Skype Calls Over 3G Hacked Already

chrisngrod

Reaction score
On Fring how do you do a video connection with a PC user who has a webcam?

dietche

Reaction score
On Fring how do you do a video connection with a PC user who has a webcam?

They can be on any of those services I said in my prior post on their PC.

If they are a newb, prolly best to just have them install Skype or maybe
YahooIM. Those are both pretty easy to walk people through.

But, again, if they have any of those other apps already installed on their PC,
they are already good to go.

chrisngrod

Reaction score
Um Fring doesn't support Skype anymore... When I try to do a video chat with Yahoo it says that Yahoo doesn't support video calls.

Ving

Reaction score
This hack is great but won't the network operators know that calls are be made over 3G?

trandvinh

Reaction score
My phone is Samsung Vibrant. I have problem to sign in. Anyone can help? Thanks.

icebike

Reaction score
This hack is great but won't the network operators know that calls are be made over 3G?

I would say yes, the skype app thinks you are in the uk ;)

LOL. Sweet trick. I'm fine with that. :)

Hey, a question:

Some apps like Skype and Amazon Mp3 jump into memory EACH time you shift form 3G to WiFi or back.

There is no way to do a clean exit of skype. Logout does not exit.
Going to Settings / Applications and do a Force Close and it will jump in memory and start chewing battery (and hogging memory) again the instant you wander away from what ever wifi you are on and go to 3G.

(Try it yourself. Close out skype by every means you know. Then turn your wifi on or off, or drop to airplane mode and back, and Skype jumps back into memory).

There must be a setting in the app that asks android to wake it up if the IP changed or the Interface changed so it can re-establish its connection.

But some of us only use skype rarely, and the thing is a huge hog, and starts 9 processes.

Do you know of any way to force skype to properly log out and de-register from what ever notifications android is giving it?

barcodelinux

Reaction score

Hey, a question:

Some apps like Skype and Amazon Mp3 jump into memory EACH time you shift form 3G to WiFi or back.

Going to Settings / Applications and do a Force Close and it will jump in memory and start chewing battery (and hogging memory) again the instant you wander away from what ever wifi you are on and go to 3G.

(Try it yourself. Close out skype by every means you know. Then turn your wifi on or off, or drop to airplane mode and back, and Skype jumps back into memory).

There must be a setting in the app that asks android to wake it up if the IP changed or the Interface changed so it can re-establish its connection.

But some of us only use skype rarely, and the thing is a huge hog, and starts 9 processes.

Do you know of any way to force skype to properly log out and de-register from what ever notifications android is giving it?

I hate to say it, but it seems like you might have to uninstall it but keep the apk file around on the sdcard or something until you need it, then reinstall it. Crappy solution I know, but it works.

barcodelinux

Reaction score
Has anyone figured out why some users get the "call failed" error when trying to dial landlines or other mobiles?

wildta

Reaction score
I have an Evo and I also get the "call failed". Doh!

Any potential fixes yet?

Also, thanks so much for posting this!

rickt1152

Reaction score
Low call volume

Is anyone else experiencing low volume of Skype calls. It works for me over both wifi and 3G on my Droid 1, but the volume is significantly lower then the phone itself. Anyone else with this issue and more importantly, any fix?

Second issue, since this is technically not a phone call, anyway to make a BT headset work?

webs05

Reaction score
I have an Evo and this app works perfectly!! To those having issues dare I suggest pebpac? :icon_eek:

I would try to completely remove, reboot, and then reinstall. See if that helps.

wtabke

Reaction score

Hey, a question:

I hate to say it, but it seems like you might have to uninstall it but keep the apk file around on the sdcard or something until you need it, then reinstall it. Crappy solution I know, but it works.

You may want to try AutoStarts - to some extent you can control the applications that start on boot and which ones get loaded when system events occur - change in network/sd card...

Certain apps load anyway - other applications use exposed functions so there is not much you can do about that.

Also, it seems after updating some apps, I have had to go into AutoStarts and re-disable them.

fenriswolf039

Reaction score
Am I missing something here? My Skype is updated to the latest version, and doesn't work on wifi.

So, what is the advantage of this? I can't imagine wanting to use Skype for anything OTHER than wifi, but it has never worked and as a result I don't use it.

I have a Skype phone number, and subscribe to the unlimited service. I want to be able to use it over wifi, not 3G.

b8b

Reaction score
Doesn't work for me. I can call toll free numbers, but even though I have Skype credit, any calls to toll US landlines from the USA don't work. I am leaving for China and was hoping this would work. Bummer. I SO hate Verizon. This is yet another reason why a jailbroken iPhone 3GS is STILL VASTLY SUPERIOR TO ANDROID - I can use it for Skype and a bunch of other things anywhere on earth there is GSM with a prepaid data SIM card (have done it in Asia and all over Europe).

WTF is your problem Google/Verizon?! I have to hack your "open" phone to rival the functionality I had with apple years ago?

Google=EVIL=FAIL.
Google=SATAN=FAIL.

Goodbye, VZW and Android. Good riddance!