlimited calls over 3G? IE skipping my minutes and not going over?

Droidfish

Reaction score
Yea buddy, Xeu, thanks! This guy keeps this whole community moving forward including all the good devs around him.